Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wheatley said:

I saw that in the cabinet in Monkbar the other day while I was buying my Pilchard, I wondered whether you'd have one by now!

Thanks Stuart, had to be done!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, 31A said:

IMG_4434D.jpeg.eb217408c9e893264bc6e55eaf10dcdf.jpeg

I know it's not the point of your post Steve, but I do like the advertising hoarding visible above and behind the loco - very much captures the look of the poster arrays of those times.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

I know it's not the point of your post Steve, but I do like the advertising hoarding visible above and behind the loco - very much captures the look of the poster arrays of those times.

Thank you Chas, glad you like it!  In reality I wish it wasn't there!

I put it on the side of the bridge before I'd decided to make a loco yard there; with hindsight I don't think it's a very suitable place for a poster hoarding, but it's well stuck on and I can't get it off.  There's another one on the other side of the bridge which is a more suitable location, but it doesn't get photographed very often.

I 'collected' the posters; some are ones that are available from model railway suppliers, others were culled from the internet and re-sized so that they printed out to scale.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Ah - I hadn't thought of that, of it not facing a public area. Any chance that area was actually formerly something else, something that did have public access but which was then turned into the yard?

I have the luxury on my layout of total fiction and I can pretend anything is - or was - whatever I like, but I realise you are dealing with something a little less malleable...!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Any chance that area was actually formerly something else, something that did have public access but which was then turned into the yard?

Well that'd would be one explanation Chas - thanks for the idea!  In my defence Your Honour, pre WW2 there were adverts on the retaining wall above the turntable at King's Cross, but they were the enamel tin sort that didn't need changing, or get damaged by loco smoke!  I'm still thinking about it....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Nicely done Sir! Multimedia Modelling at its best - and I'm sure it will provide a superb upgrade for the layout.:)

Yes, another building block in the illusion of reality.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, mullie said:

Stretching sprue over a candle anyone?

I don't think I've ever tried that, although I remember reading about it, mainly in model aircraft magazines.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, 31A said:

I don't think I've ever tried that, although I remember reading about it, mainly in model aircraft magazines.

I remember learning to do that in the 70s after reading about it in Gerald Scarborough's Airfix Modelling guide books, to make radio aerials for military vehicle kits!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, 31A said:

With things progressing nicely with the outside of the signal box, it was time to give some thought to the inside.  Did I mention, the 'box is at the front of the baseboard, and has no upstairs windows in its back.  And, I get bored with doing buildings when it comes to fitting out the interiors, and don't usually do it!  But there are limited views of the inside through the end windows, so I thought there ought to be some representation of a lever frame, at least.

I had used the Wills signal box interior kit for the last one I did, but it's relatively expensive and wouldn't have given me nearly enough levers - to have bought two kits would have resulted in a lot of left over bits.  So, I came up with this idea for making a lever frame:

IMG_4416.jpeg.6152c1baa46df792597cd63c9d0f00d2.jpeg

Cutting the Ratio station fencing up thus gives sections of 16 levers.  Admittedly they're pretty basic levers with no representation of catch handles etc., but the won't be closely scrutinised and at least they're all straight and in line.  Then I curved the top of a strip of 60 thou plasticard to represent the frame, and stuck the lever sections along its edge.  The slots are represented by pieces of microstrip glued between the levers.

IMG_4417.jpeg.c321b74feab408ea11f12f107fd72654.jpeg

Drawings in "An Illustrated History of Great Northern Railway Signalling" show various items of signalbox furniture - battery cupboard, combined desk and notice board, and lockers so I got a bit carried away and made some of them too.

Then I got even more carried away (by men in white coats, ought to be!) and made some even more fiddly bits of furniture.

IMG_4455.jpeg.2d5f3de30d1717f858a362c23d2354c2.jpeg

Belfast sink, cooker, stool and armchair.  The stool is made from a loco headcode disc and bits of wire, and the chair is made from a bit of brass with left over scraps of etched signal ladder for the legs and back.  In absence of 4mm scale Dexion, the legs for the sink and cooker are from left over bits of wire.

Did I mention, there are no windows in the back..... :cry:

But there will be a bar of soap near the sink, so that the bobby can wash his hands properly, won't there?

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, great northern said:

But there will be a bar of soap near the sink, so that the bobby can wash his hands properly, won't there?

Of course!!

• Like 4

On 04/02/2022 at 22:54, 31A said:

Thoughts then turned to the signal box stairs.  I wanted to use the Ratio Wooden Staircase kit, but I realised it wouldn't be long enough and I would have to splice two together.  A characteristic of GNR signal boxes played in my favour here; although you'd probably recognise one if you were looking at it, they were remarkably unstandardised, and some of the staircase arrangements were decidedly quirky.  Looking through "An Illustrated History of Great Northern Railway Signalling", I found a similar arrangement to what I had in mind at Ranskill, on the ECML north of Retford.  As far as I know the box is still there today, functioning as a level crossing box, but with modern replacement stairs.

Anyway, this is what I came up with as a way of splicing one and a half Ratio kits together, with a reasonably strong joint provided by the intermediate landing.

IMG_4398.jpeg.bb8f14fb75634d464dc0c66a038b32a1.jpeg

IMG_4399.jpeg.2f140d1e421fba9d45543613f56af208.jpeg

And now painted and ready to attach to the box; the Bobby's Facilities come as part of the etched kit, with the roof again from Wills slates, filed down on the underside to reduce the thickness.

2130098602_IMG_4445(1).jpeg.fc8d9b89b92f12237dfccaabec9e0c0c.jpeg

I saw your steps and thought of this…

c.02/1973 - Goods & Mineral Jct, Belle Isle, London.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

I saw your steps and thought of this…

c.02/1973 - Goods & Mineral Jct, Belle Isle, London.

Thank you; yes that's one of the ones I had in mind!  Although it's a bit taller than mine.  I think Hitchin Yard box also had a quirky arrangement, although that was another tall box.

• Like 2