Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

9 GWR loco's? - there's a quite few more waiting in the wings...

...speaking of wings - the Shack Strikes Back (this time it's Dougal)  :jester:  :jester:

post-7000-0-36681100-1530035604_thumb.jpg

Oh and there's more to come from the Avro stable - two more Lancaster's, the B.II (that's the one with the Radial engines) and of course one from a certain 617 Squadron (B.III Special):

post-7000-0-11831300-1530035856_thumb.jpg

And just to keep the GWR theme going...

... an old favourite of mine (okay she's a Southern Loco, but a GWR Class)

post-7000-0-74238500-1530036016_thumb.jpg

(There's one of these in my commissions pile ;)  )

• Like 4

Eck!  A Pannier tank,       From bad to worse!  

there's one in the background of this...   talk about Triffids!

post-7929-0-91696300-1530068226_thumb.jpg

But help is at hand. Hornby have a new Lord Nelson class  arriving soon, 

but when will they produce these variants with weathering and readily available detail bits?? 

post-7929-0-65178900-1530068338_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-94999100-1530068391.jpg

At least it's not Swindon....  long live the original Royal Scot class!     

ah, no,    wait....    :)

you can have your cake and eat it too.

post-7929-0-58929200-1530068942_thumb.jpg

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif34006_Bulleid_WC_Bude_3ab_full_r1200.jpg

but when will they produce these variants with weathering and readily available detail bits?? 

attachicon.gif836_LN_SR_31-401_portrait1_1abcdef_r879.jpg

attachicon.gif30862_LN_BR_31-408_portrait1_1abcdefg_r796.jpg

attachicon.gif8035_8F_R3565_portrait4_4a_r1200.jpg

cheers

Next thing you know, you'll be buying up all the 8F's on a certain auction site  :jester:  :jester:

In the meantime, I have another blog entry up and the Shack is well a truly back...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/135/entry-21024-shack-attack-tnbb-part-4-return-of-the-shack-chapter-i/

Next thing you know, you'll be buying up all the 8F's on a certain auction site  :jester:  :jester:

No!  2 8Fs is more than enough.  Besides, the Heljan 47XX in BR green might be irresistible.

I bought those two Lord Nelsons though at £60 and £72, I'm all DC analogue and don't even mind split chassis when it behaves, and so far haven't seen any pics of the new Hornby LNs which make me think they are a major step above a detailed Bachmann version.

Probably the Hornby version will have finer detailing, cab etc, more fragile, I'm expecting something as good or better than the lovely Hornby N15s., but they are a hard act to follow.  In fact the N15s being mostly made by Sanda Kan in 2007-8 it will be a surprise if the new LNs are even as good. I certainly hope so.   

Edited by robmcg

Its a little known factoid, but BR(S) found that by including a Panner in the train, the degree of slippage on starting was considerably reduced. Ostensibly the pannier brought in the empty stock but was there to provide a shove from the rear, making the MN/WC/BoB up front think it was only on a one coach train at Padstow...  This saved considerable damage to track and locomotive tyres.

Sometimes there had to be a degree of training, hence the pic of the pannier hiding behind Bude.

Honest guv!  :jester:

• Like 3

I realise the picture of Portsmouth & Southsea is about presenting the area in it's best possible light...........but dear me!

My memories of Portsmouth at least, were of rocks as big as cobblestones, and what a relentless difficulty one had of finding anywhere comfortable to sit!

I'll admit l was 5 at the time, but he memory still stays with me!

• Like 1

I realise the picture of Portsmouth & Southsea is about presenting the area in it's best possible light...........but dear me!

My memories of Portsmouth at least, were of rocks as big as cobblestones, and what a relentless difficulty one had of finding anywhere comfortable to sit!

For me, Portsmouth and Southsea is best remembered as the last stop before Portsmouth Harbour Station, which meant I’d soon be happily on board the ferry to the blessed Isle of Wight for another magical holiday adventure......

• Like 3

SR Days of Hope and Glory...

attachicon.gif836_LN_SR_shed2_2abcdef_crop1_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gif902_Schools_shed_2abcd_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gif0-0-a-nmsi-southsea.jpg

Question; which is the Bachmann, which is the Hornby..... :)

Hi Rob,

Can I take it your comparison of the the old versus the new is rather tongue in cheek???

From the painted samples, which granted are not absolutely perfect, I would say the Hornby version is at another level.

I had two of the old Bachmann L/N's(Last Editions) which I sold because they ran poorly.

I've got Lord Nelson and Lord Rodney on pre-order.

A gap in the market which is shortly to be filled !

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif836_LN_SR_31-401_portrait1_1abcdef_r879.jpg

attachicon.gif30862_LN_BR_31-408_portrait1_1abcdefg_r796.jpg

attachicon.gif8035_8F_R3565_portrait4_4a_r1200.jpg

cheers

The Western gets everywhere.... That's a Western coaling stage.... BWAHAHAHA!

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

Can I take it your comparison of the the old versus the new is rather tongue in cheek???

From the painted samples, which granted are not absolutely perfect, I would say the Hornby version is at another level.

I had two of the old Bachmann L/N's(Last Editions) which I sold because they ran poorly.

Go to Spec-savers first, the bottom loco is a Schools  :jester:  :jester:

Perhaps I should have been clearer in my post.

I wasn't comparing Rob's splendid piccies - L/N v Schools class.

The post I was referring to was 2279 of yesterday, where he muses as to whether the latest Hornby release will be better than the Bachmann model.

I think most people on here already know the answer to that question, we've been fortunate to have had the EP and painted samples on the Hornby Engine Shed blog.

Sorry to confuse you.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps I should have been clearer in my post.

I wasn't comparing Rob's splendid piccies - L/N v Schools class.

The post I was referring to was 2279 of yesterday, where he muses as to whether the latest Hornby release will be better than the Bachmann model.

I think most people on here already know the answer to that question, we've been fortunate to have had the EP and painted samples on the Hornby Engine Shed blog.

Sorry to confuse you.

Not confused, Rob's having senior moments ;)

The Western gets everywhere.... That's a Western coaling stage.... BWAHAHAHA!

Ian.

Very true. I don't know how Bude came to be there, probably some kind of trickery.

On the subject of West Country class engines, is the Hornby 34043 'Combe Martin' a rare model?

• RMweb Gold

Very true. I don't know how Bude came to be there, probably some kind of trickery.

On the subject of West Country class engines, is the Hornby 34043 'Combe Martin' a rare model?

You'd get any of the Bullieds on  places like Oxford, Tysley, etc. No shame there.

Is Coombe Martin rare? I honestly don't know.

Cheers,

Ian.

Hi Rob,

I agree the new Hornby models will certainly be at a different level, but I have had quite a few split chassis Bachmann engines new and second hand and some are very sweet runners, about half, so I have a soft spot for them.

Certainly in terms of running gear, motors, drive, DCC, finer detail, they will be better, but the 'old' LN by Bachmann was a very fine model in its day, especially when aided by Hornby detail bits!  Biggest drawback on the Bachmann for me is rather crude but robust motion and valve gear. Oh, and the shiny wheel rims on some versions.

post-7929-0-62054600-1530220814_thumb.jpg

a bit of photo-sympathy...    :)

One thing I do like about LNs is the way BR used them on all kinds of menial tasks, shunting, goods trains, empty stock, stoppers, you name it, right up till 1962, the 'Irwell Book of Lord Nelson 4-6-0s' has some great pics, such as 30862 running tender-first with a local freight c1960.

In addition these were GREAT engines once sorted with breathing and tenders and so on, highly regarded by Bert Hooker amongst others, and needed a bit of skill from the crew, but brilliant underrated engines indeed.

Suddenly I want a Hornby one too.

Here is an older pic of a Bachmann one on an Eastleigh 'stopper' c1961...

post-7929-0-24458500-1530221609_thumb.jpg

pics edited

typo edit

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

The picture of Southsea may indeed be a little more about promise than delivery.

How else could you get those canny Midlanders to visit Bournemouth in their thousands by the S & D?  :) 

The picture of Southsea may indeed be a little more about promise than delivery.

How else could you get those canny Midlanders to visit Bournemouth in their thousands by the S & D?  :)

The poster is a delightful example of advertising spin in the pre-digital age! The nubile maiden, sandy beach, overly blue sky and sea and the emphasis on the word “Southsea” are clearly meant to conjure up images of some tropical Polynesian paradise rather than the gritty reality of Portsmouth’s windswept stoney beaches, methinks......

• Like 1

I agree the new Hornby models will certainly be at a different level, but I have had quite a few split chassis Bachmann engines new and second hand and some are very sweet runners, about half, so I have a soft spot for them.

Certainly in terms of running gear, motors, drive, DCC, finer detail, they will be better, but the 'old' LN by Bachmann was a very fine model in its day, especially when aided by Hornby detail bits!  Biggest drawback on the Bachmann for me is rather crude but robust motion and valve gear. Oh, and the shiny wheel rims on some versions.

attachicon.gif30862_LN_BR_shed1_2a_r1200.jpg

a bit of photo-sympathy...    :)

One thing I do like about LNs is the way BR used them on all kinds of menial tasks, shunting, goods trains, empty stock, stoppers, you name it, right up till 1962, the 'Irwell Book of Lord Nelson 4-6-0s' has some great pics, such as 30862 running tender-first with a local freight c1960.

In addition these were GREAT engines once sorted with breathing and tenders and so on, highly regarded by Bert Hooker amongst others, and needed a bit of skill from the crew, but brilliant underrated engines indeed.

Suddenly I want a Hornby one too.

Here is an older pic of a Bachmann one on an Eastleigh 'stopper' c1961...

attachicon.gif30860_Nelson_Country_1961_4ab_r1200.jpg

pics edited

typo edit

When Nellie was restored to running order, the first run was spoilt by scale in an injector but the second went brilliantly. The crew knew of its pre-modification reputation but were very impressed by its performance and were full of enthusiasm for it.

• Like 2

When Nellie was restored to running order, the first run was spoilt by scale in an injector but the second went brilliantly. The crew knew of its pre-modification reputation but were very impressed by its performance and were full of enthusiasm for it.

Indeed I look forward to the Hornby Lord Nelson release.  (never heard one called 'Nellie' before, but what can you do?  :)  )

On the subject of imminent releases is not a Britannia 70013 'Oliver Cromwell' on the cards for the 50th anniversary of the 15 Guinea Special?

I mention this because another Clan turned up on a local auction site and I had to buy it, (UK readers weep...  I will not say how few pennies changed hands)   NZ buyers mostly seem unaware of their rarity.

post-7929-0-63925700-1530311094.jpg

post-7929-0-98139900-1530311117_thumb.jpg

Pristine, all box and literature and parts intact, whistle, screen glasses all perfect, box unmarked, I tested it and judge it to have never been run in its life,   

which now having been photographed and massaged slightly by editing begs the question, is the Clan or the Britannia the finer model?

A very tricky question!

post-7929-0-90686400-1530311320_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-45045600-1530311346_thumb.jpg

With 70013 being such a famous august 1968 15 Guinea engine, I also felt obliged to hunt out another Black 5 44781 44871 pair, and found a cheap R2686B 44871 a while ago   yesterday found the rather rarer 44781 R2686A partner,  neither was really cheap but I am a sucker for the rarer models.

post-7929-0-01005700-1530311679_thumb.jpg

What a day!  The burdens are many!  

cheers

• Like 7

If someone wants to celebrate the August 1968 15 Guinea Special they could do worse than re-number a Hornby Black 5, to 45110, with the right boiler and smokebox etc.,and it would maybe look a little like this.

post-7929-0-11243500-1530386520_thumb.jpg

45110 hauled IT57 from Liverpool to Manchester and back on that day, when 70013 and 44781/44871 did the honours elsewhere.

be cheaper than a 70013 with three carriages!  :)

R2904 45190 might be suitable... welded tender, correct boiler, lowered lamp holder?

post-7929-0-50677200-1530413138_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

If someone wants to celebrate the August 1968 15 Guinea Special they could do worse than re-number a Hornby Black 5, to 45110, with the right boiler and smokebox etc.,and it would maybe look a little like this.

attachicon.gif45110_Black_5_3a_r1200.jpg

45110 hauled IT57 from Liverpool to Manchester and back on that day, when 70013 and 44781/44871 did the honours elsewhere.

be cheaper than a 70013 with three carriages!  :)

R2904 45190 might be suitable... welded tender, correct boiler, lowered lamp holder?

attachicon.gif45110_Black_5_Stanier_portrait10_3abc_r1200.jpg

Nice!

Just thinking, according to various online inflation calculators, the 15 Guinea Special would end up (roughly) as the 264 Guinea Special today!  Shouldn't be too difficult to replicate the entire train in model format for that price...