Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Marvellous grime on Axminster, toboldlygo. Those last few years of Southern BR steam are big in the memories of many people, including mine. I dreamed of watching MNs WCs and BoBs racing through Fleet or Farnborough.... but was stuck in school in NZ where we kept heavy steam until 1970, by which time I discovered cars, mororbikes and other diversions.

Time you cleaned up your act however, like this LMS 6170 crimson taper-boiler Scot 'British Legion'... adapted from a restored version 6100. Shameless, I know.   :)

attachicon.gif6170_portrait4_LMS_5_early_condition_4abcdef_r1200.jpg

The various ways the LMS applied balance weights to driving wheels would keep a room full of post-grad students busy for years! 

Sorry,Rob....me again.6170,a rebuild from the 'high pressure'experimental 'Fury' was rebuilt by Stanier .This included a new cab and not the original as built by Fowler but as his standard design fitted to the rebuilt Patriot...i.e.two side windows each side. 'British Legion' was slightly more powerful than her sisters and was 'worth an extra coach' in the opinion of LM crew.Sorry to be pernickety again. Another nice image,though.

Sorry,Rob....me again.6170,a rebuild from the 'high pressure'experimental 'Fury' was rebuilt by Stanier .This included a new cab and not the original as built by Fowler but as his standard design fitted to the rebuilt Patriot...i.e.two side windows each side. 'British Legion' was slightly more powerful than her sisters and was 'worth an extra coach' in the opinion of LM crew.Sorry to be pernickety again. Another nice image,though.

B....r.   I guess I could fix this but my heart has now gone out of it.  I knew it was a rebuild of Fury but forgot the cab.

I have been trying to re-fit the screw retaining the front bogie on the shiny new Duchess of Hamilton without success..  I guess I need a magnetic screwdriver and a steadier hand.  My usual petroleum jelly on head of screw has failed, again and again, I lost one screw into the body, failed again and again to get the spare and only remaining screw to go into the hole, the bogie being taped and held and wedged in the correct position, arm lined up, but the hole so hard to see and get at.  Don't see any advantage in taking the body off, this involves drawbar and satan's plug and may not make the bogie fitting any easier. I just cannot get the screw head stuck to the screwdriver.   Maybe I should have used the super strength araldite to do that, and let it go half-off  and guide the screw into its hole, then remove the screwdriver but my hands are shaking, and I only have one working hand anyway and I used to be severely right-handed and good at intricate stuff once but not now... NEVER AGAIN 

So angry an frustrated am I that I have lined up the bogie-pivot-to-chassis holes and drowned them in super strength aralidite.

I'll stick to picture-making.  And it seems I get that wrong too.  

Seriously      ......  I think will sell all my models.   I used to, on good days, think intricate stuff was a challenge, but now I am going to be realistic and not bother, it is altogether so stressful. 

And I got the smokebox, steam pipes, top feed, dome, Jubilee-style bits, and other non-Royal Scot bits more-or-less right, including the longer smokebox, repositioned smokebox 'thing' below/behind the door catch, and used a good 1935 photo for a guide,  but I forgot the cab window....

It really is too much.  Thanks for the anecdotal point about 6170's power, was that compared to parallel-boiler or later rebuilds?

• RMweb Gold

And I got the smokebox, steam pipes, top feed, dome, Jubilee-style bits, and other non-Royal Scot bits more-or-less right, including the longer smokebox, repositioned smokebox 'thing' below/behind the door catch, and used a good 1935 photo for a guide,  but I forgot the cab window....

It really is too much.  Thanks for the anecdotal point about 6170's power, was that compared to parallel-boiler or later rebuilds?

The rebuild as 46170. 6999 Fury was no conventional engine.

• RMweb Gold

B....r.   I guess I could fix this but my heart has now gone out of it.  I knew it was a rebuild of Fury but forgot the cab.

I have been trying to re-fit the screw retaining the front bogie on the shiny new Duchess of Hamilton without success..  I guess I need a magnetic screwdriver and a steadier hand.  My usual petroleum jelly on head of screw has failed, again and again, I lost one screw into the body, failed again and again to get the spare and only remaining screw to go into the hole, the bogie being taped and held and wedged in the correct position, arm lined up, but the hole so hard to see and get at.  Don't see any advantage in taking the body off, this involves drawbar and satan's plug and may not make the bogie fitting any easier. I just cannot get the screw head stuck to the screwdriver.   Maybe I should have used the super strength araldite to do that, and let it go half-off  and guide the screw into its hole, then remove the screwdriver but my hands are shaking, and I only have one working hand anyway and I used to be severely right-handed and good at intricate stuff once but not now... NEVER AGAIN 

So angry an frustrated am I that I have lined up the bogie-pivot-to-chassis holes and drowned them in super strength aralidite.

I'll stick to picture-making.  And it seems I get that wrong too.  

Seriously      ......  I think will sell all my models.   I used to, on good days, think intricate stuff was a challenge, but now I am going to be realistic and not bother, it is altogether so stressful. 

No help I know but I don't think the screw holding the bogie works with a magnetic screwdriver  anyway - I've had exactly the same problem refitting the bogie of 46243 having changed the wheels to Alan Gibson (makes a vast improvement!). Keep up with the pictures whatever- I love them!

Rob - I use a range of escalating solutions for getting tiny screws to stick to a screwdriver for use in tight spots, especially when the Love of Iron isn't available/doesn't work.  In order of severity:

• Blutac (stuff used for putting posters on walls)
  • Uhu (rubber based contact adhesive)
  • Loctite (cyano-acrylate thread locker)

If the last option is selected, coat the threads of the screw with some sort of grease, otherwise the screw will be a ###### to remove at a later date....

Hmmmm....  I see that the AutoNanny (tm, probably) didn't like b&*%!r

Edited by Hroth

Rob - I use a range of escalating solutions for getting tiny screws to stick to a screwdriver for use in tight spots, especially when the Love of Iron isn't available/doesn't work.  In order of severity:

• Blutac (stuff used for putting posters on walls)
  • Uhu (rubber based contact adhesive)
  • Loctite (cyano-acrylate thread locker)

If the last option is selected, coat the threads of the screw with some sort of grease, otherwise the screw will be a ###### to remove at a later date....

Hmmmm....  I see that the AutoNanny (tm, probably) didn't like b&*%!r

I just glued the arm to the chassis.  Now, after the super strength araldite has gone off  I realise it is/was a pivoting arm.....

...probably still go round 3' radius....    (sigh)    Looks good though.

The REALLY strange thing is that I have changed bogies on three other streamlined Duchesses without trouble, the front bogie pivot mounting screw might be more accessible on the early chassis with pivoting rear truck. yes just checked, the older model it's accessible and twice the size, I am not going mad after all..  except that stupidly inexcusably I have just somewhat damaged the new model's ability to negotiate curves.  It would need drilling and a pin pivot now...

Edited by robmcg

I did however get the numbers on the side of the cab at the correct height.

In the meantime something from the Blue corner..

I still feel that for operational models, Bachmann really 'hit the spot' with their WD. Just two significant details missing, the tool rack which you have neatly added (I imagine Bach left this off due to the finger lacerating potential) and no fallplate. Solidly constructed, nothing falls off; and an excellent mechanism with two sprung driven axles which just runs and runs. The best of their subsequent steam releases have matched this model, but never bettered it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I still feel that for operational models, Bachmann really 'hit the spot' with their WD. Just two significant details missing, the tool rack which you have neatly added (I imagine Bach left this off due to the finger lacerating potential) and no fallplate. Solidly constructed, nothing falls off; and an excellent mechanism with two sprung driven axles which just runs and runs. The best of their subsequent steam releases have matched this model, but never bettered it.

Fortunately 247 Developments do the tool rack and I happened to read something about on one of the many threads on here. Bachmann basically took the no frills approach of the real thing and replicated it in OO gauge.

• Informative/Useful 1

Not quite sure what happened here - it's far too clean to be one of mine... or is it?   :jester:  :jester:

attachicon.gif34009_rhfan.jpg

Must have sneaked through the automatic carriage washer whilst the shed foreman's back was turned.

There'll be hell to pay - those rotating brush thingies cost a packet to replace!

I think you've hit the spot with the weathering on 34009.

I just splashed out on a lightly weathered detailed King of the old Hornby version, sacrilege!   Also an ex-works early BR shiny black lined Duchess, but in both cases I simply liked the models.  No doubt photos will appear someday.

Cheers

Oddly Ian when I depicted 6170 a couple of months ago I remembered the cab...  didn't get the steam pipe, nor the buffer beam quite right, we'll call it an interim unrecorded version.   

post-7929-0-14901600-1458878122_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Not quite sure what happened here - it's far too clean to be one of mine... or is it?   :jester:  :jester:

attachicon.gif34009_rhfan.jpg

I see TMC has this model for sale toboldlygo,  only UKP233 to you guv'nor.   :)

Can't say fairer than that. Reduced from UKP249.   They're giving it away.

http://www.themodelcentre.com/34009TMC/

Edited by robmcg

Shame they didn't remove the AWS box...

In the meantime, my heavily weathered DoG breaks cover.

attachicon.gif71000_rhfan.jpg

Followers of the Duke these days would quite possibly be quite bemused by the condition it was in during the late 50s early 60s.  Or am I showing my age?  :)

I owe Hornby an apology. I have lambasted them for packing their models for mail to NZ with large cartons full of toxic-waste polystyrene pellets, but the pellets are in fact derived from corn and are completely soluble,   top marks to Hornby for packaging!  Things arrive undamaged too.  It takes a while to slosh the pellets around in a tub but they dissolve readily,and down the drain they go.

Sorry Hornby.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I owe Hornby an apology. I have lambasted them for packing their models for mail to NZ with large cartons full of toxic-waste polystyrene pellets, but the pellets are in fact derived from corn and are completely soluble,   top marks to Hornby for packaging!  Things arrive undamaged too.  It takes a while to slosh the pellets around in a tub but they dissolve readily,and down the drain they go.

Sorry Hornby.

Corn pellet soup ? Ingenious ! We'll all be pecking and scratching like a group of old hens.Oh,wait a minute though,nothing new in that.......Black 5 or blacktail chickens ? Todays'menu.

• Like 1

Shame they didn't remove the AWS box...

In the meantime, my heavily weathered DoG breaks cover.

attachicon.gif71000_rhfan.jpg

Ewwww....

Only a couple more trips to Holyhead then its off to Woodhams.

(If you could find a "spares or repair" example, you could take off the valvegear, connecting rods and outside cylinders and weather it to "Barry, 1970" condition...)

• RMweb Gold

Ewwww....

Only a couple more trips to Holyhead then its off to Woodhams.

(If you could find a "spares or repair" example, you could take off the valvegear, connecting rods and outside cylinders and weather it to "Barry, 1970" condition...)

I refer you to Robs post :)

Followers of the Duke these days would quite possibly be quite bemused by the condition it was in during the late 50s early 60s.  Or am I showing my age?   :)

In between assembling and running this in..

post-7000-0-69570100-1459502905_thumb.jpg

I managed to start work on improving a Hall..

post-7000-0-19108400-1459503080_thumb.jpg

• Like 1