• RMweb Gold

Not sure yet.  The pike worked fine, was reasonably authentic, yet I just didn't have any love for it.  I am still looking for an emotional connection, but it's proving elusive.

Just think how much N scale you could get on those boards. Long intermodal trains :sungum:

Edited by roundhouse

Just think how much N scale you could get on those boards. Long intermodal trains :sungum:

No no no... think how little O Scale you'd need to fill that space, & get up-close-and-personal with your locos without squinting... :yes: :locomotive:

Oh, hang on... O Scale is getting too popular - prices are going up even on Ebay :O

Forget O Scale - it's rubbish - too big, too expensive - you won't like it at all, honest.... ;) :lol:

I'm not sure that "emotional attachment" describes it - it is more like an idea that skritches and skratches away at the back of the mind, and you eventually have to let it out! This is the reason I'm building New Castle, Florida - which is based on Jack Hills O Gauge trackplan, and very much larger than any I have built previously,  but adapted and modified to suit my space and needs.  I've liked the idea for ages and a layout on Carls site, Victory Tie co, is another that has been nagging away at the back ever since I first saw it - this is a combination of both and I need to build it - even if it doesn't do what I hope for eventually, just to scratch the itch. - I know exactly what Dr G-F is feeling  -  if it isn't right it has to go - I admire people who can build lifetime layouts but I simply couldn't!

Edited by shortliner

Currently, one side of the shed has a fully mocked up Scottish BLT based on Thurso and the other side has a partially mocked up industrial doodah in O scale, on which one of these 

post-238-0-59929500-1434993351.jpeg

would bash 16 tonners and such around.

Neither one is likely to get too far, although I did send off for some 7mm rolling stock kits today.

The problem with my pike was that a 14 foot shed is too short for even a decent industrial switcher - too soon, you arrive at some curves - and so to my eyes it never convinced me.  I may have a look at US O scale, but the same problem - actually worse - is the lack of length (that's what she said)

Tony Koester had it right years ago - if you have to accept lots of curves on model railroad, then build a model of a railroad that has lots of curves, like a coal hauler in a mountainous district.  (look at the kerfuffles he's having fitting in a TTO driven NKP layout, all manner of space enhancing tricks)

Anyway, my 'emotional connection' is a mixture of believing in what I'm looking at and something that is interesting to operate, and interesting to look at when not operating.  My various industrial spurs failed on both counts.  Jack is also right, its an itch that has to be scratched.  Maybe I'm doomed to be a serial builder and demolisher.

For me, the deal breaker for UK outline is, the gauge is wrong (and it looks it, especially chuffers viewed from front on), and the stupid couplers, I couldn't live with anything other than 3 links, and they are ridiculous in 4mm.  I can't even see them!  The pro is, almost always interesting track to look at (somebody, RTR BH points, please) and (particularly in the steam age) lots of operating to do, and interesting peripherals, like semaphore signals and so on.

The minimalist track layouts and zero infrastructure of the modern switcher in the end just became dull.  

We'll see what happens.  I actually quite like looking at bare baseboards - so much potential!  

• Like 1

H0 too small? O too large for the space?

You know what comes next...

And if you fancy what comes next and want to dip your toe in the water, a chap called Des Browne formally of the Belfast caboose, has a stash of S items for sale at very reasonable prices

Colin,

• RMweb Premium

For me, the deal breaker for UK outline is, the gauge is wrong (and it looks it, especially chuffers viewed from front on), and the stupid couplers, I couldn't live with anything other than 3 links, and they are ridiculous in 4mm.

That's exactly why I broke away from UK outline 9 years ago. I love looking at our heritage diesel and steam loco's but I just cant take them seriously with the above mentioned shortcomings .

I spent months and months building EM gauge point work and then waited more months waiting for replacement loco wheelsets to arrive from Ultrascale, NEVER again!

Just came back from a weeks Holiday and spent a day on the West Somerset Railway, the steam loco's were very appealing as I rapidly approach 50 and I love that nostalgia but having thought about the above, any far off dream of a return to UK modelling were quickly put into the "cant be doing with it" box.

So far this week, I laid out a Scottish BLT, and then dismantled it again.  Looking at a B1 and a bunch of wagons made it clear, it's not for me.  

Then I spent a few hours assembling a 7mm Slaters 12T BR van.  Have to say, perhaps it's the mood I've been in this week, but I found the whole experience tedious and irritating.  A lot of fettling to get things to fit, and the end result looks like a garden shed on wheels.

My only solace came from a decent hour or two with the bass, and an hour lying on the shed floor listening to Aerial by Kate Bush.

Bloody hobby.

So far this week, I laid out a Scottish BLT, and then dismantled it again.  Looking at a B1 and a bunch of wagons made it clear, it's not for me.  

Then I spent a few hours assembling a 7mm Slaters 12T BR van.  Have to say, perhaps it's the mood I've been in this week, but I found the whole experience tedious and irritating.  A lot of fettling to get things to fit, and the end result looks like a garden shed on wheels.

My only solace came from a decent hour or two with the bass, and an hour lying on the shed floor listening to Aerial by Kate Bush.

Bloody hobby.

Here are the reasons why the above experiences were not the thrills you anticipated....

Scottish BLT:- What's a "B1"..?? Sounds distinctly Kettle-ish. Conclusion: Wrong Era & Scale (assuming it's 4mm)

Slaters Van:- What you expect?? It IS a garden shed on wheels!! Conclusion: Wrong Country. You should get a nice, fully-finished US-outline O Scale Covered Hopper instead. Similar price and much bigger!!

An hour on the floor with Kate Bush:- can't fault you there; get to the back of the queue..... wibblewibblewibble.....

• Like 1

So far this week, I laid out a Scottish BLT, and then dismantled it again. Looking at a B1 and a bunch of wagons made it clear, it's not for me.

Then I spent a few hours assembling a 7mm Slaters 12T BR van. Have to say, perhaps it's the mood I've been in this week, but I found the whole experience tedious and irritating. A lot of fettling to get things to fit, and the end result looks like a garden shed on wheels.

My only solace came from a decent hour or two with the bass, and an hour lying on the shed floor listening to Aerial by Kate Bush.

Bloody hobby.

Not just a garden shed, a garden shed with two verandas and two patios!

Perhaps you should paint it grey-green and put a figure of a man ripping up track in it...

So what's your idea of "short time" in this context?

Keith

But we are only a short time away from little and cheap robots that could easily couple/uncouple 3 link and screw couplings.

Andy

1-2 years for track or stock mounted gizmos that don't try and look like miniature people. 10-15 for the latter.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone remember that shortline layout on tinterweb somewhere,  rusty CSX geep in a very urban setting in Florida? It had a scrap metal spur and various warehouses and loading docks etc all scratch built by the owner.

Palm tree's also featured I seem to remember.

It was certainly inspirational and may help in this thread to provide some idea's.

Can anyone remember that shortline layout on tinterweb somewhere,  rusty CSX geep in a very urban setting in Florida? It had a scrap metal spur and various warehouses and loading docks etc all scratch built by the owner.

It was certainly inspirational and may help in this thread to provide some idea's.

If you go to youtube and type in small switching layouts you will find it.

it may be this one 

Can anyone remember that shortline layout on tinterweb somewhere, rusty CSX geep in a very urban setting in Florida? It had a scrap metal spur and various warehouses and loading docks etc all scratch built by the owner.

Sounds like Sir Lance Mindheim's (we are not worthy/may his disciples prosper) Downtown Spur to me. ;)

http://lancemindheim.com/?page_id=29

One of several YouTube videos...

Notch8.wmv:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you go to youtube and type in small switching layouts you will find it.

it may be this one 

Very close! :yes:

Sounds like Sir Lance Mindheim's (we are not worthy/may his disciples prosper) Downtown Spur to me. ;)

http://lancemindheim.com/?page_id=29

One of several YouTube videos...

Notch8.wmv:

That's the one I was thinking of!! Ta mate.

Superb modelling. 8)

• RMweb Premium

This- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1449505643/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1535524082&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1453811346&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Y44Q6CQB56EPMAFY3T5 also caught my eye in the last few moments thanks to F-unit's useful memory jogger above.

Im wondering if it would be any use to Dr GF?

Might even get it myself followed by the same author's 'how to build'- http://www.amazon.com/How-To-Build-Switching-Layout/dp/1453811346

Edited by Gary H

This- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1449505643/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1535524082&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1453811346&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Y44Q6CQB56EPMAFY3T5 also caught my eye in the last few moments thanks to F-unit's useful memory jogger above.

Im wondering if it would be any use to Dr GF?

Might even get it myself followed by the same author's 'how to build'- http://www.amazon.com/How-To-Build-Switching-Layout/dp/1453811346

Apart from Lance's "How to design..." & "How to build..." books, the best one he's written (in my opinion) is "How to Operate a Switching Layout". Especially good for those of us Over The Water who can't just pop down to the local Industrial Park to see how it's done.