• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

The spares arrived today.  However I have not been able to get J2 to move.  Somethings wrong somewhere! I've put it back in the box while I have a think.

And change country................

:jester:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

In fact, the nice man from DHL also brought my Br50 that's been MIA for several weeks.  It worked right out of the box and came DCC fitted with a Lenz decoder. It went for a spin round the layout.

I ought to invest in a rolling road as most of my new but old loks could do with a jolly good clean, tune up and running in.

Any suggestions?

Also ideas for diagnosing whether the hanger queen has a short or is electrically dead.  The motor turns when it's out of the chassis and power is applied directly to the terminals.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

In fact, the nice man from DHL also brought my Br50 that's been MIA for several weeks.  It worked right out of the box and came DCC fitted with a Lenz decoder. It went for a spin round the layout.

I ought to invest in a rolling road as most of my new but old loks could do with a jolly good clean, tune up and running in.

Any suggestions?

Also ideas for diagnosing whether the hanger queen has a short or is electrically dead.  The motor turns when it's out of the chassis and power is applied directly to the terminals.

I will suggest the DCC Concepts rolling road.

Regards the ailing lok - if the motor turns, then there is a break  between wheel/pickup/motor somewhere. I know it's an obvious statement, but a systematic check through the wiring should reveal the fault.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Any suggestions?

Like Mick, I use the DCC Concepts rollers and am very pleased with them.

1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

When the motor is out of the chassis, is there a short between the wheels? If not, then you probably have an open circuit somewhere. Again, as Mick says, a few minutes' fun with your multi-meter should tell you what and where.

Another thought - without the motor, does the chassis roll freely when pushed by hand?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did I hear you say 'safety cab'? 

Anyway, this german railways lark is definitely giving me pause for thought on my Minories plans - maybe the limited (ha!) stock requirements for a european Minories would make it easy to wrap a bow around?  I've bounced around from 2FS to Finetrax to Kato Unitrack to Peco 00 to Hornby Dublo to Maldon Tinplate in search of a platform that will just ALLOW ME TO RUN TRAINS FOR GODS SAKE and every. single. one of them. has a bloody problem. Maybe just switching to H0 with reliable, modern european models is the solution.

Maybe shades of Acheaux?

Anyway, looking wonderful as always @Dr Gerbil-Fritters - I would love to see it in person some time. I'll bring the bollinger and the acid jazz, just tell me when and where :) - in the meantime, would it be possible to get a video panorama of what you've got?

All the very best,

• Friendly/supportive 3

26 minutes ago, Lacathedrale said:

Anyway, this german railways lark is definitely giving me pause for thought on my Minories plans -

Keep it quiet, but one of my interests is the Dutch NS railways, after a visit there in 1997 - those Koploppers and Whaleback EMUs, along with the 1600 & 1700 electrics were quite alluring, and I would happily do a Minories in HO or even N to scratch that itch.

Space and cost of models prevent it from being any more than a pipe dream, but I do have a small collection of Dutch layout & prototype articles from the magazines.

It's like I've said before - I think many of us in the UK who look at railways beyond our shores will have interest 'bubbles' for more than one country or prototype, even if circumstances limit what we personally model. :yes: :good:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Agree 2

Somewhere in my collection I am sure I have a Dutch Minories plan.  I'll dig it out. 

I once spent an entertaining day getting 'lost' on the NS between Schipol and Tilburg for a work thing.  This was in about 1995 and I was delighted to find that Tilburg was the Crewe Works of the NS and there was a clear view from the station platforms.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Lacathedrale said:

Did I hear you say 'safety cab'? 

Anyway, this german railways lark is definitely giving me pause for thought on my Minories plans - maybe the limited (ha!) stock requirements for a european Minories would make it easy to wrap a bow around?  I've bounced around from 2FS to Finetrax to Kato Unitrack to Peco 00 to Hornby Dublo to Maldon Tinplate in search of a platform that will just ALLOW ME TO RUN TRAINS FOR GODS SAKE and every. single. one of them. has a bloody problem. Maybe just switching to H0 with reliable, modern european models is the solution.

Maybe shades of Acheaux?

Anyway, looking wonderful as always @Dr Gerbil-Fritters - I would love to see it in person some time. I'll bring the bollinger and the acid jazz, just tell me when and where :) - in the meantime, would it be possible to get a video panorama of what you've got?

All the very best,

See whether this gives you any ideas:

19 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

See whether this gives you any ideas:

Wow, this struck home so much with what I've been thinking about alot recently:
> For years I have wanted a ‘system’ type of layout with a number of stations and wagons are sent to specific destinations – rather than the normal UK one station and a fiddle yard job.

• Agree 1

Thanks, DR G-F!

I’m only too glad to help, having been a tinkerer for so long, one picks up little tricks over the years.

For the benefit of anyone else who has a Roco loco that has been serviced, everything else works fine and you know the motor works, just try turning the motor the other way up!

I had come across this a few years ago by dumb luck and had almost forgotten it until now.

Happy new year everybody,

John.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2