New 'stuff' from Lanarkshire Models & Supplies

davefrk

Hi all, Now that the website has settled down again I've managed to upload some new loco buffers and a brand new product which I've been hinting about for a few weeks now. Etched Coupling Rods.

The loco buffers are for 4mm scale (before anyone asks). And start with a type that I've only just discovered. Royal Scot locos had normal buffers on the front but fitted with an 18'' head, you can notice these against other locos parked along side. The originals were the early MR/LMS type with a packer between the buffer housing and the beam but with replacements the standard LMS type with the step on top became the norm, all with the 18'' head. One or two locos lost these larger heads for the standard 16'' towards the end. Strange though that the similar Patriots always had the 16'' heads. With some research I've found out that the Fowler 2-6-2 tanks and all the Ivatt 2mt locos had standard LMS buffers with this 18'' head, the tank locos front and rear but the 2-6-0 just on the front with 16'' buffers on the tender. Again one can spot them if you find a 'front on' picture. I've packed them as four 18'' buffers or 2+2 with 18'' and 16'' buffers.

Next the LNER Gresley Spencer Double for the front of Gresley A1/A3, V2, and front and rear of J38/39, a few V1/V3 and a number of other locos and even special wagons. Again packed in fours or 2+2 with the LNER stepped parallel for the tenders.

After those are Midland Railway buffers, pretty standard really, 13'' heads and with the later 16'' head replacements, both with the wood packer.

Lastly, one I've been getting asked for a lot recently. Caledonian Railway buffers. Apparently the ones in the kits are dire... so a loco buffer for Caley engines, original parallel with 13'' heads and the LMS replacement 16'' heads.

And finally, when you've rewheeled your loco with scale wheels. How's about some neat etched coupling rods for the Bachmann 3F/4F, Jubilee, Patriot and other locos needing 8'0''+ 8'6'' wheelbase rods, eg. Crab, 2-6-4 tank, etc. etc. The 3F4F ones are to scale so would suit other inside cylinder locos of the same 8'0''+ 8'6'' wheelbase. The Jubilee/Patriot rods are stretched to match the Bachmann stretched chassis, it's only 1mm but scale rods don't fit. The third type are also 8'0''+ 8'6'' but are for outside cylinder locos with the heavier crankpin bosses, plain or fluted. Designed for 1.5mm crankpin bushes. All the rods can be made up as a correctly jointed rod and even the rivets are supplied. (three, in-case you drop one)! Price £4.95 for the fret, rivets and instructions.

post-10324-0-84702800-1396432901_thumb.jpg

And in close-up on a Jubilee.

post-10324-0-60940100-1396432935.jpg

Hope you like,

Dave Franks.

Designed for 1.5mm crankpin bushes. All the rods can be made up as a correctly jointed rod and even the rivets are supplied. (three, in-case you drop one)! Price £4.95 for the fret, rivets and instructions.

attachicon.gifCR02 Jubilee rods.jpg

And in close-up on a Jubilee.

attachicon.gifCR02 Jubilee rods detail.jpg

Hope you like,

Dave Franks.

Very thoughtful of you to build-in an oilbox cork hole!

The Nim.

• RMweb Gold

Will you be doing a 7'3 x 8'3" rod set in similar vein for the Gresley V2? Knuckle-jointed rods for this class are a bit hard to come by at the moment, as the available sets are jointed on the crankpin instead....

Some people are never satisfied, Dave's got a kitchen to finish as well!

Mike.

Some people are never satisfied, Dave's got a kitchen to finish as well!

Mike.

We're getting there.... If only you people would stop buying stuff.... Belay that order, please keep buying stuff....  :pardon:

Dave.

Will you be doing a 7'3 x 8'3" rod set in similar vein for the Gresley V2? Knuckle-jointed rods for this class are a bit hard to come by at the moment, as the available sets are jointed on the crankpin instead....

Okay,okay, you LNE lot are the bane of my life, bufferstops in all shape and sizes and now you're want'n coupling rods as well.... :superstition:

Right, it's on the list. along with the B1, when I check out the actual model wheel base centres. :superman:

Stop distracting the man with coupling rods and let him get back to buffers. There are loads of pregrouping ones which you can't find any more - GN ones (to go with the MJT axleboxes), GC the same , anything for GE.....

If you want to make more buffers... LNWR wagon buffers? The 3 bolt round ones. I haven't found a source yet, would be nice...

Okay then, any drawings, photos, I think I have photos of an LNWR type from the SRPS museum but a photo of the types wanted would be good to help me research the right ones.....

Regards,

Dave Franks.

Dave

Is there any chance of your most excellent looking WD tender chassis for us humble 00 gauge modellers? I have a number of WDs crying out for a decent tender chassis

Hi Mark, I had thought about that a while ago but it wouldn't have the CSB suspension. The chassis in OO would be 2mm narrower and if springy suspension was fitted, and the tender being top heavy it may be prone to 'wobble'.  The thought I had was for a tender chassis with double beams or a chassis with one fixed axle and springs on the other axles. I may look at this again later this year. I agree that the WD tender from Bachmann and DJH is rather basic.

Dave Franks

Okay then, any drawings, photos, I think I have photos of an LNWR type from the SRPS museum but a photo of the types wanted would be good to help me research the right ones.....

Regards,

Dave Franks.

There's a photo here: http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Wagons/open/Diag002.php

There are also photos and drawings in the LNWR wagon book published by the LNWR society.

diag2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Those buffers look interesting, didn't see any of those when I was over at Bo'ness yesterday. I was measuring and photographing more buffers and something else which has been asked for a number of times and guess what... there were two of the damn things lying on the floor ripe for taking detail pics and they were the two different sizes that I'd been thinking about. Anyone guess what I'm on about????

As always thanks to the SRPS at Bo'ness.

Dave Franks.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, Website updated tonight. Out of stock items are back in stock - BS04 SR Bufferstop with timber beam is a new moulding. Wagon buffer B019 GWR is also a new moulding and the BR oval buffer for 'Duke Of Gloucester' is finally available..... LB11A is a pack with 2 oval and 2 round buffers for the Duke. Pack LB11B is 4 oval buffers for BR Standard and Fairburn 2-6-4 Tank locos and early diesels. LMS Duchess/Princess and Fowler/Stanier 2-6-4 tanks had a different shape of oval buffer head which I may do later.

• 2 weeks later...

Stop distracting the man with coupling rods and let him get back to buffers. There are loads of pregrouping ones which you can't find any more - GN ones (to go with the MJT axleboxes), GC the same , anything for GE.....

Don't start me on GE....Hornby J15 set? D16/3 set? Anything....?? It's OK, I'm a GER modeller, David. I am used to making things myself...but I draw the line at buffers...!

Best,

Marcus

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, a load of stuff has been added to the website this morning. First is a new track cleaner kit designed to fit a more modern wagon than the LMS guards van.

post-10324-0-68366900-1405521558.jpg

Although fitted to this MTA by Craig Porteous, the chassis of this wagon is also used on a number of other Bachmann wagons so the choice is yours and with a little ingenuity could also be made to fit other wagon types with the similar wheelbase.

The original track cleaner got a Highly Commended in the recent track cleaner tests by Model Rail Magazine. This latest version uses the same plastic coated roller and cleaning cloths. Retailing at £24.95  or £31.95  (+P&P)  for a pre-assembled one ready to fit your own wagon.

post-10324-0-56998100-1405522339.jpg

Our range of coupling rods has been extended to nine types with three more almost ready to go to the etchers.

CR04 are rods for the modern Hornby BR 4-6-2 locomotives - Clan, Britannia and Duke. They also happen to be dead scale so could be used on kit built locos.

CR05 for BR Standard 5 Locos, Both these BR rods feature the large bosses and tall oil reservoirs, fits Bachmann and scale locos  

CR06 for LMS Class 5 4-6-0 with standard wheelbase, fits Hornby and scale locos.

CR07 for LMS Class 5 4-6-0 with stretched Ivatt wheelbase, fits Hornby and scale locos, (please check as Hornby does both wheelbases).

CR08 for LMS and BR 4MT and BR 3MT locos, 2-6-0 and 2-6-2T, Fairburn and Standard 2-6-4T, fits Bachmann and scale locos

CR09 Universal. Can be made up for most other outside cylinder locos up to  9'0''+9'0'' centres. 

These rods are designed to be used when fitting scale wheels on locos and fit the standard 1.5mm x 1.3mm crank pins.

All rods can be made up as rigid or correctly articulated with a nickel silver rivet which is included.

Other rods being worked on include  Ivatt/BR 2MT, WD 2-8-0, LMS 8F 2-8-0. These are still to be test built.

And, did I tell you about the BR oval buffers for the front of the 'Duke of Gloucester' which also were fitted to 2-6-4 tanks and early diesels.

All the best.

Dave Franks.

Thanks for the universal coupling rods, Dave, that's a great help, especially as they've got the correct joint on the knuckle and not the crank pin. Out comes the wallet...............

Phil

Hi Phil, that's exactly why I've done this exercise, I wasn't happy with the rods that were available. Having the articulation on the middle crankpin introduces more slop into the set-up and if one drives the loco on the rear axle, which is often the case these days, it can cause uneven running over just a short time as the single thickness rods wear and the slop becomes worse. I'd run out of the old MRJ valvegear etches which I had used for years and in any case none of the pieces were suitable for the locos I had left to do e.g. 4F, BR standards etc.

Thanks for your vote of confidence.

Dave Franks.

Archived