Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

• RMweb Gold

Yes, Minehead is definitely in my range! I'll be there with my layout Bratton Lane next week - Driving very gingerly across Exmoor to get there.

I'll keep an eye on this, and future, layout threads.

Regards,

James

Hi Rob

Good to see you again on Saturday andn to see the layout in the flesh. Hope you'll be able to make next year - the date will be Saturday 6th August. Might you be able to come down and see us this coming Saturday for this year's Exmoor Rail?????

All the best

Dave

Hi Rob

Good to see you again on Saturday andn to see the layout in the flesh. Hope you'll be able to make next year - the date will be Saturday 6th August. Might you be able to come down and see us this coming Saturday for this year's Exmoor Rail?????

All the best

Dave

Hi Dave,

I will check with the domestic authorities re next year and let you know. Unfortunately we are away on Saturday so will miss this years show, hope all goes well and you get a good attendance.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a while since I last posted an update, I haven't done much modelling over the summer months and what little time I had has been spent getting Pallet Lane ready for sale (I am pleased to say that the original part of the layout has a new owner and will be making its way north next month).

I have a VIP coming to see Peafore Yard next week (their identity will be revealed Monday eve) so have been adding some details to the scrap yard office, namely telephone junction box and toilet waste pipes, before and after shots below:

post-7400-0-64940500-1440104155_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-18933200-1440104168_thumb.jpg

Talking of scrap, I have been meaning to make some scrap loads now I have 2 rakes of 16t wagons. As the loads are removable and it is laborious making scrap, the loads have a false bottom consisting of a small piece of wood onto which Plasticard is mounted and scrap added on top. To remove the load you push down on one end and lift out from the other. My pile of scrap pieces was only enough for one wagon so lots more to make:

post-7400-0-90782800-1440104363_thumb.jpgpost-7400-0-45670000-1440104376_thumb.jpgpost-7400-0-79974100-1440104386_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Hello Rob

I've been catching up with Peafore Yard and hitting the like button again!

The layout is even more amazing when it's revealed in it's entirety (post 474)

Sorry if I've overlooked this in an earlier post - what sort of opperating sequence do you have to keep things moving on such a small layout at exhibitions?

Alan

Edited by 60091
  • Like 1

Hello Rob

I've been catching up with Peafore Yard and hitting the like button again!

The layout is even more amazing when it's revealed in it's entirety (post 474)

Sorry if I've overlooked this in an earlier post - what sort of opperating sequence do you have to keep things moving on such a small layout at exhibitions?

Alan

Hi Alan

Basically I have 3 trains for the lower level; cement, scrap and a third train which is generally a rake of 12 t vans or ballast wagons. The first 2 trains are simply worked by the loco bringing wagons from the fiddle yard and exchanging with those wagons on the layout. The third is brought onto the layout, the engine runs around and goes back of scene again.

For the upper level, the mainline loco brings the train into the central platform, then runs round back to the fiddle yard. At a later point the 08 arrives from the fiddle yard and shunts the from off scene.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good work with the load for the scrap wagon.

I made a few myself awhile (can't locate any photos for the moment), for both OBA / OCA's and mineral wagons. Great fun to do, but do take quite some considerable time, with preparing the bits, painting and weathering, then the glueing in position .....

Good work with the load for the scrap wagon.

I made a few myself awhile (can't locate any photos for the moment), for both OBA / OCA's and mineral wagons. Great fun to do, but do take quite some considerable time, with preparing the bits, painting and weathering, then the glueing in position .....

Can't agree more Richard, it is worth the effort to get the end result.

I have done a few bits and pieces in readiness for my visitor today:

One of the things that I have meant to address was the low bridge triangle as the original warning sign was pixelated, to the point I can't believe I actually bothered gluing it in place, it was that bad. New one is now in place, the actual bridge is 14' 9" but I could find a clear image of the sign so have gone with a 14'6" sign.

post-7400-0-58135400-1440407013_thumb.jpg

The photo above shows the new sign and the class 08 which has been renumbered as 08949. This loco is the original Bachmann release which does not have the air brake compartment on the drivers side which I will add at some point along with some new handrails.

The current Rail Express has an article on taking going away shots of trains, here is my effort of 47077 on a London bound train, the compact nature of the back of the layout makes this a difficult shot to capture.

post-7400-0-95056500-1440407308_thumb.jpg

Also some class 03 pictures in the lower level:

post-7400-0-46018700-1440407335_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-11960300-1440407350_thumb.jpg

Edited by 37114
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Looking good, as ever, Rob.

No problem with a bridge sign being a bit lower than the bridge. I forget the exact calculations they use but it is always on the side of caution, as we found out at the "Chocolate Poodle" bridge where they resurfaced the road without scraping enough of the old material off. As part of the work they re-measured the bridge and found their mistake, so simply changed the height on the sign! The problem was the new height shown was less that the height of a Wilts & Dorset VR, and the sign had been changed from a triangular "warning" to a circular "prohibited" one at the same time. For several days the VRs happily went under the bridge until an observant bus driver noticed the new sign! We asked if the sign could be changed to allow VRs under, which was when the Highway Engineer explained the calculation, and concluded by saying "no".

• Like 2

Looking good, as ever, Rob.

No problem with a bridge sign being a bit lower than the bridge. I forget the exact calculations they use but it is always on the side of caution, as we found out at the "Chocolate Poodle" bridge where they resurfaced the road without scraping enough of the old material off. As part of the work they re-measured the bridge and found their mistake, so simply changed the height on the sign! The problem was the new height shown was less that the height of a Wilts & Dorset VR, and the sign had been changed from a triangular "warning" to a circular "prohibited" one at the same time. For several days the VRs happily went under the bridge until an observant bus driver noticed the new sign! We asked if the sign could be changed to allow VRs under, which was when the Highway Engineer explained the calculation, and concluded by saying "no".

Oops!

I did a project on bridge bashing some years ago and one of the accidents was caused by new tarmac being laid but the council didn't adjust the sign so our driver was blameless, we were amazed the new tarmac had made that much difference as generally there is at least 6 inches wriggle room on whatever is signposted. I have also known a driver get a 15'3" trailer under a 14'3" bridge!

• Like 1

Oops!

I did a project on bridge bashing some years ago and one of the accidents was caused by new tarmac being laid but the council didn't adjust the sign so our driver was blameless, we were amazed the new tarmac had made that much difference as generally there is at least 6 inches wriggle room on whatever is signposted. I have also known a driver get a 15'3" trailer under a 14'3" bridge!

Back in my Bristol TOPS days in the 1980s Avon Street bridge, and Whitby Road bridge at East Depot, were two that regularly got 'bashed'.

Avon Street use to get hit by the skip lorries, there were ( and presumably still are) some deep scars in the brick work under the arch,

cheers

Todays visitor was none other than Andy York:

post-7400-0-34468200-1440421744_thumb.jpg

Andy came to photograph the layout in readiness for a future BRM article, Andy's skill with the camera being in a different league to my own, even on the camera the pictures I saw looked great. It was great to catch up and talk trains for a few hours and hear Andy's thoughts for a slightly different approach to the article which I am really excited about.

Andy had a handy mini tripod which are useful for some of the close up's. It was at this point that I wished I had detailed the back of the retaining walls!

post-7400-0-05422100-1440422022_thumb.jpg

I took the opportunity to take a high level shot of the proceedings.

post-7400-0-38719800-1440422080_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Todays visitor was none other than Andy York:

Andy had a handy mini tripod which are useful for some of the close up's. It was at this point that I wished I had detailed the back of the retaining walls!

Don't worry I'm sure he can dabble in Photoshop!

• Like 1

Hi Rob, I'm looking forward to the article, don't worry about the walls, he even managed to make my Layouts look good :O so you've NO WORRIES. Its looking superb and I like the line up of Motive Power, NICE. :sungum:

Back in my Bristol TOPS days in the 1980s Avon Street bridge, and Whitby Road bridge at East Depot, were two that regularly got 'bashed'.

Avon Street use to get hit by the skip lorries, there were ( and presumably still are) some deep scars in the brick work under the arch,

cheers

I had one of my drivers hit Whitby Road Bridge some years ago, he wrote of a 4 week old trailer.....

Don't worry I'm sure he can dabble in Photoshop!

It will take a lot more than photoshop to sort out the photo he took of me, there are too many blemishes!

• Like 2

Great to see who the 'mystery visitor' turned out to be! :) look forward to seeing the article. Still annoyed that I couldn't get to Barnstaple to see this, any more shows in Devon or Somerrset planned?

Hi Rich,

Closest to you will be Minehead 6th August next year, otherwise it is a trip into Wiltshire or South Gloucestershire I am afraid:

Chippenham this October

Yate in January 16

Trainwest (Corsham) April 16

Thornbury in November 16

• Like 1

It's amazing, Rob!

I was following this thread since its beginning,

but I needed the second pic in post #493 above to realize

how much width you have left in front of the tracks.

This gives a feeling of ample space exp. as a contrast to the crowded background

– very convincing!

Great work – I do like simple and compact well executed layouts such as this…

staying tuned for more.

Armin

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

Closest to you will be Minehead 6th August next year, otherwise it is a trip into Wiltshire or South Gloucestershire I am afraid:

Chippenham this October

Yate in January 16

Trainwest (Corsham) April 16

Thornbury in November 16

I've been kicking myself for missing the Cheltenham show, so intend to catch you at Yate in January.

But could I suggest you post a reminder a week or two ahead of your appearances, to give your followers a timely kick up the rear!

All the best and thanks for modelling an area and era I remember well.

TONY

It's amazing, Rob!

I was following this thread since its beginning,

but I needed the second pic in post #493 above to realize

how much width you have left in front of the tracks.

This gives a feeling of ample space exp. as a contrast to the crowded background

– very convincing!

Great work – I do like simple and compact well executed layouts such as this…

staying tuned for more.

Armin

Thanks Armin, I am definitely glad I resisted the temptation to have added another siding or a building where the derelict land is.