DERBY Moorways Sports Centre 10 & 11 MAY

Mike Bellamy

Brilliant weekend with some cracking layouts. Thanks to everyone and good luck in the roundhouse next year.

Corris is beautifully modelled and really took my eye, although there was quality in depth all round. Thank you to all who gave us such kind comments about our layouts.

Excellent show.  Dubmill, Netherwood, Kielder Forest and Rumbling Bridge were my standouts, although I'm sure I've missed some.

Will be back next year at the wonderful Roundhouse, which is such a fantastic venue it can't be praised enough.

• RMweb Premium

Went along today and was very impressed. I found it well laid out and the standard of all the layouts was very high. there was a very good showing of N gauge and O gauge as well as 4mm and narrow gauge. The worst I can say was a little too much finger pushing was observed, the worst offender being Netherwood Sidings - Being able to raise/reset the pans by DCC being especially useful when they kept getting stuck down after going under the low bridge...Which is a shame as otherwise the layout was very good.

If you look at the Netherwood topic here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78401-netherwood-sidings/ you will see that Graham has given a very full explanation of the various issues that the layout suffered over the weekend - just pure bad luck and unfortunately unavoidable - and even if the running was a little temperamental at times you can't get away from the fact that it's a great layout with superb modelling.

we had quite a few problems today. It started with a transformer packing up, leading to loss of the -12V part of the power supply and preventing all the points from moving in one direction (the +12V was OK, so they could move that way!). It wasn't helped when I eventually found the problem and connected in a temporary supply the wrong way round, blowing up a ULN2803 chip in the main panel. Luckily we were able to revert to the original control panel configuration of the local panels connected directly to the layout. This meant there were no track circuits, only half the signals, and they had to be manually operated. This was followed by 6 loco failures, varying from collapsed compensation beams in the 47 and 40, brake gear falling off another 47 and getting tangled in the bogie, plus the inevitable broken pans that are a feature of scale OLE on a portable layout. We got on top of the repairs this afternoon and I have just fixed the panel,

Well done to Alex and the team for an excellent show that combined variety and quality with the plus that there were a number of layouts I'd never seen before. Dave T and I had a great weekend and thanks to everyone who stopped by for a look and a chat.

Also nice to make some new acquaintances. Certain members of Define  were trying to get to convert to the dark side for a future project....   we'll see. And thanks to Chris Gilbert for the trackplan amongst other advice. Ideas for getting Drewry up on trestles will be looked into.

Special mention needs to be made of Nick of "Astley" fame for building a replacement fiddle yard on the Sat night. Amazing what you can do with a few bits of timber and BluTak.

Excellent show and fun weekend.

Stu

What can one say about the best show I have visited for quite some time, the layouts were of such a high standard that any of them made the admission fee value for money and the bonus was almost 30 were available to view.

Not only that the owners/operators were without exception willing to answer questions and talk about their layouts. With regard to the traders the mix was excellent and again they were willing to discuss their wares and offer advice. Roll on next year

Hi to all my old Mickleover buddies!

Once again I couldn't make it this year, sorry! Not due to being in Greece for once, but remnants of a very nasty bug I picked up at York, grr, grr, mutter!

Very exited to read of the move to the Roundhouse - if I'm in the country next year, I will endeavour to be there!

Not the first time there has been an exhibition held there, IIRC?

Cheers,

John E.

Once again a superb show ran by a great club.  Sadly, due to worsening health problems, it will be the last for John and I with the N Gauge Society stand.  We have had a fantastic few years at this show and we'd like to thank all at the Mickleover MRG for making these visits so enjoyable!  Many exhibition managers could learn a thing or two from your group, as in how to look after your exhibitors!

During the past 8 years we have exhibited with the stand at many shows, both large and small.  John and I both agree that Derby is the best of them all in the way that they look after their exhibitors, regardless of size of layout or stand.  We have made new friends at every Derby show, this year being no exception.

Once again many thanks to all your members for looking after us so well over the last four or five years.  Good Luck with the move to the Roundhouse.

Pete Chesher MBE & John Bennett (N Gauge Society - North Mini Stand)

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for those kind words which I will pass on to the rest of the organising team and of course the hard working club members - without their help non of it would be possible . . . . . .

Sorry to hear that you are both withdrawing from the rigours of running the Society stand - hopefully the NGS will still be represented at future shows. We all look forward to seeing you back as visitors next time at the Roundhouse.

Regards from all at MMRG

Mike

As an MMRG member my opinion is bound to be biased but I felt this is the best  Derby show I have been to. My personal favourite was The Great Western Railroad, the depiction of the snow was really good and subtly done and I was really impressed with the whole scenic work. Also  I was very envious of his Climax B which ran beautifully, unlike my unmentionable one which has fits of non cooperation due to rackety gears.  

Kielder Forest stirred a lot of memories for me, the screed said they were representing summer 1956 with the line that ran to Hawick in the Scottish borders.  In summer 1956 , when I was serving Her Majesty in the RAOC, I was stationed at Stobs Camp, the stop before Hawick.  Many times did I board that train to go to the dances at the Drill Hall in Hawick, or to go to Newcastleton on odd occasions to see a young lady.  All so very long ago!

I must agree with all the words of praise for the show; I was there on Saturday from before 11am until chucking out time and enjoyed every minute of it! Every layout was worth a leisurely look, everybody was friendly, and my lunchtime cheese roll was the biggest and fattest ever! 

Some more snaps, in tribute to the excellence of the layouts and the readiness of owners and operators to share their knowhow and pleasure in model railways.

post-7286-0-11253800-1399936615_thumb.jpg

post-7286-0-39077800-1399936642_thumb.jpg

post-7286-0-36916800-1399936674_thumb.jpg

post-7286-0-06539300-1399936693_thumb.jpg

post-7286-0-68052900-1399936719_thumb.jpg

post-7286-0-56905100-1399936741_thumb.jpg

post-7286-0-48752900-1399936760_thumb.jpg

post-7286-0-78731300-1399936785_thumb.jpg

post-7286-0-45471100-1400015207_thumb.jpg

post-7286-0-10666000-1401158799_thumb.jpg

post-7286-0-23261000-1399936880_thumb.jpg

Edit to tidy up typing.