Talyllyn new build

Talyllyn Railway Launches New Build Project

Older News Item »

The Talyllyn Railway are delighted to announce the news that a new locomotive is to be built for use on the Railway. This will mark the first all new locomotive to run on the railway for almost 150 years.

The 0-4-0 tender locomotive has been designed by the railway to incorporate the latest in steam engineering design, as well as adhering to the lengthy modern safety standards required. It will also mark the first time a tender locomotive has worked on the Talyllyn Railway.

Designers have incorporated the most successful features of popular Loco No.2, with a working pressure of 150 psi easily achievable within the new design and a tractive effort of 4300 lbs. The working environment for the loco crews has also been taken into consideration with an open cab to aid ventilation and provide fresh air.

The launch of the new build locomotive is tied in with plans for the 150th anniversary of the Talyllyn Railway in 2015. It is hoped that the news of a new locomotive will inspire visitors to come and visit the railway in 2015; where they can see the progress on the new locomotive firsthand.

A fundraising Appeal will be launched for the new build locomotive once the existing ‘Sir Haydn Appeal’ and ‘Stone Blower Appeal’ have been completed.

Extra Funding for the new build Locomotive will come from the scrap value of Loco No.1 ‘Talyllyn’, which is now life expired after 150 years of service. Several parts of the Fletcher Jennings’ locomotive will be reused as a commitment to recycling. It is hoped the buffers can be reused for a ‘picnic area’ at Pendre Station with the remainder of metals being sent to ‘Welsh Metal Recycling’.

“To build a new locomotive for the 21st century is great news for everyone on the Talyllyn Railway. The frustration of rolling out a 150 year old locomotive for the public can finally be put to rest.” says Mr Price, General Manager.

“I can’t wait to see the new build, and more importantly feel the tractive effort behind the brand new ‘Go Lever’, combining the best bits from our best engine.” He continued.

The new build locomotive will take on the number ‘1’ and the name ‘Talyllyn’ to avoid potential issues in the lucrative market of souvenir nameplates in the Talyllyn Railway shop, and avoid a repaint of the Loco Roster board at Pendre Works.

Plans have also been made to fulfil the commitments for the 150th Birthday of the Fletcher Jennings version of No.1 at a planned birthday on 24th September 2014 on the Talyllyn Railway, and at the Warley National Model Railway Show in November.

“We are hoping to temporarily fix the nameplate ‘Talyllyn’ to our Perkins/Smalley Diesel Powered unit. This should make a unique occasion and fulfil our commitment to those engagements.” Mr Price confirmed.

You can keep up to date with the latest developments on the ‘Talyllyn Railway New No.1 Project’ by following the railways’ Facebook and Twitter sites at www.facebook.com/Talyllyn andwww.twitter.com/TalyllynRailway respectively.

TR-NewNo.1.png

The Design Drawing for the new build No.1 'Talyllyn'
664330_10151303325855450_1661540553_o.jp

Stripping of parts of ex-No.1 continues in Pendre Works

1555872_10154119944450221_2011303713_n.j

Removal of Water Tank
10168360_10154119944465221_380544398_n.j

Cutting up of ex-No.1 begins

The Talyllyn is to replace its No 1 'Talyllyn' with a new tender locomotive, let us see where this project progresses. :jester:  

• RMweb Gold

Mind you the idea was sound.....spark arresting chimney possibly means it was going to be a woodburner in anticipation of the next lot of extreme weather we keep getting promised

• 2 weeks later...

On a serious note. As many of our locomotive are getting rather old it could be said a new build is a better proposal. All parts will be new and will not need repairs or renewal for some time to come,

How many locomotive have had new boilers! and cylinder some have had frame replaced which reminds us if Trigger brush! What it left of the original?

• RMweb Gold

On a serious note. As many of our locomotive are getting rather old it could be said a new build is a better proposal. All parts will be new and will not need repairs or renewal for some time to come,

How many locomotive have had new boilers! and cylinder some have had frame replaced which reminds us if Trigger brush! What it left of the original?

The need for major repairs to/replacement of key components was always part of the steam era. Frames are generally regarded as the "core" of a loco for identification purposes, I think.

I prefer the rebuilt but elderly to the flashy and new. "Tornado" proves plenty of people see it otherwise.

The need for major repairs to/replacement of key components was always part of the steam era. Frames are generally regarded as the "core" of a loco for identification purposes, I think.

I prefer the rebuilt but elderly to the flashy and new. "Tornado" proves plenty of people see it otherwise.

The Ffestiniog's 'new' single Fairlie Taliesin is, I believe, technically a 'heavy rebuild' of the original; it contains, I've been told, only the regulator handle of its predecessor!

And in the case of Prince, I doubt if anything other than perhaps the wheel centres survives of the original England engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived