Temeraire

• RMweb Premium

Hi David

I know what you mean about the grey I did consider it, but there will be a few grey buildings behind for the China Clay facilities and in any case this warehouse is assumed to be a replacement for the one at Andover. (In my world anyway ;) ) I hope that once all the buildings are in place it will all blend together to create a good looking scene, if not I can always paint it again!

IMG_7184.JPG.d8e84e4c8b38f10b1c863ba2a6127ba8.JPG

The Switch warehouse at Andover station formally the UKF warehouse.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Any news on when and where the first exhibition will be? I personally will be coming along to see it in action - and say hello.

I know but it's not 'official' yet, I will post it as soon as I have the confirmation, but it'll be a bit of journey from Leicester mate although you'll be very welcome to have a play.  ;)

I know but it's not 'official' yet, I will post it as soon as I have the confirmation, but it'll be a bit of journey from Leicester mate although you'll be very welcome to have a play.  ;)

Next SWAG do? Good result last weekend, did everyone behave afterwards?

• RMweb Premium

Next SWAG do? Good result last weekend, did everyone behave afterwards?

No not SWAG not part of that club. Yes good result and performance although Leeds were poor, get more of an idea this week at Fulham I think, but I am cautiously optimistic for the season as it has to be better than last year!

Hi Temeraire,

Love the layout and well makes me thing about the railways in the area since I am based that way! Are you thinking of having armour etc on your warflats at all? if you wanted I could find out what was based Tidworth way in the right years for you?

Gareth

Hi Ian,

fantastic work so far, the shed should look good in blue. Would you he able to PM me the proposed dates and location of Tidworth's first outing so I can check whether I'm working or not? (If I pin it down now, Mrs Satan can't complain I haven't given her plenty of notice!)

cheers

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Hi Temeraire,

Love the layout and well makes me thing about the railways in the area since I am based that way! Are you thinking of having armour etc on your warflats at all? if you wanted I could find out what was based Tidworth way in the right years for you?

Gareth

Hi Gareth

Thanks for your praise, much appreciated. As for the warflat that I have it will probably stay empty for the time being at least until I acquire more, however, I have a cunning plan! ;)

I have spoken nicely to Kevin (Mr Leaford) and he has agreed to me borrowing the Leaford 'tank train' at exhibitions which I believe are correct for the period. 

post-6922-0-82646000-1408621959.jpg

post-6922-0-91711600-1408621977.jpg

post-6922-0-18962800-1408621995.jpg

I hope you don't mind me 'borrowing' your pictures either Kevin?

• Like 9

Very Nice indeed,

other things I know would have been in Tidworth area for trains would have been Challenger 1, AS90, Warriors, FV432 APC, and there would have been a large number of M103 self propelled artillery going to be decommissioned and meeting the cutters torch, as there army there will always be more!

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

With the warehouse almost complete thoughts have turned to the next project on the list which will be the overbridge end of the layout. However, last night I decided to experiment with adding corrugations to one of the plastic gutter silos for the china clay sidings. This was always the plan but I wasn't sure if the ribbed plasticard could be made to stick successfully horizontally. After rubbing the shine off the outside of the gutter with emery paper I had a go and it appears that Evostick is my friend! 

89_Silo1_210814.jpg.970dd6cebe55322f35795c22049d9f47.jpg

Silo 1 sports horizontal corrugations, just need to fit a top, prime and paint with a silvery colour and job done times three.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Challenger 1, AS90, Warriors, FV432 APC, and there would have been a large number of M103

Only the Warrior and Fv series APC's fit within gauge I'm afraid ;) the warrior already has to go on a special platform to slew it to one side to accommodate the turret on a warwell. The MBT and artillery are too wide and tall.

Well Paul,

Everyday is a school day! I know FV432 goes on them I have drove them on, not a task I enjoyed! One wrong move and you break a tank or a train, either way nothing would be moving anywhere! One oddity would be the MLRS there was lots moving around at the time of layout anyone for a GULF WAR? They would fit as well it's basically part of the FV series.

Edited by acko22

• RMweb Gold

I know FV432 goes on them I have drove them on, not a task I enjoyed! One wrong move and you break a tank or a train, either way nothing would be moving anywhere! One oddity would be the MLRS there was lots moving around at the time of layout anyone for a GULF WAR? They would fit as well it's basically part of the FV series.

Gareth, I think you'll find the MRLS is also too big with that massive housing on it as it's so square. Never seen one on a warwell and I suspect those top corners would be out of gauge as it must be wider than a container and we only get the big ones of those through on low wagons in many places not gauged for W10. Though dimensionally it's slightly smaller than a Warrior it's the fact it's square rather than just a central turret that makes it difficult to fit.

Somewhere I have a photo of a 432, on a warflat, with THIS WAY UP chalked on the side. I think it appeared in the Oakwood book if I can find my copy as I've no idea where the original photos are!

(I think I've just further confused Ian's dictionary ;)  )

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

yeah we have lost Ian in the Army lingo!

the MLRS does go on to the trains no issue they are actually rather small only a little bigger than a 432! I use too think they were huge then I saw one and was rather disappointed!

As for this way up that is no surprise I have seen them the wrong way up before now, does involve lots of head scratching and shouting normally with some one been told they are less use than a chocolate fire guard!

• RMweb Premium

Silo looking good Ian.

Thanks Martin, it seems the language has been reset!  ;)

Actually I've just finished painting all three of them so expect a pic or two later this weekend once dry. Off to see the 'mighty' Lions roar to another victory, I live in hope anyway!

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all

Got home a bit early today so took the chance of getting some pics in daylight to mark another landmark day, as it's now 6 months since kick-off today! :O So a few pics of the state of play and what I've been working on most recently.

90_Platview_270814.jpg.e42ea97d85b47a07bafcd76d98f9a3bc.jpg

View from the platform end showing the warehouse (again!) and the three clay slurry silos that have now been painted and placed on the layout. In front of the silos are posed the UKF vans that have recently arrived and pictured at the request of Scott.

91_Clayfacs_270814.jpg.814e6986bb9c3c365579cf4c4a1135ad.jpg

Closer view of the clay facilities showing the silos on the raised area bounded by a steel retaining wall that is just painted rust at the moment. The cardboard building is probably the next building to be tackled with something permanent. The site office is to be the pump house and will be connected to the silos with pipework. Lost more detail and painting/weathering to come in this area but it is taking shape.

92_Switch_270814.jpg.edd74ce823c2c8b30fc87a22c6a7c875.jpg

A daylight pic of the warehouse which still awaits detail on the platform etc.

93_Bridge1_270814.jpg.8db9ed9f867362e6bd5456845ad94fa2.jpg

Swinging the camera around to the other end we see the road overbridge at the exit to the traverser. This is at the primed stage at the moment and not fixed down yet to aid painting and weathering.

94_Bridge2_270814.jpg.8d90af08dac2ddd785e944608bbe954a.jpg

Second view of the bridge which has been built using Wills Varigirders, a stone effect plasticard and a base of 3mm MDF. Once this is painted it will be stuck in place and the groundworks around it completed before the green stuff is added.

96_OverviewLud_270814.jpg.d218a709844444df1e70ad4af21bf03f.jpg

Overview of the right hand end of the layout.

95_OverviewCend_270814.jpg.7abcef3226d9c649b23e2df536f97cf0.jpg

And finally overview of the left hand end. The lump of chalk was rescued from the front garden whilst clearing up after pruning the hedge on Friday. This will be crushed up and used when the scenery is added for that authentic Hampshire chalk look!

It doesn't seem possible that it has been six months since I arrived home from B&Q with a pile of cut plywood, however it seems I have a little under 8 months left until the layout's first exhibition booking now!  :swoon:

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 10

All looking great, after 6 months, I wish mine had progressed to that stage in 6 months. :stinker:

Nice UKF vans, and silo's but that warehouse is just superb!!!! :sungum:

At your rate, you should have it done easily by the booking!!!! ;) :imsohappy:

Jinty ;-)