Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

Rob, in regards to you Book Law, I raise you a former Sandwich..

attachicon.gif60086_rhfan.jpg

I must say what a beautiful bit of work, and how refreshing to see a straight Hornby A3 after staring at my ever-growing collection of bent ones! 

May I ask how you attach the ashpan lever thing to the underside of the cab-firebox area other than by prayer, since my Book Law models require this to be moved. My instincts say cyano but my long lost teenage years would have had judicious touches of poly.... ?

• RMweb Gold

I must say what a beautiful bit of work, and how refreshing to see a straight Hornby A3 after staring at my ever-growing collection of bent ones!

May I ask how you attach the ashpan lever thing to the underside of the cab-firebox area other than by prayer, since my Book Law models require this to be moved. My instincts say cyano but my long lost teenage years would have had judicious touches of poly.... ?

Cyano in the slots where it goes, if they haven't been gummed up. Edited by Andy Y
Racist comment removed

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The hills are alive with the sound of Bulleids... suitably weathered of course  :jester:  :jester:

2 years after the last weathered Air-Smoothed Bulleid Light Pacific graced my workbench, the drought is over - 34056 Croydon - the first of many to come ;)

post-7000-0-78326300-1457887397_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-56302800-1457887455_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The hills are alive with the sound of Bulleids... suitably weathered of course  :jester:  :jester:

2 years after the last weathered Air-Smoothed Bulleid Light Pacific graced my workbench, the drought is over - 34056 Croydon - the first of many to come ;)

May they long continue!  Nice lighting in those photos.

The tradition of work-stained engines and above all, tidy sheds, was of course exemplified by the LNER...

post-7929-0-37234400-1457927338_thumb.jpg

Note; the RR body in this pic, with edited additions, is straight!   :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

attachicon.gif34056_lhfan.jpg

attachicon.gif34056_rhfan.jpg

Good that you are doing Bullieds, toboldlygo,  it wouldn't do at all if you were to begrime such as this RTR gem....  which I have just bought in a futile attempt to stop buying Gresley engines.

post-7929-0-16797800-1458014485_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg

Did someone mention OVS Bulleid's former boss?

attachicon.gif60023_rhfan.jpg

And one of these ;)

attachicon.gif34001_lhfan.jpg

And just to keep the GWR lot happy  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

attachicon.gif4965_lhfan.jpg

All I can say, as one who appreciates all sorts of locomotives (and even some of todays boxes on wheels can have a purposeful air), that the GWR made some of the prettiest locos ever that did very well for themselves to the extent that an 'umble mixed traffic engine can hold its head up high in the company of such exalted Express Passenger locos.

Its a pity that the Hawksworth Pacific was no more than a pipe dream....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All I can say, as one who appreciates all sorts of locomotives (and even some of todays boxes on wheels can have a purposeful air), that the GWR made some of the prettiest locos ever that did very well for themselves to the extent that an 'umble mixed traffic engine can hold its head up high in the company of such exalted Express Passenger locos.

Its a pity that the Hawksworth Pacific was no more than a pipe dream....

Having seen quite a few of those boxes on wheels on my recent sojourn from Bavaria to South Tyrol in Northern Italy - I have to agree. Golden Eagle will become Silver King, Exeter will turn into Lyme Regis and Rood Ashton Hall - after much reworking will become Plaspower Hall ;)

As with all the loco's I've previewed, they won't stay like that. 

• Like 1

I'm warning you, toboldlygo, I am feeling a touch of GWR madness coming on, having just bought a King Edward VIII  with gloss finish  and with new Colletts lined up, and various other Kings and Castles at hand,   soon it will be 'Gresley A1, what's that?  ....who was he anyway?'

GWR 6029

post-7929-0-55980900-1458089973_thumb.jpg

with all the wisdoms expresed here, maybe I can escape the straight-jacket of Hornby semi-matt finishes...

post-7929-0-48875100-1458090056_thumb.jpg

(actually I only have GWR-era Colletts, but will find a way...)

cheers

• Like 3

There's a good home for those Gresley's on this side of the Tasman Rob. ;)

A very kind offer Ted, but I do have to think of my new B1, LNER and BR A3s., even my forlorn 60103 version of the Flying Scotsman,   as well as one Hattons' last two Silver Link 2509 models which in another light-headed moment I bought last week, all of which I illustrate below to brighten up the place...     we wouldn't want the FS in particular to suffer from lack of coaches, it was bad enough crossing the Nullabor!

An actual straight recent Hornby A3

post-7929-0-67765800-1458169891_thumb.jpg

An actual clean BR steam train,  mend your ways toboldlygo!

post-7929-0-85842300-1458169969_thumb.jpg

A3 starts train without slipping.  rare.

post-7929-0-99904700-1458170021_thumb.jpg

2511 replacing 2509 or even one of those 'super pacifics' on the famous train...

post-7929-0-03739500-1458170195_thumb.jpg

cheers

edit; here for balance and political correctness, and a blow for avid collectors of toy trains, beauty incarnate....

post-7929-0-96444700-1458171188_thumb.jpg

and edit 2; here in the wake having just bought a shiny red pre-war Princess Coronation 'Duchess of Hamilton', is Hornby's venerable class leader 6220 'Coronation' looking as purposeful as ever with or without gloss finish...   reverse gear too, all done by photo-trickery of course.

post-7929-0-39394000-1458177592_thumb.jpg 

:)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 11

Rob - you do know that all Stanier was doing was to try and recreate the GWR on the LMS in terms of loco shape?

(After all, a Black 5 is only a two cylinder Castle with a raised running plate)

Edging out quickly.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Something slightly more mundane and down-trodden, yes it's another heavy tank and this one only needed a minor tweak to the running plate.

attachicon.gif7248_rhfan.jpg

Be forewarned the Bulleids are coming... 

7216 was an 86J engine.Even known to work freight as far as Salisbury.I stood on the Gadlys bridge every morning before school started watching the procession of 28XX 42,52,72XX etc.

Something slightly more mundane and down-trodden, yes it's another heavy tank and this one only needed a minor tweak to the running plate.

attachicon.gif7248_rhfan.jpg

Be forewarned the Bulleids are coming... 

I will lock up my daughters forthwith.

The 72XX pic is so close to my old (four years?) pic of 7229 I show the latter for comparison, in my case the only tweak was re-fitting the stay bars at the front and minor editing, it's otherwise a TMC weathering job.  (I painted around those handrails...)

I think TMC chose a pre-scrapping out-of-use engine as a model, not a working one.

post-7929-0-13774500-1458246022_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Ian, probably would have had flat-bottom rail too, by 1961.   Actually I am in the process of photographing 6011 in pre-war GW livery with new bow-end Colletts,   I have choc-cream Mk1s which should have been used for the late-BR pic, but was lazy.  I know how it 'jars' to see impossible combinations. Sorry.

Er.....wrong era.Nice image though.That King would be hauling chocolate and cream BR Mark One or maroon stock....sadly not Hawksworths in GWR livery....maroon would be ok.

Here you go Ian, it does look better now....  much more Swindon!   :)  don't check those steam pipes!  

edit; goordon bennett forgot to change the double chimney so changed steam pipes too..

post-7929-0-47419900-1458444567_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

Gosh! 32 pages gone yet I've never happened upon this Horby Best Ever Models thread before.

Has anyone made the point that these magnificent action pictures of great engines in sharp perspective bursting their blood vessels are exactly like the pictures on the box lids of the train sets Frank Hornby made his name with from Binns Road, Edge Lane Liverpool.

My  tinplate clockwork LNER 0-4-0T never made it through to Boxing Day 194*  because 'Auntie' Jo, a heavy Land Army girl (a bit the worse for liquid jollity), trod heavily on it just as I was off to bed.

But the box lid lived on long afterwards - a gleaming A3 heading varnished teak out of the Cross down into Gasworks tunnel.

I subsequently got given spledidly sturdy (though rather battered) 3 rail LMS maroon Compound 1165  to pull the 3 trucks left from the trainset.  By then my ambition lay with Hornby Dublo - 'the table top railway' - which we lads pronounced Hornby Dube-Low.

dh

• Like 3

... the box lid lived on long afterwards - a gleaming A3 heading varnished teak out of the Cross down into Gasworks tunnel.

I subsequently got given spledidly sturdy (though rather battered) 3 rail LMS maroon Compound 1165  to pull the 3 trucks left from the trainset.  By then my ambition lay with Hornby Dublo - 'the table top railway' - which we lads pronounced Hornby Dube-Low.

dh

You are very kind.

The artwork is inspired by all kinds of things, not least that we had 3-rail Hornby Dublo when I grew up, and track on the carpet.  Marvellous, especially combined with the Observer's Book of Railway Locomotives of Britain, so I could dream of buying a Kitmaster Bulleid or somesuch with my seriously inadequate pocket-money.

Influences are Terence Cuneo, of course, but also David Shepherd and the best photographers of those days, C T Gifford, Eric Treacy, W J V Anderson, G F Heiron and many others,  someone used to do enhanced photos on Model Railway News colour covers c1965 but my memory isn't too good.

Cheers

edit p.s. that A3 starting out of King's Cross sounds like a good idea for a pic.  Must check which engine was used on that astonishing run where all the records were broken, was it Sparshatt and a 180lb A1?  They said the check-rails on the pointwork out of the station had wear in places there was not supposed to be wear!

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lock up your daughters Rob, the Bulleids are here..  :jester:  :jester:

post-7000-0-61027400-1458565169_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-71835400-1458565350_thumb.jpg

Formerly Okehampton now Axminster under all that grime..

post-7000-0-56267700-1458565327_thumb.jpg

Formerly an Exeter now Lyme Regis awaiting it's turn in the spray booth.

And after a few hours on the workbench and a few upgrades later (coupling rods, sprung buffers - engine only & AWS Battery Box) - just the etched plates to add.

Duke of Gloucester breaks cover..

post-7000-0-85348900-1458565478_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Marvellous grime on Axminster, toboldlygo. Those last few years of Southern BR steam are big in the memories of many people, including mine. I dreamed of watching MNs WCs and BoBs racing through Fleet or Farnborough.... but was stuck in school in NZ where we kept heavy steam until 1970, by which time I discovered cars, mororbikes and other diversions.

Time you cleaned up your act however, like this LMS 6170 crimson taper-boiler Scot 'British Legion'... adapted from a restored version 6100. Shameless, I know.   :)

post-7929-0-37833500-1458607546_thumb.jpg

The various ways the LMS applied balance weights to driving wheels would keep a room full of post-grad students busy for years! 

Edited by robmcg