• RMweb Premium

When I was still doing things with 'O' gauge I converted all my rolling stock over to the Leeds coupling.  It works well and it has a good appearance matching nicely with both my tinplate and my ancient kitbuilt wooden rolling stock.

Finished replacing the couplings, definitely an improvement (or at least I think it is). A useful bonus of the LMC couplings is that the coupling hook does not protrude beyond the buffers so it is safe to use them with stock fitted with 3-link couplings. Once again, apologies for the terrible photography.

IMG_0104.JPG.3a9e6afc4aa97455d30c94455a1f39f4.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

• Like 6

And, you seem to have fallen for Sentinels the way others before you fell for Terriers.

So far, I've not been able to devise an even half-decent excuse to add one to the fleet, largely because the SR didn't, so far as I can discover, ever own any.

11 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

And, you seem to have fallen for Sentinels the way others before you fell for Terriers.

So far, I've not been able to devise an even half-decent excuse to add one to the fleet, largely because the SR didn't, so far as I can discover, ever own any.

It would be cruel to only have one, the poor thing would get lonely.

• Funny 2

Last week some Dutch HRCA members came to run their coarse scale trains in my garden. The first one was the Sentinel and the question arose: what is the front of the locomotive? Is the Sentinel in the beginning of the video running forward?

Regards

Fred

• Like 5

4 hours ago, sncf231e said:

Last week some Dutch HRCA members came to run their coarse scale trains in my garden. The first one was the Sentinel and the question arose: what is the front of the locomotive? Is the Sentinel in the beginning of the video running forward? 

Great video.

That is something I have pondered. With the funnel at the front, and the bunker / water tank at the back, I would say yes it is running forward. I would be interested to know if anybody has the definitive answer to this.

Some indication might come from the orientation of the locomotive in Sentinel works drawings.

They drew the earlier type, the ones with a more obviously steam locomotive shape and layout, with the cab to the left of the drawing, and the cylinders to the right. I take this to be a locomotive facing to the right.

They drew the ones under discussion with the bunker to the left of the page, and the boiler and funnel (their word) to the right. My surmise is that they regarded this to be a locomotive facing to the right also.

On this basis, the ‘front’ is the chimney end, and the rear the bunker end.

But, of course, the LNER may have thought differently!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 1

I went for the War Department one, which I will run with a couple of WD wagons (a bogie bolster and a tank wagon) from WJ Vintage.

She ran between Tidworth Camp and Tidworth on the M&SWJR. Not a million miles from there to Andover on the Southern.

Perhaps you can convince yourself she might have been used at an army depot near Birlstone...

Gordon

Yes, I wondered about that, and I even found some very good photos of the real one for Mr WJV to peruse when he was considering how to have it finished by ETS, although he actually decided on a probable later livery, because it didn't look identifiably military in 'as delivered' condition.

Up to now, I've airbrushed all things related to warfare out of history on my layout, but that is about to change, with the imminent arrival of a very definitely military loco of a different kind.

I am interested into these smaller couplers and wonder whether it is possible to fit them to my continental ETS stock.

But where to order from?

Some of my tinplate trains, all from ETS;

I found one more box of old photos:

pfh004562wnkzg.jpg

pfh004572ipjdr.jpg

pfh00458myjxn.jpg

pfh004592ljsk.jpg

pfh00461wxjgs.jpg

pfh00464fcjcn.jpg

pfh004659vjzw.jpg

pfh004602zwkoq.jpg

ThomasW

• Like 8

I don’t have any template, but I do have a collection of 60s, 70s and 80s Atlas, Rivarossi and Lionel. Looking at various items I have in my collection, the wheel flanges vary considerably, with Lionel being the most “coarse scale”. 

How do the Atlas and Rivarossi track sections compare? It looks to me from the flanges, that they are similar. Does anyone know for certain? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/09/2019 at 17:00, ThomasW said:

I am interested into these smaller couplers and wonder whether it is possible to fit them to my continental ETS stock.

But where to order from?

Unfortunately LMC couplings cannot be used as a direct replacement for the original ETS couplings. To fit them would either require a slot cutting in the buffer beam, or somehow modifying the LMC coupling.

• Like 1

Thank you. I was aiming somewhere between semi-realistic and toy-like.

I do like the Tintin vehicles, and already have a couple, including the Lancia with someone spreadeagled on the bonnet. It gets a lot of comments. I was amazed at one show, when a young girl recognized them and knew which stories they came from.

Gordon

44 minutes ago, GRASinBothell said:

Yes indeed. The opium truck from the Blue Lotus.

A birthday gift to be used with my (largely) French Hornby/JeP modules that I take to local train shows, but temporarily decorating my home layout, until I have to pack it up to take to the next show. Hmm... Less than a week to go for that!

Gordon

Hi Gordon, which one is that?

Brian.