Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

In 1954 the Arrow was at its peak weight and often in the hands of original Merchant Navy locos 35026, 35027, 35028 and the two Britannias.

They did try out the Bulleid diesel-electric 10202 for a while in 1954. Perhaps that was a failure leading to a substitution. 

Several Hornby 'bests' spring to mind as giving modellers a super basic model on which to detail up a little....

The trusty old LMS Fowler 2-6-4T captures the prototype well. Okay, so I fitted rivetted brass tanks and bunker and lined it all all to match the running plate angle. Gibson bevel rim bogie wheels fitted as per the real 42379 in the early 1950's....

post-6680-0-28469300-1398630872.jpg

The LMS Rebuilt 'Royal Scot' was born with a defect (chimney) but was easily put right once a source of cast chimneys was found. I fitted an old McGwan chimney to this one as well as engraved plates and Gibson Fowler bogie wheels. Only let down by the Tender....

post-6680-0-70433000-1398630874.jpg

The Rebuilt 'Patriot' also gets my vote. This one got a Comet chimney and Gibson Stanier bevel rim bogie wheels. Again let down by the Tender....

post-6680-0-93678700-1398630875.jpg

And yet another fav of mine, the LMS Stanier 2-6-4T.  It captures the lines of these big tanks a treat and is only let down by its Fowler origins (chassis with non-bevel rim wheels). I fitted Gibson bevel rim bogie wheels and renumbered it....

post-6680-0-89450800-1398631320.jpg

An elderly product but still holding its own, it looks like an 8F! I merely fitted Gibson bevel rim bogie wheels....It came factory weathered....

post-6680-0-52738600-1398631535.jpg

The trusty Black Five. I have to admit it looked underwhelming straight out of the red box, but a Brassmasters detailing kit (I only used the cylinder drain cocks, slidebar support, front frames above bogie and deeper bufferbeam) worked wonders plus a little alteration to the lining where it meets the bufferbeam. Renumbered and fitted the usual Gibson Bevel rim bogie wheels....

post-6680-0-87804600-1398631537.jpg

Hornby's Thompson's L1 is a treat except for its pony truck. Correct diameter Markits bogie wheels fitted and loco renumbered....

post-6680-0-63964800-1398632081.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 12

I suppose it is stretching things to breaking point citing the Duke of Gloucester as one of Hornby's best model. What I will say is the company provides us with a very good basic model and the rest is up to the individual railway modeller. It would have benefited from a complete repaint but I was too lazy at the time.  I doubt I could have built a better model from a kit...

post-6680-0-22009100-1398633915_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Several Hornby 'bests' spring to mind as giving modellers a super basic model on which to detail up a little....

The trusty old LMS Fowler 2-6-4T captures the prototype well. Okay, so I fitted rivetted brass tanks and bunker and lined it all all to match the running plate angle. Gibson bevel rim bogie wheels fitted as per the real 42379 in the early 1950's....

attachicon.gifWEB Hornbys best A.jpg

The LMS Rebuilt 'Royal Scot' was born with a defect (chimney) but was easily put right once a source of cast chimneys was found. I fitted an old McGwan chimney to this one as well as engraved plates and Gibson Fowler bogie wheels. Only let down by the Tender....

attachicon.gifWEB Hornbys best B.jpg

The Rebuilt 'Patriot' also gets my vote. This one got a Comet chimney and Gibson Stanier bevel rim bogie wheels. Again let down by the Tender....

attachicon.gifWEB Hornbys best C.jpg

And yet another fav of mine, the LMS Stanier 2-6-4T.  It captures the lines of these big tanks a treat and is only let down by its Fowler origins (chassis with non-bevel rim wheels). I fitted Gibson bevel rim bogie wheels and renumbered it....

attachicon.gifWEB Hornbys best D.jpg

An elderly product but still holding its own, it looks like an 8F! I merely fitted Gibson bevel rim bogie wheels....It came factory weathered....

attachicon.gifWEB Hornbys best E.jpg

The trusty Black Five. I have to admit it looked underwhelming straight out of the red box, but a Brassmasters detailing kit (I only used the cylinder drain cocks, slidebar support, front frames above bogie and deeper bufferbeam) worked wonders plus a little alteration to the lining where it meets the bufferbeam. Renumbered and fitted the usual Gibson Bevel rim bogie wheels....

attachicon.gifWEB Hornbys best F.jpg

Hornby's Thompson's L1 is a treat except for its pony truck. Correct diameter Markits bogie wheels fitted and loco renumbered....

attachicon.gifWEB Hornby's best G.jpg

They've scrub up pretty well there Coach.

One Question though, how far back do the Stanier Tenders date from?

That is one question I cannot answer, though at a guess to the earliest Black Fives (1970's ???)

The tender is an interesting one as that fitted to the current Black Five model is not the same as that on the Railroad Black Five (the previous tender drive model). The current tender looks like its R&D was derived from the earlier tender as the major dimensions and errors seem to match. It's a better tender than that which went before but not by much, and once you see the issue with the tender frames, it can't be unseen. 

post-1656-0-30976300-1398634445.jpg

Easier to see which is the new and which is the old with the locomotives I feel.

post-1656-0-82376600-1398634455.jpg

I apologise for the lack of clarity of these photographs, they were taken in 2008 (can't believe how long ago that was. Neither of these locomotives is in my possession anymore).

• Like 1

Beautiful work Larry but you forgot this...

Purchased via Ebay for £85 with a bent front buffer beam and detached but undamaged sprung buffers, it makes an interesting comparison with what you can buy new from Hornby for £85 these days... a Duke plus change?

The model has been renumbered/renamed by previous owner from 34062 '17 Squadron' to 34003 'Plymouth' in pristine condition, a nice change from the factory-weathered version. It occurs to me that Southern modellers have it quite good. (Details as per supplied pack, plus some generous editing.)

So regarding of these Stanier tenders, the various Bulleid versions meant all of Hornby's resources were occupied in covering the variations!

post-7929-0-62450900-1398803850.jpg

• Like 4

attachicon.gifWEB Hornbys best A.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Hornbys best B.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Hornbys best C.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Hornbys best D.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Hornbys best E.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Hornbys best F.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Hornby's best G.jpg

I'm also a fan of the Royal Scot class.  Other than the name and number, are their many subtle differences between each of the models.  The only things I have ever noticed is a speedo on most models, which doesn't appear on R2628 Black Watch (early crest) and the bell which is unique to the LMS version.

Edited by Mike70

While I greatly admire the Stanier rebuilt Scots and Patriots, (and have some to photograph ...Coachmann's rebuilt Patriot pic was excellent), I have just photographed a new purchase, Merchant Navy 35010 'Blue Star'. Looks great with usual details and editing, mostly stolen off the preceding model 34003.

I have also bought, while prices are still good, unrebuilt '222 Squadron', rebuilt 'Westward Ho', 35026 Lamport and Holt Line, a Bachmann Std Class 5MT 73110, and just today as a break from Southern stuff, a part-weathered rotary bunker BR Garratt....

I had better go and lie down and consider the error of my ways....

post-7929-0-05723600-1398908614.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

Everyone models Merchant Navy locos with red nameplates. When first rebuilt they had black plates. These drew attention to the lovely crests in the centre.

Blue Star's crest shows up particularly well with black plates: the neat red flag with the blue star in the centre.

Red plates drown out the crests. The result is many Bulleid fans (Bulleid experts included) can tell you every last detail of the loco, but ask them to describe the crests, even though they look at them every day, and they haven't a clue!

• Like 1

...I cannot stand Bullied...

WHAT?? ARRGHHH!! BLASPHEMY!!! SPANISH INQUISITION TIME!!!

<---- locates hit squad, directs them to NWALES area...ssshhhhh, not a word to anyone...throws cloak over head/shoulders and skulks out of view

:jester:  :butcher:  :O

• RMweb Gold

WHAT?? ARRGHHH!! BLASPHEMY!!! SPANISH INQUISITION TIME!!!

<---- locates hit squad, directs them to NWALES area...ssshhhhh, not a word to anyone...throws cloak over head/shoulders and skulks out of view

:jester:  :butcher:  :O

Would that be a Malachite Green Cloak, with yellow piping ;)

I was going to say, 'keep it clean!' ... but then I thought that might not be the most appropriate phrase.

Not a bad engine, by all accounts, even if it didn't have chain-driven valve gear and a steam reverser.

It takes all sorts....

• RMweb Gold

I was going to say, 'keep it clean!' ... but then I thought that might not be the most appropriate phrase.

Not a bad engine, by all accounts, even if it didn't have chain-driven valve gear and a steam reverser.

It takes all sorts....

Firdaussi was a pretty camera shy A3 and what photo's I found of her, show her very dirty ;)

Firdaussi was a pretty camera shy A3 and what photo's I found of her, show her very dirty ;)

I have a number of A3s and I must say the Carlisle ones always looked the most sad. I cannot decide whether I like them better in double chimney + deflector style or just double chimney or original, but those who drove and rode on them in the late 50s certainly sing their praises when the valve timing was right and the chassis was good.

I wonder how the Leeds based S&C engines compared with Scots?

Oops. I feel a faint touch of ECML atmosphere creeping in. Better go and photograph a Bath-based Standard 5MT!

Edited by robmcg