The Buildings of Studley and Astwood Bank

Sweven

I have THAT tool, and never thought of using it for modelling....DOH

urinal.......did you ever see act-mr's nasty attempt at a urinal......smelly stinking......probably very realistic LOL.....the choice of green stain......was VERY evocative.... :O

HI Jaz,

Yes I found acg_mr's urinal when I googled for Victorian Urinals (there is a phrase I never thought I would type) - he has done a superb job. I got out the yellow and green paint and did something similar, but then decided that back in early LMS days when the station would have had several staff they would never have been allowed to get that filthy, so I have since toned it down a bit. Photos coming soon.

I find the little set square invaluable for creating square corners when building with card and plastic.

Hi Sweven, your photos have so much atmosphere in them. I love what you're doing.

Thanks JCL. And thank you for all your excellent posts about the Silhouette Cutter - my wife has one for making cards and I borrow it occasionally to cut curved roof tiles.

Well, after pressing various 'like', 'craftsmanship' etc buttons on pages 1 and 2 I stopped and have spent some time crawling through your thread. Some great modeling, to put it mildly! I grew up in Earlswood, a few miles to the east, on the GWR North Warwickshire Line and have now embarked on a model of Shipston-on-Stour station. Most of the buildings I acquired and they are in better shape than I could hope to realize myself. So I have to do them justice with everything else.

As noted early in the thread Mike Musson's wonderful site, warwickshirerailways.com, has been a major resource for anyone working on models within the county. His pages plus various books have really helped along the way. Sadly all of Shipston's station has gone, but member steveNCB7754 was able to measure all the structures before making his excellent models.

There is no doubt that inspiration abounds from the networking with RMWeb. Thank you for sharing the details of your techniques and progress!

Well, after pressing various 'like', 'craftsmanship' etc buttons on pages 1 and 2 I stopped and have spent some time crawling through your thread. Some great modeling, to put it mildly! I grew up in Earlswood, a few miles to the east, on the GWR North Warwickshire Line and have now embarked on a model of Shipston-on-Stour station. Most of the buildings I acquired and they are in better shape than I could hope to realize myself. So I have to do them justice with everything else.

As noted early in the thread Mike Musson's wonderful site, warwickshirerailways.com, has been a major resource for anyone working on models within the county. His pages plus various books have really helped along the way. Sadly all of Shipston's station has gone, but member steveNCB7754 was able to measure all the structures before making his excellent models.

There is no doubt that inspiration abounds from the networking with RMWeb. Thank you for sharing the details of your techniques and progress!

Welcome to the thread Paul. Thank you for your kind comments and feedback and for taking the time to read through it all! I have many books covering the area and will have a look tonight at pictures of Shipston-on-Stour. I see your railway interests are many and varied - I look forward to seeing some photographs of your layout in due course.

Regards John

You've made an absolutely fabulous job of that urinal John. What brick product did you use?

Hi freebs,

I used Slaters brick for the urinal to match the main station buildings. You may remember way back at the start of this thread I experimented with South Eastern Finecast, Slaters and Wills brick sheets - I think they all have their place depending on the building you want to represent. To me Slaters has the cleanest/tidiest appearance which suited the station at Studley, but you have to beware when building large walls because their brick courses do not stay true across a whole sheet.

Cheers

John

I have been completing small details around the station yard over the weekend. One of those was adding paving around the weighbridge and a rail along its edge. For that I turned the layout around to get better access, so this photograph is from a different angle than most of the previous ones.

post-20290-0-33041200-1414957053_thumb.jpg

Not meaning to be pushy.....much :angel: ....any update on the latrines?

Sorry, was planning some final plumbing/installation of the urinal last night but was roped into playing cricket instead. Feeling sore today. There will be some progress on the layout this weekend!

Inspired by Focalplane's post above I did find my copy of Colin Maggs' book "Branch Lines of Warwickshire" and read about Shipston-on-Stour and the horse tramway. There is a wonderful recollection in the book about the horse being unhitched from its rail wagon and 'jumping' up onto the back of the wagon for the downhill sections of the trip!

I have placed the urinal extension on the layout, although the adjacent shed is not yet fixed in place and needs some repairs and roof flashing. Starting work on the surrounding garden next.

The bird's eye view shows where I need to add flashing to the shed roof.

post-20290-0-87403600-1415563154.jpg

The door lock is part of a Brassmasters' window fret with a wire handle. I managed to break some of the trim off the shed - which makes it look less cared for then it probably should be at the time.

post-20290-0-69910100-1415563169_thumb.jpg

The door handle is great.....never realised the guys loos have no roof....what if you want do more than a  P......do you sneak in to the ladies???

Hi Jaz, 

There is a proper toilet around on the station platform - with a roof! So this urinal is just for busy times I suppose! I suspect this extension probably was the outside bathroom or a wash-house for the stationmaster's house and not a urinal, but I can't find any evidence and fancied building a urinal at least for now :-)

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

The door handle is great.....never realised the guys loos have no roof....what if you want do more than a  P......do you sneak in to the ladies???

Same with some pub toilets (and Wainfleet Station) Jaz - no roof = easier to keep clean. You just need to get rid of the algae and moss from time to time (you don't want to slip and fall in there).

Down by the goods shed external contractors have been busy laying and ballasting the siding track. As mentioned in a previous post the last contractors used the well tried technique of spreading ballast first and then wetting it and adding diluted PVA with a drop of washing up liquid. This certainly worked but I wasn't satisfied with the results with the C&L track which has thin sleepers, so new contractors have been sought. They are using a brute force approach where undiluted PVA is spread between the sleepers. They also performed the very tedious task of removing all the webbing from the sleepers, which I think provides a better result but means that they have to manually position each sleeper when laying track. Next time I have advised them to put double-sided tape on the back of each track panel before they remove the webbing!

Here are some photographs of their progress. 

By removing the webbing I was trying to emphasise the gap underneath the bullhead rail as in this photograph. Arguably I should now top up the ballast between the sleepers with finer ash/cinders. The abrupt edge facing the camera on the closest siding is where the cattle dock is sited.

post-20290-0-07356700-1415682555.jpg

I was pleased to see that the goods shed doors still could be closed once the track had been ballasted in place.

post-20290-0-61001000-1415682550_thumb.jpg

post-20290-0-54484600-1415682636.jpg

It was also satisfying that a wagon could still roll through the shed without hitting anything!

post-20290-0-66487000-1415682644_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Sweven, pleased to see that you are using proper contractors for your ballast laying, and not the same bunch of idiots that I am using for my wiring, (they have already left the freezer unplugged for 2 days). I like the pics of the goods shed a great view of the crane. All the best Adrian.

Hi Sweven, pleased to see that you are using proper contractors for your ballast laying, and not the same bunch of idiots that I am using for my wiring, (they have already left the freezer unplugged for 2 days). I like the pics of the goods shed a great view of the crane. All the best Adrian

ooooooooooooooooooooooooops......

hope its a chest freezer they retain the cold much better imo.

A sever for when the freezer is not too full and loses its cold air when opened.....add scrunched up newspaper........

but don't open it to add this when there is a power failure!!!! better to leave door well SHUT....until you can turn it on........

and if you consider claiming on insurance be careful that your excess does not make the claim futile...and just put up your yearly fee.........

The dock siding in front of the goods office needs a buffer stop - a standard Midland rail built job with a 3 rail beam as in this photograph. So last night I found some used code 75 bull head rail and started making my own kit based on some drawings by M S Cross.

This is progress so far. Bending the rail was difficult, I thought at one point I might have to make a mini-forge and tiny bellows and find a little hammer to beat it into shape. Two of the bends are better than the others so I'll used them on the outside where they are more visible.

post-20290-0-82894100-1415821513.jpg

The dock siding in front of the goods office needs a buffer stop - a standard Midland rail built job with a 3 rail beam as in this photograph. So last night I found some used code 75 bull head rail and started making my own kit based on some drawings by M S Cross.

This is progress so far. Bending the rail was difficult, I thought at one point I might have to make a mini-forge and tiny bellows and find a little hammer to beat it into shape. Two of the bends are better than the others so I'll used them on the outside where they are more visible.

attachicon.gifParts.jpg

Shall look forward to this ones progress, we have spare rail....and I might be able to emulate this......

Archived