Temeraire

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Just a quick thank you to the team behind the Basingstoke exhibition for their hospitality over the weekend and my operating team Chris, Rhys, Andy, Scott & Stu for their help keeping things moving for two days, I hope you all enjoyed yourselves. Also there was a 'guest' appearance by Steve (Gearjammer) who 'had a go' on Saturday afternoon.

Tidworth was back home and put away by 6pm last night and probably won't see the light of day until we do it all again at Brockenhurst at the end of May.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Temeraire said:

After fitting a third motor/gearbox solution and a new chip and stay alive I think Paul was glad to finally see the back of it!

Ha! Yeah, ironic that when I finally succumbed to building the chassis myself, which I try to avoid these days as it’s so damn fiddly, it works 🤪

Fingers crossed it beds in more and quietens down further. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • Temeraire changed the title to Tidworth - NSE circa 1990.
1 hour ago, Temeraire said:

Evening all

So two months on from the Basingstoke Ex I started a project I've been thinking about for a while that should be ready for the New Forest Ex in Brockenhurst in a couple of weeks. The Bachmann 117 unit hadn't been weathered up until now as I was contemplating respraying the blue to the earlier lighter colour as I did previously with my Mk2 coaches. So with some time off last week and the weather more suited to paint spraying I jumped in with both feet and also included the Dapol 121 that was a different colour entirely!

DMUs1_230509.jpg.0c21c4307715e0f2560484843a43b189.jpg

Once the bodies were stripped down and the windows removed they were carefully masked and lightly blown over with Halfords grey primer to seal the edges and give the blue a key to stick to.

DMUs2_230509.jpg.9bd95830b8fc6c410b6db33b231f3688.jpg

An hour or so later the bodies were sprayed with Halfords 'Ford Electric Monza Blue' in several light coats until happy with the colour density.

DMUs3_230509.jpg.41b728b38776ac04337401d83f8b438c.jpg

Having left the paint to go off for a couple of hours the masking was removed, which had worked perfectly, to reveal matching 3 car unit and bubblecar.

These pics were taken last week and since then the roof of all four have been painted with Railmatch roof dirt which makes a big difference, especially to the very light original roof of Dapol's bubble! Also I have removed the headlight and filled the holes on the 117 as they didn't have them when in the earlier blue. Over the weekend they were all matt varnished and I am waiting a few days for this to cure before weathering them and reassembling in time for the Exhibition, and I'll post some more up to date pics later this week.

Good work with the 117 and Bubblecar, recently did my model of 55022, Dapols NSE blue just is too dark, and less said about the roof the better! 

NL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

No pics of the finished DMU yet I’m afraid as things haven’t gone so well this week! 🙄

Over the last week I’ve had the layout out to repaint the outside of it to tidy it up again and partly because I was never 100% happy with the light grey colour. On the home straight in the garden I knocked one of the lamp posts off the platform and the head ‘disappeared’ into the lawn. After mowing and a rake it reappeared thankfully.

Last night I was going to check the running over the points on the extension as there were a few issues at the last show, but I managed to blow the decoder outputs controlling them!

Early this morning as I was fitting a decoder to the extension board this time for the points, a can of varnish toppled off the shelf in the garage landing on the railings on the fuel tank walkway! So today I was ready to burn it!

However this evening I’ve got the points working again with just a bit of reprogramming left to do, and then I can get the Superglue out and start mending things!

if I’m lucky and suffer no more disasters I might get the DMUs weathered and reassembled in time for Saturday.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• Tempfix

Those DMUs do look a lot better that colour. Not that I think Bachmanns darker blue on them is far off (not like their first run of NSE mk2s), but this is better. Looking at mine now and wondering…

Best of luck with the glazing.

Rich

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Rich Papper said:

Those DMUs do look a lot better that colour. Not that I think Bachmanns darker blue on them is far off (not like their first run of NSE mk2s), but this is better. Looking at mine now and wondering…

Rich

Thanks Rich

All the time I’ve had the 117 I’ve been thinking about respraying it lighter blue, as you said the early Mk2s were way off and I did them. In the period I’m modelling they would have been the earlier blue and no headlight so I jumped in!

When you did the destinations in your units how did you do it? I’d like Tidworth one end and Reading the other on them.

• Like 2

• Tempfix

Hi Ian

You may well have twisted my arm there. Of course I could always get a second one and paint that ... (and re-mortgage the cat).

The destination blinds I did were for a variety of older conversions like the Limby 121, 115 and 119 I bashed about and were made from two rectangular LEDs with a tiny styrene box built around them and then a printed blind on the front.

RM_WB67.JPG.5b27c964e7b2b08bb29b07051be57797.JPG

RM_WB69.JPG.50dfd2aeb2de6c8f521286110dfa18c2.JPG

Could use the same sheet to stick over the Bachmann light if you could get their printed one off. I've attached the Word doc I made mine on below if of any help as a starting point - easily editable. I did a variety of sizes and boldnesses (?) to see what came out the printer best and printed on glossy photo paper. Didn't need to be glossy, but my printer seems to be finer on this. I will do mine when I have it apart.

For a top neat job I'd have a look at Will's (@dj_crisp) changing of those on his (and plenty of DMU conversion inspiration) - his post here.

Looking forward to seeing it.

Rich

DMU Destination Blinds.docx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Rich

The windows aren’t to bad to pop out I only found a few places were tricky when I repainted my one 

On 23/05/2023 at 21:45, Temeraire said:

Evening all

Well things have progressed well since my last posting when I had the matches at the ready!

A replacement decoder has been added to the extension board, so hopefully the mistake I made can't happen again, and all the points are working and the route setting sorted including a couple of improvements. The platform lamp is back in place and the fuel point railings have been repaired/patched up.

So this evening I got back on track with the DMU projects and all four vehicles were weathered and my plan is to replace the windows whilst away tomorrow night in a hotel, all being well they will be ready to go on Saturday morning!

117121_230523.jpg.cc08420be2196d9a2a4de93b0d49278c.jpg

Posed in Tidworth yard.

117DMS_230523.jpg.c8b84c9119aab342a719b5e7048c68b9.jpg

One end of the 117.

117DMBS_230523.jpg.ba393cb026ea52ce193f239b7d46fdf9.jpg

Looking back at the other end.

121fuelPoint_230523.jpg.3aca477ab750fd09e8e8c42f2b475c3d.jpg

Finally a view of the 'bubble' on the fuel point.

Despite all the problems this week (self inflicted!) all seems to be well for the show in Brockenhurst this weekend, but overall I'm much happier with the look of the DMUs in the new (old) blue shade.

Looking forward to getting to see them this weekend they look amazing and such a difference to before. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Looking good Ian and that overall shot with the Unit is superb mate.

I’ll take another later with windows and it coupled together. 😉

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

As there doesn’t seem to be an exhibition thread here for this weekends show, I’ll do a shameless plug here!

IMG_5440.jpeg.145f68433d8576fcdcbbedcda1b34345.jpeg

if you visit be sure to say hello.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Temeraire said:

Morning all

As there doesn’t seem to be an exhibition thread here for this weekends show, I’ll do a shameless plug here!

IMG_5440.jpeg.145f68433d8576fcdcbbedcda1b34345.jpeg

if you visit be sure to say hello.

Sorry Ian, I won't be there this year, as our Band The Silvertones have a late night Gig on Saturday @ The Vine Inn, Hambledon, (plug, plug). 🤣. Hope you have a Goodun mate.👍

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Tidworth back in its storage position in the garage and take away curry consumed after an enjoyable weekend in Brockenhurst! Thanks to the New Forest club team for their hospitality and to Chris, Mike and Steve who gave the MoD shunter a hammering all weekend in a shunting world of his own! 😉

I’ll post some pics later this week.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Great to catch up with you and the guys Ian. Glad you had a good time.

The layout looks great and seemed to be running very well when i was watching.

A couple of pics taken on saturday.

20230527_122201.jpg

20230527_124800.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Great to catch up with you and the guys Ian. Glad you had a good time.

The layout looks great and seemed to be running very well when i was watching.

Thanks Pete good to see you again and safe trip home on Wednesday, same time next year eh?? 😉 The layout was on good form in general which was good after my trials earlier in the week!

• Like 2