Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

image.png.57e3b9a4be2637b02fd586b0adedfdb2.png

Thank you Phil, some great photos there!  The location cases by the stairs in the picture of Finsbury Park No. 6 are the kind of thing I've got in mind; the pictures of Biggleswade box in the MRC article show some similar at the back of the box and they would look good there on my model as that is the side that you see.  I had in mind that I'd seen some drawings of similar, but can't find them now.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

I was going to say "that's bl**by marvellous!" but leopardml2341 beat me to it!! Wonderful piece of work Steve, absolute pleasure to look at...

Thank you Chas, glad you like it!

• Like 1

On 28/02/2022 at 14:07, 31A said:

Well I think the signal box is just about finished now.  The weathering turned out a bit more extreme than I intended!  Still, steam age buildings couldn't have always been clean.

The excellent laser engraved name boards from Scale Model Scenery finish it off nicely, much neater than I could have made myself.

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/lx093-oo-laser-engraved-signal-box-nameplates-oo4mm176-1081-p.asp

And I even managed to find a "PRIVATE" sign for the door on a sheet of printed notices.  The chimney pots still haven't turned up though so I'll have to deal with that later.

IMG_4503.jpeg.a5aceb19287c7dc4e141fd40d3b596d5.jpeg

IMG_4504.jpeg.16b43c9847dc8b60e5455d49980f754c.jpeg

This is more the view that will normally be seen on the layout.  It will need a bit of scenic 'bedding in' obviously, but I suppose I ought to have a go at some point rodding first - such fun!

IMG_4507.jpeg.91f24e8b343c6f59ad307aaac8158732.jpeg

It could probably do with some 'stuff' around it like a coal bunker, for a start.

I wonder whether anyone's got any details of old-style location cabinets / relay / battery boxes - the sort that were made of wood and stood on concrete legs, for example?

The signal box looks fantastic. There was a series of articles by Peter Kay in London Railway Record on the signalling of the southern end of Great Northern Mainline - the last article I saw was upto Wood Green/Bowes Park where the Hertford Loop diverged. There are some really useful detail photos in the articles.

I managed to obtain from ebay the D&S GNR signal box kit, unfortunately it did have any instructions. I can work out where most of the items go but do you have a set of instructions that you could copy and send me?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, wilks said:

The signal box looks fantastic. There was a series of articles by Peter Kay in London Railway Record on the signalling of the southern end of Great Northern Mainline - the last article I saw was upto Wood Green/Bowes Park where the Hertford Loop diverged. There are some really useful detail photos in the articles.

I managed to obtain from ebay the D&S GNR signal box kit, unfortunately it did have any instructions. I can work out where most of the items go but do you have a set of instructions that you could copy and send me?

Hi Wilks, yes I have got the instructions and can send you a copy.  It might not be until tomorrow though as I am busy today.

Yes, the London Railway Record is good for pictures of GN signal boxes!  Glad you like mine - thank you.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Nice job Steve. 

Regards Lez.

37 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

That's a cracker Steve. Silk Purse and all that; love the weathering too.

P

Many thanks guys, glad you like it!  And everyone else who's very kindly 'liked' etc....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

As others have said, a terrific job Steve! I've wanted one of these for ages, avoided the split chassis version and was waiting for the new Bachmann one to come out, only to see it cancelled, so building one went from 'never' to 'probably' and your build is therefore very topical...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

As others have said, a terrific job Steve! I've wanted one of these for ages, avoided the split chassis version and was waiting for the new Bachmann one to come out, only to see it cancelled, so building one went from 'never' to 'probably' and your build is therefore very topical...

Thanks Chas!  Yes, a pity about the new Bachmann one being cancelled.  It would have been nice to have seen an updated body moulding.  Having said that, what I did wasn't too difficult and has turned out OK.  Probably I could have done a bit more to upgrade the body myself.

I used the Branchlines gearbox because I had had it in stock for years, but if I was to do it again I'd look at using a High Level Kits one.  I did a bit of playing around with drawings and think a Loadhauler would probably fit in the same way that I've done it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, 31A said:

Thanks Chas!  Yes, a pity about the new Bachmann one being cancelled.  It would have been nice to have seen an updated body moulding.  Having said that, what I did wasn't too difficult and has turned out OK.  Probably I could have done a bit more to upgrade the body myself.

I used the Branchlines gearbox because I had had it in stock for years, but if I was to do it again I'd look at using a High Level Kits one.  I did a bit of playing around with drawings and think a Loadhauler would probably fit in the same way that I've done it.

If it ain't broke... 😀

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 31A said:

At the other end, I tried to make a lead off board to go in front of the signal box, but was unable to fit all the cranks in.

There quite often isn’t room for all the cranks in order on the leading off bed.  Special high and low cranks allowed them to be interleaved to fit.

Paul.

Rodding run looks good.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice work Steve and it certainly shows how over-scale some commercial products are, as you say. Also very interested in that boarded cover infront of the box, exactly what I need in a similar location, I just hadn't got around to finding photos to work from yet!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I like that a lot. I've often felt that understatement works well in the context of models. In the real world our eye's wouldn't be drawn to point rodding but we would be sort of aware that it was there. Your representation works a treat Steve.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

There quite often isn’t room for all the cranks in order on the leading off bed.  Special high and low cranks allowed them to be interleaved to fit.

Paul.

Rodding run looks good.

Thank you, Paul!  Maybe if I'd thought about it some more I might have come up with a plausible arrangement but I didn't really want to get into too much complication, particularly as the front of the box isn't really visible from normal viewing angles.  The rodding that I have done is really quite simplified; don't ask about FPLs, for example!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Very nice work Steve and it certainly shows how over-scale some commercial products are, as you say. Also very interested in that boarded cover infront of the box, exactly what I need in a similar location, I just hadn't got around to finding photos to work from yet!

Thanks Chas, glad you like it.  I found a few pictures of ex GN boxes where the boarding was like that, so I thought I'd do that as its a bit different - more often it is level and can form part of a walkway, and the boards ran parallel to the lines rather transversely.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Neil said:

I like that a lot. I've often felt that understatement works well in the context of models. In the real world our eye's wouldn't be drawn to point rodding but we would be sort of aware that it was there. Your representation works a treat Steve.

Thanks Neil - a classic case of 'less is more'!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

So having got that far, I sprayed the whole thing with Halfords Grey Etching Primer, and thought about how to get the rods to cross the lines.

In the past I have done this by breaking the rodding runs, and making the bit in the 'four foot' from pieces of 0.5mm square section plastic rod, in order to avoid the risk of short circuits by running metal rodding under the rails, and also having to cut through the web of the Peco track.  You can see this at the bottom of one of the above pictures where I had done a section already, but I've never been very happy with it.  No matter how carefully I've tried to line up the bits, it always seems obvious that the rodding isn't continuous, although it may look better or worse depending on the point of view.

So I decided I should try and run the new rodding continuously across the lines.  I dug out the ballast from the sleeper bays and cut away the webbing between the sleepers, and insulated the underneath of the rails by glueing tiny pieces of black paper to the foot of the rail.  This was probably the most fiddly bit!  I tacked the paper in place with Evo Stick, then applied lashings of Cyano.

Then, I realised I wouldn't be able to solder up the rollers / stools / rods 'off site' as I wouldn't be able to thread them under the rails of I did.  Also, these runs would be either single or at most two rods, and I didn't think my method of making the rollers would be very easy if I was chasing tiny bits of wire / PCB around with a soldering iron.  So, I had a rummage and found I had some T Section Plastruct (2.4mm x 2.4mm) in stock, and set about using that to make the rollers.

To try and be consistent, I made a drilling jig from a bit of scrap tin, a bit like a big Peco rail joiner that would slide along the foot of the T Section, with holes in for a 0.55mm drill.  The holes are as close together as I thought I could get away with; nominally about 1mm apart.

IMG_4844.jpeg.14a2f873d8180e8a06047b39390d2b0a.jpeg

The most I would need for this stage would be a double run of rods (and most are single runs), but the jig can be used for multiple runs by sliding it along and putting a spare drill bit through the last hole to hold it in place while drilling the next two.

IMG_4852.jpeg.07b61953eb6be3f90a125aa8fcb2b290.jpeg

Then I parted the rollers off from the styrene, and reduced the height slightly above the drilled holes.  This brought it very close to the height of the abortive Brassmasters rollers.

Then I sprayed some more lengths of the rodding wire with primer, and passed them through underneath the rails, and threaded the plastic rollers on as required.  It's surprising how much of the wire this uses up!

IMG_4846.jpeg.3d182592637c678b067754c1d0c088d5.jpeg

Cyano proved to be good at sticking the plastic rollers to the cork underlay, even if some look as though they're standing in puddles at the moment - this will be tidied up later.  I didn't represent stools on these sections; I think where rodding crosses the lines, the rollers are set lower, flush with the ballast.

IMG_4845.jpeg.49e166ded28f3abb1c2effbebd657e5e.jpeg

In the above picture, I think the continuous rodding crossing the two left hand roads looks a lot better than the 'discontinuous' rodding on the right, even if it isn't always very straight - lining up the sleepers so that point rodding could run straight across wasn't really a consideration when I laid the track!

The main run of rodding on the right which I had completed previously, has now been toned down with some weathering (cranks painted black) and fixed down.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, 31A said:

About time for an update!  I've spent a lot of time lately building stuff for others, but have been doing a bit on the layout as well.  

Having built the new signal box, I decided it looked a bit lonely plonked down on the baseboard on its own, and needed some rodding to go with it.  Ages ago I'd brought some of the Brassmasters etches for point rodding rollers.  They looked fine at first sight and quite an ingenious design but when I tried to put them together I found I just couldn't get on with them, so I looked for an alternative.

I think point rodding on layouts can be 'overdone', i.e. over scale really.  I wanted to give the impression that the rods are so close together that you wouldn't be able to reach between them, almost like patio decking.  I think the normal pitch for channel section rodding is something like 2.75 inches, i.e. less than a millimetre in 4mm scale.

So I decided to make rollers and stools myself using chunks of copper clad sleeper material for the stools and sections of square brass wire to represent the rollers.  Round wire would obviously have been more realistic but I found chasing bits of wire and PCB around with a hot soldering iron was slightly easier if some of the bits were square.  For the actual rodding I used the 0.45mm square nickel silver wire sold by Wizard Models for the purpose.

So here are some of the roller / stool assemblies on the bench.

IMG_4843.jpeg.4c4ff83e93168d8d3606e88107b2890e.jpeg

And a section of rodding soldered up.  Both the rodding and the roller assemblies were trimmed to length afterwards.

IMG_4685.jpeg.e13d6c18162876e6d3749139a43edd3f.jpeg

I had ideas of using thin aluminium sheet as a distance gauge between the rods but didn't have enough fingers to make that work so just did it by eye.  After that, I soldered more, thin, wire across the top to represent the top rollers.  This was soldered on using low melt point solder in order not to disturb the existing work.  It was difficult to stop the solder from running in between the rods, but I think when painted and weathered that isn't too obvious.

I terminated the rods with Brassmasters point cranks at the points where they crossed under the rails.  Here the rodding run is just laid in place one the baseboard.

IMG_4682.jpeg.c4b7c05f9e84ff40ac710fa42f67dd72.jpeg

At the other end, I tried to make a lead off board to go in front of the signal box, but was unable to fit all the cranks in.

IMG_4701.jpeg.b82b2173e74e3b944d71556416291131.jpeg

So I chickened out of that idea, and decided to cover over the area in front of the box with boarding, especially as the front of the box isn't really visible.  Some pictures I found of GN boxes which had the cranks etc. covered over had structures like this in front of the box.  I presume the boards could be removed to access the cranks etc as necessary, but it doesn't look as though it would be easy to walk on - perhaps that was the point!

IMG_4718.jpeg.877c3b9fe9f3535b32b801c2479d3f4e.jpeg

And a couple more shots showing the completed run in place but still not fixed down.  I had made the run offs to the left at the bottom before.

IMG_4705.jpeg.68466df113d716e6ee5db05779cd93ed.jpeg

IMG_4706.jpeg.146dd32075375e0ff5dcb757e9030471.jpeg

Rodders looks brillo matey. Loads of Cranks, as is always on RMWeb!

Stay Cool and watch out for expansion.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2