Peak Photos and Memories

5 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

The battery box covers are the easiest giveaway but there are a couple of things you can barely see - the 46 didn't have the flush access flap on one side under the long grill but they did have a small extra roof panel between the fan and the engine access covers.

Agreed about the battery box covers ('X' pattern on 45s, plain on 46s, for those wondering....) - first thing I look for when studying photos of Peaks with a flush end and illegible number, just to be sure of what I'm looking at.....!

• Like 1

On 16/09/2023 at 02:49, Halvarras said:

D138 - 173 were built new with this type, D174 - 193 with one-piece headcode panels. None originally had the small exposed 'sort of triangular' grille below the main side grille either. During the mid-60s refurbishment D138 - 173 had their split headcodes replaced by the single type and all gained the small side grilles. I'm not sure why the headcode replacement was deemed necessary, however many Class 45s were converted to the single type as well - with the exposed small grilles too, making these and Class 46s look almost identical - and I remember reading somewhere that the Peak refurbishment programme would have had both classes tidied up and looking the same, however underfunding meant the cosmetic changes to the Class 45s came to a premature end, with just the more important technical improvements being applied. 

My understanding is that D138-173 had central bar in a centre head code box and D174-193 had centre head codes (no central bar)

cheers malc

• Informative/Useful 1