Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

Hello Rob

More excellent photos. I do like the car flats... always a good decision to batch build once you know you're going to need more than one!

Can I assume they're built from redundant Mk1s? If they are - seeing yours made me wish I built a few, rather than parting with my old coaching stock for peanuts a few years ago. 

Without doing an internet search, I was wondering if the crewbus kit was still available?

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

Yes they are built on old Mk1 underframes, I used Coopercraft chassis, Bachmann bogies and Wills planking, the rest was scratch built with the aid of jigs. In the fullness of time I may build another batch as apparently most services had 7 or 8 of them!

Re the crew bus Jon Hall is on the forum (jonhall), he used to make them at Resin making Demos so may be worth a PM. Road Transport images do a version as well www.roadtransportimages.com

• Like 1

Brilliant thanks Kevin, that gantry is perfect, I will get crcking o it in the next few weeks, do you have any more photos of it pleasee, every little helps but if not then no probs?

The Bubble car still retains the original wheel sets so can't run on the layout at the moment till I get my hands on some replacements. I also have a 3 car 117 which has the same problem, and have been mulling over getting shot and buying Dapol replacements.

Hi Rob, 

it looks like I only have a couple more photos with the gantry in.

I walked past it every day to work in my last job with EWS at Barton Hill until 2007, but never took photos then.

Here is a colour photo taken from the same side

post-7081-0-43597200-1417442794.jpg

50007 Hercules again passes under the gantry with 3A21 11.25 Malago Vale to Old Oak Common empty news vans, 2/6/83

And a shot from the other side looking towards Barton Hill, but this does not show much detail

post-7081-0-11410800-1417442785.jpg

Light diesel 37287 under the gantry, 20/9/83

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 8

As promised to Ramblin Rich on Friday, albeit a bit later than planned I took some pictures of the Morris Minor tonight, just before it was secured in place on the layout. For cars I simply glue them to the layout but secure anything larger than a Land Rover down with thin wire passed through 2 holes in the baseboard then wound together underneath the board on a similar principle used to secure childrens toys to cardboard packaging.  I have also posed the Leyland crew bus on the layout as I needed to do some more work on it earlier.

Layout wise I have fitted some telegraph poles and another street light, while the chain link fencing continues, all courtesy of Ratio products. Despite being small details they all add "height" to the layout which is important on such a small sized baseboard. I resisted the temptation to add the Telegraph wires as they would be a nuisance when coupling up stock.

post-7400-0-37224000-1417470314_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-95561400-1417470502_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-75586400-1417470531_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-42763300-1417470568_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Sourcing of the figures is somewhat a detective challenge, Bachmann do some lovely bang up to date figures such as workman etc plastered in Orange HV clothing but there seems to be a dearth of anything in between 1960's and now. The Presier range do some nice figures which can suit, and the Punks on Pallet Lane got many mentions/smiles over the years. I don't think I photographed it but Dave gave me a white metal figure that looks to be a 1970's driver (complete with BR badge on the Hat!) that he bought in error and is too late for his layout, frustratingly I have no idea who produced it.

Could that be one of the Phoenix 4mm range? http://www.forty-third.co.uk/76_phoenix_figures.htm

I expect you can guess I've been looking for '70s figures too (1972 to be precise). Trouble is I need mainly general public figures so I can see a lot of styrene and Milliput remodelling will be happening!

Indeed, I have some trainspotter figures for the top level platofrm end but they do like they are from an earlier era with a distinct lack of flares and long hair.

Great photos of a great layout, that is coming along a treat. I love the look of the grotty industrial scene you have created. However fiddly you found the Ratio chain wire fence, it looks just right. Top job. :imsohappy:

Cheers, Gary.

Great photos of a great layout, that is coming along a treat. I love the look of the grotty industrial scene you have created. However fiddly you found the Ratio chain wire fence, it looks just right. Top job. :imsohappy:

Cheers, Gary.

Thanks Gary,  it is really difficult to get the right tension but it is the first time I have been reasonably happy with the results.

Last set of pictures are great.  I very much liked your last layout but this one is a real step up in terms of realism, excellent work!  Particularly in regards to the change from peco track to C and L, it makes a big difference.

Thank you, I am definitely glad I made the effort to make the C&L track, and I am pleased how the track has turned out. I am just hoping it proves to be as reliable in use as Pallet Lane was as I have to say the peco track and points were bullet proof. I have pencilled in a few days to just "play trains" and properly test the layout post Christmas to give me enough time to remedy any problems prior to the show in April.  

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

Nice set of pics, I really need to do the chassis on my two class 25s, it's a real improvement on the Bachmann one.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, I want to sort out the cabs at some point as well, I have a Hornby shell for detailing for my 25/1 but really need a set of either silver fox or some 3d printed cabs for 25278.

• Like 1

I made the fold up cover for the front of the layout today, as I have been worried about damage to the layout now the garage is a bit more cluttered. The cover is 6mm ply secured to Piano hinge, and will be used to display pictures of the layout in build, info about the layout and the QR code link to this thread. The holes visible are to allow the legs to be bolted on while the cover is closed to protect the scenery while the layout is being put up. I had planned to make a top hinged version for the left hand end  as well today but didn't have the ply in stock.

post-7400-0-60900400-1417953032_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Looking good Rob!

Reminds me of my parents old TV cabinate, I wonder if the Mrs would mind if something like this replaced the TV at home...... ;)

Thanks Matt, The kids have shown more interest in this layout which I have put down to the TV effect!

• Like 2

This looks the bizz!!

when wil we see with few "37"s .. :sungum: :locomotive:

cheers neil.

Thanks Neil, All 3 Pallet Lane class 37s will appear, I am thinking of renumbering 37009 to 37029 as it had 0000 head codes in 1977 as opposed to dominoes which appear on the other 2 class 37s.

• Like 1

I made the fold up cover for the front of the layout today, as I have been worried about damage to the layout now the garage is a bit more cluttered. The cover is 6mm ply secured to Piano hinge, and will be used to display pictures of the layout in build, info about the layout and the QR code link to this thread. The holes visible are to allow the legs to be bolted on while the cover is closed to protect the scenery while the layout is being put up. I had planned to make a top hinged version for the left hand end  as well today but didn't have the ply in stock.

Lokks really good and neat and tidy, the drop down piece wirks great and given me ideas of a similar thing for Eddington, i did consider hinges on the joint so it folds up into a box but im unsure if it will be stable enough.

• RMweb Gold

Lokks really good and neat and tidy, the drop down piece wirks great and given me ideas of a similar thing for Eddington, i did consider hinges on the joint so it folds up into a box but im unsure if it will be stable enough.

I have seen this done and can be quite effective. Of course fully protects the layout when stored or transported. The "top" lid can also be used to support the info board, tucked back at an angle and secured to the supporting legs. I think that this how Eldavo has done this on Cramdin Yard (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1207-cramdin-yard/)