Demos and societies at exhibitions

David Bigcheeseplant

Having been round a few model railway shows I sometimes wonder about demos and societies. I think some are quite active and welcoming like the Scalefour Society stand others I won’t mention seem to either have heads down modelling and their only conversation is with their fellow modellers, another society had a table with just leaflets with a member sat beside the table looking half asleep, also there are ones who like to wear the uniform and hats of the said society which the less said about the better.

Demos like Maggie and Gordon Gravett seem to encourage interaction while other demos seem to be again heads down don’t interrupt me I am modelling!!  

Just wonder what other think

David

• RMweb Premium

With respect to demonstrating - this may be helpful http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79064-demonstrations-at-model-railway-shows/&do=findComment&comment=1240285

You're right about Society stands though - pretty much depends on the people manning it and how they do or don't engage with the public.

I've done both - as a full "demonstrator" and also as a society rep doing some (very little) modelling. You get the looks from passers-by that because it's a 00 diesel, it doesn't interest them, but my approach is to say that modelling is modelling - it doesn't matter whether you do steam, diesel, electric or clockwork, T, N, TT, 0, G1, whatever scale/gauge - many of the techniques are used by all eras and gauges. That way it can often engage those that may initially be uninterested.

I consider a good demo weekend for me, when I've got very little actual work done and a sore throat from talking!

Cheers,

Mick

One of the best interactive people I've seen at an exhibition was the guy at Stafford a few years ago (2011?) who exhibited a layout (O 16.5?) based on Cotehele Quay. He talked to everyone who stopped. It was a layout, not a demo, but he had people surrounding him listening to what he had to says and what the punters had to say.

He did interrupt the discussion occasionally to say "better run a train"

It was the interaction that was compelling, not the subject.

Mind you I really don't remember much else about the exhibition, which does say a lot about this guy.

I must agree with the observation that a lot of demonstrators always seem to have their heads down modelling. I've seen plenty of them myself. That situation must be placed in the exhibition managers court. If they cannot persuade these people to communicate then they should look elsewhere and not allocate places on the understanding that he (or she) has  always done that particular demo every year for years and years and years!

Here's a view of yours truely at a Hull MRS exhibition a few years ago talking (as usual) on all things electrical including mains wiring. You will notice front and centre I have a very large soldering iron which is only there to induce people to talk to me. Even then it can be a battle to get some folks to overcome their natural shyness.

post-276-0-93924100-1394826712.jpg 

One of the best interactive people I've seen at an exhibition was the guy at Stafford a few years ago (2011?) who exhibited a layout (O 16.5?) based on Cotehele Quay. He talked to everyone who stopped. It was a layout, not a demo, but he had people surrounding him listening to what he had to says and what the punters had to say.

He did interrupt the discussion occasionally to say "better run a train"

It was the interaction that was compelling, not the subject.

Mind you I really don't remember much else about the exhibition, which does say a lot about this guy.

That sounds like Chris Peacock with Calstock (Cotehele). Both operator/demonatrator and layout will be at Trainwest on 12 & 13 April.

Geoff Endacott

Hello.

When I am ut and about doing demos at shows I really try to engage people as much as possible, after all its why I am there. Sometimes it can be really difficult to speak to everyone at a show though, especially when there are more than a couple of people showing an interest. I really hope that I dont fall into any of the categories David mentioned above.

Missy :)

Demos and societies are two very different beasts.  I can talk the hind leg off the proverbial donkey if I'm representing a society or am the "front man" on a layout; but demonstrating, no I'm useless.  There's them that can't (including me) and them that can (our own Missy, and Maggie and Gordon).  The best place for demos is the balcony at St Albans.  The worst in my opinion is Guildex, where too many "names" are building kits at the Guild's expense and doing there best to ignore those who have spent good money to gain admittance to their august presence.  But there are exceptions, including a Yorkshire RMWebber.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Hi David and all

I have worked on a club demo stand and demoed on a society stand (DEMU). It is very difficult at times to engage the public. True if I am modelling then the public are reluctant to talk as they may be disturbing you*. But just sitting there staring at the public also puts them off. I find having some part made items in front of me showing the steps I take to make a model usally gets them looking at the table, it is then when I can start conversing with them if they do not talk to me first. It does not hurt to say "hello" to anyone who approaches the table, no matter how important a stage you are at with your model.  

* never fear "You don't want to do it like that." doesn't care about disturbing you.

It does seem a shame to disturb some demonstrators.  There they sit like industrious gnomes, totally oblivious to what is going on around them.  World War 3 could break out and they would be none the wiser!  There are times when I am sorely tempted to intrude upon their blissful reverie since I am more than capable of asking stoopid questions.  Demonstrators like that do the organisations that they purport to represent no favours and may indeed harm the cause that they are there to champion.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hello.

When I am ut and about doing demos at shows I really try to engage people as much as possible, after all its why I am there. Sometimes it can be really difficult to speak to everyone at a show though, especially when there are more than a couple of people showing an interest. I really hope that I dont fall into any of the categories David mentioned above.

Missy :)

You don't.  You've always got something interesting on the go and some progress to show or something new to see and talk and learn about.  But don't tell anyone or they'll all be crowding round.

• RMweb Premium

I try to demonstrate simpler modelling -- in Canada I do card kits because it's not as common. Also, it's something that the younger ones can do. I bring a pile of old buildings, including the one I did in school.

I still get comments "It must take a lot of patience to do that" as I assemble a Superquick house.

And there is one group who set up a large collection of stuff on the floor and put up a ring of chairs -- all pointing in at the trains.

Down Under at several exhibitions, there is a stand there to encourage a younger generation of modellers into the hobby.

First up is the 'You Drive' layout that introduce children to model railways by letting them have a drive of one of the various TTE models, around a half decent layout.

post-14327-0-40489900-1394858322.jpg

Second is the 'Hands On Kids Scenery Lesson' stand that introduce the children into scenery building. This is manned by the elder members of the club, who are always too helpful to answer any questions, regarding their stand, club or just general model railway.

post-14327-0-99013900-1394859608_thumb.jpg

Not only do they have the stand there for the childrens enjoyment but they have excellent demos on scenic building and small dioramas of 'how to'. Again, always friendly for a chat to expand the novice and long term modellers mind.

post-14327-0-74973000-1394860114_thumb.jpg

Nothing changes regarding some of the stands where it is much more a social meeting place, rather than a proper discussion stand. As has been mentioned previously, these are generally the chaps who really only care about themselves and also seem to think they are better than the common folk who come to the shows to learn something new.

Cheers, Gary.

• RMweb Premium

I have had three different experiences at shows to do with demos and society stands.

The best has been at the EMGS shows both north and south where on stopping to have a look I was always invited to sit and ask questions.

The worst was at a local show which was normally very well run by two groups, but for some reason one had pulled out, leaving a poorly organised show with obviously ill prepared people fill spaces with demos which were what ever they had half built at home, or stands showing modelling but which had nothing to do with railways.

And finally some very popular shows where there were just so many people at the demo stands I couldn't get near them, they could have done with a mini theatre set up

This is one area of "exhibiting" that I have been discussing with several local exhibition organisers lately.............In my opinion the main cause of the problem is the height of the demo tables.  This encourages the "view of the (bald) head" and then the lack of interaction.  Chairs in front of the demo table can take up very valuable space where as a table/workbench at a counter height would allow interested parties to stand in front and see the demonstration and could get involved much earlier.  Regarding demos aimed at children, that's another subject but folk must remember some have a very short attention span!

While on the subject of exhibitions, what about the team behind the layout more intent on discussing the price of sugar at Aldi (other supermarkets are available!) with NO movement on the tracks........then there's the big layouts with a fiddle yard on view totally crammed with stock saying "look how much we have spent on OUR hobby!" :threaten:

Perhaps we need to consider how people are invited to get involved, how to engage those that are interested, what can be done to remove the barriers to conversation and what can be done to create an "open" atmosphere? 

If a demonstrator is sitting behind a table, then that represents something of a barrier. The visitor has to take a definitive action to sit down and get involved. Does the S4Society's approach with their stand, which is at counter height, make it more approachable? It might make it difficult for a demonstrator to have to stand all day, but a bar stool/chair might be the answer.

Would a cctv system, focussed on the demo work area, help those that can't get near to a popular demonstration. How aware is the demonstrator of a queue building up and how can/should they handle it. I have sometimes given up when I have wanted to to ask a question because someone appears to have planted themselves in front of a demo for the day.

I took part of a layout under construction to expoEM last year, putting labels in a number of  locations to explain what was happening/how a particular feature was being made. This seemed to provide the opportunity for viewers to ask questions and start a conversation. We had lots of interesting discussions over the weekend. It probably helped that it was a society show, as the visitors have a common interest in terms of scale, modelling ethos, etc.

We didn't intend to do any work on the model, just discuss it with those that wanted to ask anything. Some demonstrators seem to regard the day as a dedicated model making exercise, which sends out the wrong message about approachability. They need to have good communication skills as well as modelling expertise. Perhaps show organisers need to vet their demonstrators for communication and presentation ability, as well as provide guidelines and advice.

Jol

I think why the Scalefour society works well is because the stand is higher and if you are walking by you are at eye level the with those behind.

Most tables are low down so unless you decide to stop and sit down you have to make an effort to see what it’s all about.

The coin does go the other way as you do have people who come and sit down on a seat in front and are not interested in what you are doing but what to talk about themselves and their problems in life!

I do think many societies do need to have a look on how they present themselves; there have been times I have been interested in joining a said society only to be put off by the people manning the stand who seem more interested in what they are doing than the society they are trying to sell.

Preservation societies who are fund raising with a few leaflets and sell tat, mugs, hats Thomas flags seem to need a think of what they do maybe.

This one is interesting, isn't it? Some good points have been made already, and some good ideas have been presented. Sadly, you're never going to please all the people, all the time - but trying to strike a good balance between 'production' and 'communication' is key. A good display is important too, I think, particularly if the various stages of things like building construction, scenic work etc can be shown.

The well-known saying by Robbie Burns springs to mind...

"O would some power the gift to give us to see ourselves as others see us"...

As a regular Demo'er for DEMU, I do try and engage the public if possible and being an N Gauge Modeller representing DEMU it is reasonably easy, because a lot of the opening statements I hear are "Oh I thought DEMU was a 4mm society" and then off we go.

Another thought, is what you are demo'ing, when I was stripping coaches to use Adam Warrs Electra Rail Graphics, I had quite a few people gathered round watching what I was doing and asking questions.

I don't think there is a catch-all solution to this, because the only people who will stop and take notice of what you are doing, will be people who are interested in the subject matter (obvious statement I know), which for DEMU is Diesel & Electric modelling. Although there are a few who take Mick's (Newbryford) view, there are an awful lot who will turn their noses up because it isn't what they're interested in.

Regards

Neal.

• RMweb Premium

Hi David

I would disagree with the Scalefour stand. It might be at a height suitable for adults, it is quite often a youngster who says "look dad he is making his own trains" that brings the family over to see what I am doing. Little Johnny cannot see what is on the Scalefour stand.

I have often approached it to not be met with a "Hello" from those manning the stand. It often looks uninspiring and nearly always has someone making a turnout in a very complicated way as to discourage the mere RTR modeller. Worst is when there is a comparison display between Peco track and P4 track with that "those who model this are superior" air to it coupled with a bunch of middle age mates chatting to themselves totally ignoring the public.

• RMweb Premium

I am never sure what exhibition managers expect from demo stands. I think from reading a previous thread on RMweb about demos those who do not man these types of stands think that we who do should be entertainers. They seem to forget that we not only supply the models and tools ourselves (for a free lunch, if we are lucky) but it is our modelling we are showing the public.

When someone volunteers to represent their society at an exhibition, no one can state what they model, and cannot tell them how to react to the public. It can be hoped that they have the personality to engage with the public that is about all we can hope for.

Hi David

I would disagree with the Scalefour stand. It might be at a height suitable for adults, it is quite often a youngster who says "look dad he is making his own trains" that brings the family over to see what I am doing. Little Johnny cannot see what is on the Scalefour stand.

I have often approached it to not be met with a "Hello" from those manning the stand. It often looks uninspiring and nearly always has someone making a turnout in a very complicated way as to discourage the mere RTR modeller. Worst is when there is a comparison display between Peco track and P4 track with that "those who model this are superior" air to it coupled with a bunch of middle age mates chatting to themselves totally ignoring the public.

Well as a society stand I would think that saying hello is a good thing to say first off, and then showing what the difference between P4 and Peco is what the society is about, I have not seen any track building on a Scalefour stand for a while, remember the Scalefour Society stand is not a demo stand, and they are not trying to attract children.

I am never sure what exhibition managers expect from demo stands. I think from reading a previous thread on RMweb about demos those who do not man these types of stands think that we who do should be entertainers. They seem to forget that we not only supply the models and tools ourselves (for a free lunch, if we are lucky) but it is our modelling we are showing the public.

When someone volunteers to represent their society at an exhibition, no one can state what they model, and cannot tell them how to react to the public. It can be hoped that they have the personality to engage with the public that is about all we can hope for.

Clive,

people don't usually volunteer, they are invited. 

If you are invited to be a demonstrator then you have been recognised for your modelling skills and expertise. To effectively share those with others requires putting some effort into presenting what you do so that it is clearly explained and understood.

The responsibility for providing good demonstrations also lies with the organiser. The quality of the demos reflects on their show. They should specify what they want and provide the right environment to enable the demonstrator to provide that.

Part of the problem with the demo environment is that;

a - probably no one has given it much thought 

b - all that is to hand at an exhibition facility are tables and chairs.

Look at traders. Those that have the best, most noticeable stands usually have a purpose built display, often at counter height and with it's own lighting.  Those that just spread their products along a row of tables don't provide a good or easy experience for the customer. The same applies to layouts.

Jol

Archived