• 1 month later...

Sorry there have not been a lot of updates recently because my layout has been to Cambridheshire to have a beach made!

In the meantime I've bashed two Ratio stations together and begun to tie them in together.. First as you can see is the roof, i have used Redutex 3D adhesive tiling from DCC Supplies, it went on pretty easily, next is to paint both the old and new station parts so they match. The overall roof i have already built will fit onto the part that has no canopy attached.

post-18903-0-38118100-1415998716_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Bit more plodding along this evening with the station building, heres it mocked up against the Overall Roof

post-18903-0-48890200-1417558881_thumb.jpgpost-18903-0-67033100-1417558904_thumb.jpg

Still lots of fiddling to do, need to apply slate tiling to overall roof and then paint everything, however its coming together now.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well my buildings have come to a stop for Christmas and what not, it would seem however, that another of the Tormouth motley crew has been exceedingly busy, a bit like Mr Kipling; if his new cake shop is anything to go by!!

Here is the beginning of the Tormouth Street scene, again built by that very clever chap from the Valleys....Over to you Mr Robinson...

post-18903-0-09400400-1418644057.jpg

post-18903-0-81557500-1418644064.jpg

His Blog is slightly more enlightening than my ramblings :-

the Street So Far....!

http://iainrobinsonmodels.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all, its been a bit quiet on the Tormouth front on the forum, however in the background much work has progressed, Iain has finished the left hand side of the High Street and it looks absolutely wonderful!

Here are a few pictures captured by Iain's wife Petra.  Please do take a look at Iain's blog where he explains more about the build :-

http://iainrobinsonmodels.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/another-project-that-has-been-ongoing.html

post-18903-0-60673900-1423829537.jpg

post-18903-0-34889500-1423829611.jpg

post-18903-0-22196900-1423829618.jpg

In the background, more canopies have been built by me for the station, lights for the platforms acquired, more rolling stock purchased.  It will be nice to join it all together when it returns from Ben A's Ocean construction.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Evening followers!

Ben A has applied his excellent airbrushing skills to the Tormouth cliffs this weekend, they now look far more convincing than my initial painting made them appear!!

post-18903-0-92994300-1425244585_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 5

This week Ben A has really been motivated and has been cracking on with our layout to the point that the tide has come in and the beach has appeared!

This really is stunning work!

At this rate you should see two blokes with a layout blowing a trumpet at a show near you this side of Christmas!!

post-18903-0-98195800-1425502437_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Club meeting today so a chance to reunite Paul with his layout, and fire it up to run some trains....

A couple of shots showing a Dapol Cross Country Super Voyger (I still need to locate a fifth car!) running on the layout...

First arriving into Tormouth from the Cornwall direction.  Tormouth is set somewhere in South Devon but intentionally some way further along the coast from Dawlish, with its distinctive and much-modelled red cliffs...

post-420-0-41570000-1425840159_thumb.jpg

Tormouth is a relatively small station, though it still serves as a terminus for some local DMU services and has a couple of bay platforms.  The Super Voyager however was not stopping and carried on past the station, over the viaduct that straddles the mouth of the river Tor and into a tunnel.

post-420-0-22558900-1425840304_thumb.jpg

However, seconds after this photo was taken there was a thud and the train came to a shuddering halt - on inspection we realised the front overhang of the Super Voyager meant it did not clear the tunnel mouth at the rear of the layout into the fiddle yard... a couple of moments' work with a Dremel and all will be well!

Paul's had the layout back now pending the addition of the amazing buildings being made for it.  Once they are fitted we will take a view on what further foliage is needed - obviously some trees, and possibly a little more greenery "clinging" to the cliff face - and then consider additional details.  There are the funicular stations to be fitted (and the funicular to motorise) as well as static caravans in the clifftop park, a derelict pill box that was once intended to "defend" the bridge during WW2 and of course the station building and canopy.

Nigel (another group member) also came up with the suggestion of a pedestrian suspension bridge behind the main viaduct that would disgiuse the transition to the backscene.... I think this is a great idea but of course it's Paul's train set...!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 6

Evening all!

Well an excellent afternoon was had by all, i couldnt put the wording any better than Ben has above, so here are a couple more pictures (the viaduct one is behind perspex so apologies for the reflection

Running in 1969's guise!!

post-18903-0-33314100-1425845909_thumb.jpg

The station has a test fitting! Some minor fettling required and a little roof glue too!

Platform edges need some work too...

post-18903-0-40436000-1425845923_thumb.jpg

post-18903-0-50534700-1425846001_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 6

A busy Summer afternoon by the sea. The holiday special to Bristol waits to depart from Platform 1, the pick up goods sits simmering in platform 2 whilst the afternoon up service from Sudleigh is just pulling out of the through platform.

post-18903-0-83089200-1425852272_thumb.jpg

A class 122 sits by the fueling gear waiting its turn of roster on the evening down to Sudleigh.

post-18903-0-75026200-1425852355_thumb.jpg

As you can see a small amount of new stock has been gathered since October ;)

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

The sea is Das clay pressed into rolling "wave" shapes, copying a photo, using my dampened fingers and also the handle of a fine paintbrush to create the wave crests.  Once dry it was painted with emulsion.  The main colour is a sort of blue/grey in a tester tube (£1.50) from Homebase, but I also used a darker colour blended in to create depth.

Once the blue colour was dry I added a coat of Johnson's Klear to make it look wet, then when that was dry I stippled white emulsion along the edge of the clay and around the rocks to represent the foam, and also added small amounts on the crest of the waves, just working it with a dry brush until it looked right, or at least as right as I could manage!

Under the bridge where the River Tor emerges the blue colour was blended with a darker grey/greenn colour, and the surface of he clay was given much finer ripples using the rounded blunt end of a pencil pressed in repeatedly.

Thanks for the kind words.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

Hi David,

The sea is Das clay pressed into rolling "wave" shapes, copying a photo, using my dampened fingers and also the handle of a fine paintbrush to create the wave crests.  Once dry it was painted with emulsion.  The main colour is a sort of blue/grey in a tester tube (£1.50) from Homebase, but I also used a darker colour blended in to create depth.

Once the blue colour was dry I added a coat of Johnson's Klear to make it look wet, then when that was dry I stippled white emulsion along the edge of the clay and around the rocks to represent the foam, and also added small amounts on the crest of the waves, just working it with a dry brush until it looked right, or at least as right as I could manage!

Under the bridge where the River Tor emerges the blue colour was blended with a darker grey/greenn colour, and the surface of he clay was given much finer ripples using the rounded blunt end of a pencil pressed in repeatedly.

Thanks for the kind words.

cheers

Ben A.

I'm going to have to try some of this DAS clay! People seem to be able to work wonders with it, first inset track in cobblestones, now convincing sea. I would have guessed it was a much "wetter" medium such as Artex or the like. I think you've done really well to get the impression of so much movement into a material I would have thought would have been a lot more static.

David

Cant have a coastal layout without the obligatory Pill Box!!

A peedie models version, painted concrete then i blew a load of toner over it... The filler when dry will be painted, grassed and bushed and i'll let Ben work his magic scenic touch on it..

post-18903-0-18561800-1426108956_thumb.jpg

Another crazy photo. Western Frenzie!!

post-18903-0-57549600-1426109064_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 3

Well tonight has been spent giving the layout its first coat of gloss, as well as adding the Viaduct guard rails which have been painted with Tamiya acrylic Iron colouring..

post-18903-0-09170600-1426197231_thumb.jpg

post-18903-0-72739300-1426197252_thumb.jpg

Going to visit East Anglian Exhibition on Saturday in search of station clutter sign boards and GWR fencing!!

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 9

It's Robinson time!!!

Iain has been busy in the background as you all know creating a range of new buildings for the Tormouth Street scene.  Those shown here are for the right hand side of the scenic break... We Have "The Boot" public house, "Loras Plaice" Chippy and the "Tor View hotel"

Hope to have everything in one place and begin final assembly later this month... On another note I have finally made the funicular function correctly without the need of an under board operator (that is another tick off the list and means operators required at shows are now just the two, as opposed to an extra short colleague requirement for under board workings originally ;) )

post-18903-0-10430100-1426600040.jpg

Now toying with the idea of automation by Digitrax....!!

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 7