Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

On 04/02/2022 at 22:11, mullie said:

Stretching sprue over a candle anyone?

I do it for making wiring on the outside of buildings, telephone wires, cabling and also fine details on rolling stock. I think that all my buildings have a bit of that.

I first encountered it in the instructions for making a WW2 vehicle, maybe a US army lorry, to make the radio antenna. Like others have said that would make it a technique from military modelling.

Hold the sprue above the flame and bend back and forwards to see how soft it is. Pull slowly for a thick wire and steadily for a thin one. Don't put the sprue in the flame, that doesn't work.

On a different point, it is really good to see someone else using a thin ply base covered with plastic brick cards for buildings, it makes for a very strong laminate. Lovely work on the signal box.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2022 at 21:41, 31A said:

But it hasn't all been retail therapy - there has been some modelling as well!

After over 20 years I thought it was time Finsbury Square had a proper signalbox.  Up to now, the signalling has been controlled from a very old Heljan kit.  It's still available today and now part of the Gaugemaster range, but they persist in describing it as a Great Western signalbox, whereas in reality it's quite a decent model of a Great NORTHERN Railway 'box; in fact it's probably based on the drawing of Biggleswade (South) 'box that was printed in the Augsut 1975 MRC.  The 'box at Finsbury Square is at the front of the layout with its back to the viewer so the plastic kit wasn't too much of an issue, although the roof slates are a bit chunky.  It looks a bit worse for wear now though!

IMG_4442.jpeg.57a669ba96ab370f87db048155bb40e9.jpeg

Anyway, in 1992 D&S Models brought out an etched kit for a very similar 'box (or at least the top part of one), and I bought two.  I used one to make a smaller 'box (two thirds of the length) and put the other one away.  I decided its time had come, and I still had the spare 'third' from the first kit, so I would be able to make a longer, and suitably imposing, box for this layout.  As Finsbury Square is not a real place, the signalbox has an element of 'freelance' about it, but the overall dimensions come out very similar to those of Leeds 'A' box at Leeds Central station.

Here are the main parts set out.  Obviously one end had to be separated from the front.

IMG_4351.jpeg.9bda0d5f90895aaf3646407078d0032b.jpeg

And spliced and basically assembled:

IMG_4352.jpeg.aca65260ffc145c8afe57ec955e42e62.jpeg

With this kit you're on your own for the brick base, and the roof.  Hoping to make a solid base, I decided to use 1.5mm ply with Slater's brick embossed Plasticard laminated to it.  So here's the kit of parts for the brick base.

IMG_4368.jpeg.30f89a32f03f387a4bd0ef5eb97358f5.jpeg

And braced on the inside with square stripwood.

IMG_4369.jpeg.3e848a4f94ac7701f3901632ee32d938.jpeg

And here is the woodwork finished, and the soldering likewise.  All the windows, the door, barge boards and finials.  Also the handrail round the front and sides.  Unfortunately there is one sliding window frame missing!  I'd nicked this when I built the first kit to make an extra window in the back.  I'll come back to that later!  The brass bit isn't fixed to the wooden bit yet, and won't be for a long time.

IMG_4372.jpeg.4f4fd667d19433d015be7769e83fa5cd.jpeg

Great piece of modelling, Can you still get the D&S kit?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, wilks said:

Great piece of modelling, Can you still get the D&S kit?

Thank you; glad you like it!

Not as far as I know.  I had an idea that it had passed to another supplier; many items from the D&S signal parts range are under the Model Signal Engineering brand from Wizard Models, but I don't think the signal box is part of that.  I thought it might have gone to Churchward Models who do (did?) several other brass signal box kits, but I can't see it there either, unfortunately.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2022 at 23:15, 31A said:

Thank you; glad you like it!

Not as far as I know.  I had an idea that it had passed to another supplier; many items from the D&S signal parts range are under the Model Signal Engineering brand from Wizard Models, but I don't think the signal box is part of that.  I thought it might have gone to Churchward Models who do (did?) several other brass signal box kits, but I can't see it there either, unfortunately.

Thanks for the response. I couldn't see it in the Wizard, MSE or the Precision Paints range of kits.

Happy modelling.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, wilks said:

Through the LNER Modellers Group I have been altered to the D&S signal box kit on ebay, which I have purchased.

Thank you for your help.

Well done, hope you enjoy building it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Superbio Steve. I shall look at the various Box Pictures on You Tube or those modern media things as you can too.  I am sure Dunsignalling will know some stuff but he did work on the Premier Mainline of course but Many boxes were Cream and Green.

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1