Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks toboldlygo, I have never found Photoshop easy, there is something altogether too crowded and dare I say it American in their page designs, menus and tools.

We NZers can afford to criticise Americans because we owe them hugely for WW2, while our men were in Britain (a lot in the RAF) or Egypt, the U.S. in the six months after Pearl turned NZ into a war base, the buildings are still all around here where I live now in Kapiti. There were riots in the streets in 1942 when American soldiers on leave 'stole' our women! :)

But I digress (unusual for this thread eh wot?)   I acknowledge that everyone has foibles and preferences with computer screen menus and so on I have always found Paint Shop Pro to be nearer common logic than any other picture editing program,  and I am a fan of common logic.  The early versions up to 6.2 are better for me, even though they are now ancient (c2000 A D) the later versions have become messier and more complex and bury the common tools under layers of hype and gimmickry.

The way of modern computer programs I'm afraid is towards effects and one-button instant answers.   I must sound now like old people did in the 1950s when I grew up!

Paintshop Pro - it's witchcraft I tell you.. in the UK you'd get thrown in a pond if you floated, you'd get dried burning on the stake.. as a former colony I think NZ do the same. The States would put you between two heavy rocks and squish you ;)

Paintshop Pro - it's witchcraft I tell you.. in the UK you'd get thrown in a pond if you floated, you'd get dried burning on the stake.. as a former colony I think NZ do the same. The States would put you between two heavy rocks and squish you ;)

Remember Passchendaele, that's all I can say.   I might have to sell my Hornby Britannia 'Earl Haig' after what we did at the 3rd Battle of Ypres.

It does have a rather ghostly feel to it...

post-7929-0-58627400-1524689142_thumb.jpg

not one of my better achievements, but what can you do eh?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Remember Passchendaele, that's all I can say.   I might have to sell my Hornby Britannia 'Earl Haig' after what we did at the 3rd Battle of Ypres.

It does have a rather ghostly feel to it...

attachicon.gif70044_Britannia_Earl_Haig_portrait_reversing_2a1_crop3_r1200.jpg

not one of my better achievements, but what can you do eh?

The list would be a cure for insomnia, it does include a certain entire class of 110 loco's (a number of which have been done more than once) and mostly done with a proper airbrush - not a digital one ;)

The list would be a cure for insomnia, it does include a certain entire class of 110 loco's (a number of which have been done more than once) and mostly done with a proper airbrush - not a digital one ;)

Wash your mouth out!    Proper airbrush?    It'll stop the hens laying.

The new MiM naughty chair - make yourself comfortable..

attachicon.gifelectric-chair-1024x1024.jpg

Do you prefer DC, DCC or AC?

:D :D

nothing over 12v please.  I dabbled in Marklin AC when I was about 14 yrs old and still have the scars.

actually that chair looks very much like it is designed to listen to certain types of music in....  (insert choice)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

nothing over 12v please.  I dabbled in Marklin AC when I was about 14 yrs old and still have the scars.

actually that chair looks very much like it is designed to listen to certain types of music in....  (insert choice)

Maerklin pre-war was truly dangerous with 110 volts AC between the rails. It's a wonder that Hermann Goering with his huge train set never electrocuted himself!

I can see a box there for an SDJR 4-4-0... that’s a little off piste for you isn’t it ?

Not at all. 

:)

post-7929-0-05439800-1524781953_thumb.jpg

or if you prefer...

the BR Hornby tour-de-force...

post-7929-0-47675100-1524782042_thumb.jpg

I actually used Microsoft's 'Paint' program for part of this, it actually isn't entirely bad. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Time for a troublesome Tank and not from the Red corner either...

post-7000-0-11672600-1524949035_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-88568900-1524949045_thumb.jpg

..an absolute crap*/non runner straight from the box, why you ask?

More crap on the back faces of the driving wheels than you'd find in the average silage pit - this was a new loco with in the box and still sealed in the original wrapping paper!

*that's me being polite - at least the smoking 38xx ran!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob, you might as well rename this thread to "Any Model Of Anyone's" doesn't even have to be the best now either. ;)

I would politely suggest that you scroll back through this thread to the very beginning and actually a see how many non - Hornby loco's I actually post in this thread, before you dig yourself a VERY big hole  :triniti:  :triniti:  :triniti:

I would politely suggest that you scroll back through this thread to the very beginning and actually a see how many non - Hornby loco's I actually post in this thread, before you dig yourself a VERY big hole  :triniti:  :triniti:  :triniti:

What hole am I digging myself into?

What started as a joke post (note the wink) seems to have been taken seriously by you. So I did go back and have a look. Virtually no mention of an other makes than Hornby for the first 20 or so pages. Rob even posted this

Well, I can't put a pic of an 00 Standard 5MT 4-6-0 here, alas, it being of the dreaded Blue Box genre, so I will put it in the Bachmann price-increase thread.

At the end of the day the thread has gone way off topic many times now, so much so that I've stopped following it, as you can almost guarantee that it's not going to be about a Hornby product. :)

• RMweb Gold

What hole am I digging myself into?

What started as a joke post (note the wink) seems to have been taken seriously by you. So I did go back and have a look. Virtually no mention of an other makes than Hornby for the first 20 or so pages. Rob even posted this

At the end of the day the thread has gone way off topic many times now, so much so that I've stopped following it, as you can almost guarantee that it's not going to be about a Hornby product. :)

You're taking my post too seriously, just like the thread - which never has (this has been said time and again).

If you saw my to do pile it's a very large pile of Hornby locos, with one Heljan dieseasel thrown in - however work for the Lads of ANTB means I'm not getting to them yet :P

Edited by toboldlygo

Indeed this thread can accommodate all, but occasionally makes a reference to Hornby's best models, which of course is entirely subjective, I mean who would have thought a detailed tender-drive Fowler 2P would qualify?

post-7929-0-25871000-1525038087_thumb.jpg

Bullet-proof mechanicals with 30+ year working lifespan, plenty of room for detailing, renaming and renumbering, and weathering,  yes, clearly 'best ever',  and Somerset and Dorset Railway to boot.

A definite contender, certainly. None of this modern fragility and odd wiring and can motor nonsense. Who mentioned modern Hornby S15s...?

pic edited

p.s. we need aircraft for relief sometimes, to say this thread is rarely abut Hornby possibly, mildly, valid but who cares, I am inspired right now by the exploits of D11s on the ex-GCR London-Sheffield line in the 30s with 90mph downhill speeds, and models for these exploits only come in blue boxes  :) 

• Like 4

Well, we could nominate the Princess as best ever, and be done with it. :)

46204_princess_portrait50_BR_1abc_r1200.jpg

cheers

With respect and a saucy wink Rob, balls! It looks nothing like a Class 60 and the reproduction of Mainline blue is frankly shocking. It's depiction of a STD7MT is closer but still wide of the mark.

What I'm getting at here chaps is actually the fact "best" is entirely subjective.

I got on my high horse on the Preserved Diesels forum back in the day, getting totally fed up with the inane best this that or the other threads. The conclusion I came to then was every thread title containing that word should be changed to "your favourite", because inevitably, that's all it ends up as.

We can surmise therefore that, according to Rob, all of Hornby's models are their "best", but the Princess is the bestest!

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

Thankyou for that erudite summation of the situation. 

I will keep 'best' in the title because it covers what anyone might think is best, or not quite best, or whatever they feel like on the day, even if it is a discussion of what is certainly not even remotely best.  :)   

Time for a troublesome Tank and not from the Red corner either...

attachicon.gif50705_lhfan.jpg

attachicon.gif50705_rh.jpg

..an absolute crap*/non runner straight from the box, why you ask?

More crap on the back faces of the driving wheels than you'd find in the average silage pit - this was a new loco with in the box and still sealed in the original wrapping paper!

*that's me being polite - at least the smoking 38xx ran!

I assume you have solved your problem. Just in case you didn’t see any of the discussion when they first appeared, they were designed to have pickup from the leading wheels on one side and the trailing wheels on the other. The design was most ingenious, including having the pickups bearing onto the axles. Unfortunately, the pickups didn’t make contact with the axles, leaving pick up on the driving wheels only. Taking the radial trucks apart and bending the pickups had a magical effect, assuming that you were able to get them put back together without losing the springs!

• RMweb Gold

I assume you have solved your problem. Just in case you didn’t see any of the discussion when they first appeared, they were designed to have pickup from the leading wheels on one side and the trailing wheels on the other. The design was most ingenious, including having the pickups bearing onto the axles. Unfortunately, the pickups didn’t make contact with the axles, leaving pick up on the driving wheels only. Taking the radial trucks apart and bending the pickups had a magical effect, assuming that you were able to get them put back together without losing the springs!

I'd totally forgotten about that lol

The first one I did ran like a charm straight from the box, this one didn't unfortunately. Loco's minus bits are easy to fix for me, erratic runners drive me nuts.

• RMweb Gold

p.s. we need aircraft for relief sometimes, to say this thread is rarely abut Hornby possibly, mildly, valid but who cares, I am inspired right now by the exploits of D11s on the ex-GCR London-Sheffield line in the 30s with 90mph downhill speeds, and models for these exploits only come in blue boxes  :)

Speaking of aircraft an epic 1/48th build is getting closer to completion and another blog entry is on the cards later today..

post-7000-0-20013700-1525370882_thumb.jpg

200 odd parts done, quite a few to go..

• Like 2

My uncle had a 1953 Velox from new until 1968...   and it went around the clock, never missed a beat.

none of this 4-cylinder Wyvern nonsense.

here however is something completely different.

post-7929-0-66461100-1525412989_thumb.jpg

hardly edited at all really. :)

• Like 5