Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

OTOH, you may like the stacked arms.

Thanks Paul, yes another doll to the left might be an answer although I think the site at Harrogate is a bit more spacious than my layout.  But yes, I do quite like the stacked arms!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Going right off the deep end now, would something like this this work?  I think the shunt signal for platform 3 should be lowered as well.

Studio_20221006_224439.png.dfefb8165ec12db0cba9e575237099c5.png

Thank you, that's brilliant!  Although the arms on the left might need some ingenious crank arrangements to make them work.  But I do prefer it with the arms lined up across the bottom (yes I agree, the platform 3 shunt signal should be lowered into line).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 31A said:

Thank you, that's brilliant!  Although the arms on the left might need some ingenious crank arrangements to make them work.  But I do prefer it with the arms lined up across the bottom (yes I agree, the platform 3 shunt signal should be lowered into line).

I'm not convinced by the "stepped" girder on the left. A prototype photo would change my mind though...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I'm not convinced by the "stepped" girder on the left. A prototype photo would change my mind though...

Well first, it isn't a stepped girder.  It's a gantry with an additional bracket fixed to the left hand post, so structurally I think it works.  And second, you're right, it really does strain credibility quite hard.  

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 31A said:

Another go; Mock Up v3.

All the arms are on one level except for upper left, and the whole thing has worked out about 10mm lower, although I'll still have to lengthen the posts a bit.

I think I'm happy with this and now just have to work out how to make it.  Thanks to everyone for their input which is much appreciated and especially @Flying Pig for making me think again about underhung arms!

IMG_5336.jpeg.f3ced750b5db731a099ccec24cd1b0cd.jpeg

IMG_5335.jpeg.3a166ccfb3ec5becb52456776a393f03.jpeg

Now that I do like.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nice work Steve! I built the Traintronics TT181 4-track gantry and you're quite right about the absence of bracing and about the presence of a top walkway hiding the fact... Too late to add it now though, painted and installed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 01/11/2022 at 17:08, 31A said:

A bit more work on the signal gantry.

I have made the wooden doll posts from real wood; old chopsticks to be precise which I presume are probably bamboo.

Excellent material for Chow Mein-line signals, Steve! 😉

(Sorry, dreadful pun, couldn't resist though: how often does anything to do with Chinese food crop on here? 🤐)

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
On 01/11/2022 at 17:08, 31A said:

A bit more work on the signal gantry.

I have made the wooden doll posts from real wood; old chopsticks to be precise which I presume are probably bamboo.  It's nice hard wood which can be cut, drilled etc. very accurately.  I made the dolls by first planing a length square, then putting the taper on using a big file.  I had a whitemetal one to copy, but think there are various advantages to using wood.  For one thing, there's less risk of bits becoming unsoldered when you solder other bits on!

The arm bearings are from small brass tube; I filed a notch in the dolls for the bearing to sit in, then attached it to the post by a U shaped hasp of brass wire soldered to the tube and passed through holes in the post, then clenched over on the other side and filed flat.  The lamp brackets are from brass strip, with a hole drilled for a pin through the post to be soldered to them.  Again, the pin head filed flush on the other side of the post.

IMG_5365.jpeg.0d60f222436c5440b66aab711a9f9a72.jpeg

The arm bearings incorporate a clutch arrangement to ensure the arms stand horizontally when "on" and limit the amount they raise to when "off".  This is done by filing a half section on the end of the bearing, and making a collar to fit behind the arm, with a half section filed in that too so that each half section mates when the arm is placed in the bearing, then filing away the piece on the post until the arm stands horizontally and rises to about 45 degrees when off.   The challenge is to make these pieces small enough that the arm is close to the post when it's in place.  But I think better than seeing arms at random angles, which can be the case with model signals.  Hopefully the picture makes this clearer than my words!

IMG_5413.jpeg.61e5ce57dd6499a2a4905c620acfff68.jpeg

Having done that for all the arms, they are now temporarily in place to check they all line up horizontally.  Not bad, although there might be a little bit more tweaking required!

IMG_5412.jpeg.079e270e8db97776f80fe2ffcfdea576.jpeg

So far so good; I still haven't really worked out how it's all going to work, but I guess that's the next stage!

You have the Patience of Glasshopper when he was Meditating. 

Will the Signal Arms, if operated in sequence, play 'Chopsticks' as they clank up and down? Asking for a friend.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Excellent material for Chow Mein-line signals, Steve! 😉

(Sorry, dreadful pun, couldn't resist though: how often does anything to do with Chinese food crop on here? 🤐)

Nice one, Chas! 🤣🤣🤣

Sorry, I can't think of anything to follow that with!  The chopsticks were never any good for eating with (or not for me, anyway), I think they came with a Wok and I was going to throw them away but they actually make good modelling material!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for injecting an unannounced video into your thread Steve but I rather think you'll like it.

The railway stuff really comes into full focus after about three minutes but there's plenty to like in the first section too.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Like the N2 Steve, I did one some years ago to represent 69552, which was at Colwick for a while in the 1950s.

69552.JPG.94fc8ca4c4fecb464172fdfcc71eefca.JPG

Removal of the condensing pipes totally changes the appearance.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 10