DERBY Moorways Sports Centre 10 & 11 MAY

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

I've paid money to other members of the organising committee, (no names no pack drill, but it was a long weekend at Bristol), for the privilege of being invited, in fact I believe some of them have booked their cruise already.

Alex and Paul may think they're in charge of the show (which they are), but I'm in charge of the cheque book . . . . . . :nono:

Through work I have had several trips to Israel, Athens twice, Malaysia twice and Botswana (plus interesting places like Mansfield and Chesterfield) - it gets difficult to explain these overseas trips at Club when collecting the weekly subs . . . . . . . and I have just got both new car and caravan :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Could you give us an idea of what food will be available, please, Mike? 

That'll be me then . . . .

For the first couple of years catering there was a bit hit and miss (more miss than hit to be honest such as a burger bar in the car park shared with an athletics event at the stadium next door) and so the management were persuaded to let us make the arrangements.

We now have a club members' daughter in law who has the necessary food hygiene certificates etc selling filled rolls, sandwiches, sausage rolls, cakes, biscuits, tea, coffee and cans of drink. Unfortunately there are no kitchen facilities and so hot food is not available in the Sports Centre. There was a café for hot food at the swimming pool but that closed a couple of years ago. Shops, pubs, chip shops etc all nearby in Allenton.

Hope that helps

Mike B (and not to be confused with all the other Mikes in this topic)

• RMweb Premium

Alex and Paul may think they're in charge of the show (which they are), but I'm in charge of the cheque book . . . . . . :nono:

Through work I have had several trips to Israel, Athens twice, Malaysia twice and Botswana (plus interesting places like Mansfield and Chesterfield) - it gets difficult to explain these overseas trips at Club when collecting the weekly subs . . . . . . . and I have just got both new car and caravan :jester:

........... And my trip to Nova Scotia as well Mike to keep me out of the way!!!!!!!!!! (I will forward you the bill on Sunday   :jester:)

Nice and sunny here in Halifax NS. Better than setting up electrics at Moorways. Have a good show and hope to see you Sunday.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Steve - I'm sure we'll manage without you just this once! Hope you will be "around" next year (that's another clue about tomorrows announcement)

Visitors from Brighton will be very welcome on Sunday . . . . . . . . . .

Thanks Steve - I'm sure we'll manage without you just this once! Hope you will be "around" next year (that's another clue about tomorrows announcement)

Visitors from Brighton will be very welcome on Sunday . . . . . . . . . .

Providing all visitors from Brighton are heading South feeling very unhappy around about 7.30pm ;-)

Absolutely chucking it down in 'sunny' Scarborough. Weather forecast is terrible for the weekend. I hope it doesn't put people off from coming to the exhibition. Hoping for sunshine between the showers.

Ah well, time to get packing.

Just time for a little visit to the GCR before arriving at Moorways.

Safe journey everyone!

Mike (Mike J, just in case this Mike...Mick...Mickleover thing is getting confusing) 

Mickleover & Four Mikes ... sounds like a Southern Railway Station :)

Showers held off and it was mostly a pleasant late afternoon/evening to unload and set up at the Moorways Centre ... looking good so far and as always the friendliness of all in the Mickleover MRG makes for an enjoyable weekend in the offing :)

• RMweb Premium

Just home after set up - all seemed to go well although we always seem to get a little unexpected problem - this year we arrived to find the Council were refurbishing the bar area and so where we planned to have our catering set up doesn't have any tables and chairs - of course they have plenty in other rooms and so we got it sorted but it will be a bit like 'School Dinners' with long tables and plastic chairs rather than the smaller tables that we have had previously  :scratchhead:

Just a note about parking - in view of the expected rain we may not be able to use the sports field but we have secured the use of hardstanding parking at Rolls Royce next door to the Sports Centre - there will be some of our team outside to direct you.

Although I may be accused of being biased, I think Alex and Paul have put on another exceptional show for us - please come along and see for yourself (quieter on Sunday) :yahoo:

• RMweb Premium

This is a really good show, not just three good gauge 0 (2 with iffy operations at times!) but many other fine layouts, better than the recent Nottingham show in all respects. Hope the move to The Roundhouse next year works well.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Of course going roundy round would be more appropriate for next year's show - - - - - all will be revealed on Saturday . . . !

This is a really good show . . . . Hope the move to The Roundhouse next year works well

Well I gave a couple of clues earlier in the week and visitors can't have failed to notice the number of posters around the place today announcing that next year the Derby Show will be at 'The Roundhouse' once part of Derby works, built in 1839, a listed building and now fully restored as part of Derby College and of course right next to the station on Pride Park.

See this page and then click on the 360' view on the left hand side of your screen to get an idea how impressive this historic railway build is

http://roundhouse-events.co.uk/history.php

The move has been forced onto us by uncertainty regarding the future of Moorways Sports Centre and the Council's refusal to offer us a date for next year as they don't know if the building will still be in use after the end of this year. There is a new multi purpose sports centre being built inside the new Derby Velodrome but as this isn't finished yet we cannot get enough information to tell us size, cost, availability etc and so we had to look for an alternative.

The move to the Roundhouse is a considerable financial commitment for the group but we are determined to continue with the Derby Show and we look forward to welcoming you all as visitors, exhibitors and traders at the Roundhouse next year.

Mike

Ok I may be biased as a recently joined member of the Mickleover club, but I have to say that this was the best show I have been to this year and one of the best Derby shows for sometime. Some outstanding layouts including some real stand out N gauge models. Despite being a 00 gauge man the N gauge ones stood out for me today including "North of England" line.

00 Gauge highlights included Mike Kelly's "North Bridge" which is one of my favourite layouts. The small layout "Astley" was excellent was good to catch up with Andy Peters of this parish who was operating at the time.

Sadly I did not get long enough to view some of the exhibits as my daughter got very tired. I am due to be helping out tomorrow on teas and coffees for exhibitors, looking forward to it.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gordon - some great shots there of just some of the outstanding layouts on display at Derby - open today from 10.00am to 5.00pm and then it's goodbye Moorways and hello Roundhouse !

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Home and unloaded after a most enjoyable weekend, thanks to a friendly and helpful crowd, catering perfectly adequate, layout behaved itself apart from one broken point blade this afternoon and the odd bits of finger pushing, only one of which was seen by Mike B.

Looking forward to the roundhouse next year.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Went along just before lunch and had a good time, nearly opened my mouth when someone leaned across Karen but he possibly felt the death glare and backed off politely. It was a good show but felt slightly disjointed I don't know why, possibly because we started in the annexe bit. The n gauge Bassenhwaite lake took MrsB's eye with a fine selection of trees and also saying how unusual to see so much water on a model!

Corris was also very good and some good O gauge to look at as well, my only regret was finding the P4 L&Y layout so late in the day.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Gordon - some great shots there of just some of the outstanding layouts on display at Derby - open today from 10.00am to 5.00pm and then it's goodbye Moorways and hello Roundhouse !

Mike

Hello Mike!!!

Went along today and was very impressed. I found it well laid out and the standard of all the layouts was very high. there was a very good showing of N gauge and O gauge as well as 4mm and narrow gauge. The worst I can say was a little too much finger pushing was observed, the worst offender being Netherwood Sidings - Being able to raise/reset the pans by DCC being especially useful when they kept getting stuck down after going under the low bridge...Which is a shame as otherwise the layout was very good.

Archived