Which lamp irons for GW tanks?

I'm currently distressing plastic in the shape of an Airfix 14xx to bring it to a standard of detail. Generally I'm following Ian Rice's guidance (MRJ 1) but have noticed that whereas Iain made his own lamp irons, there are now several etches available.

So, from Scale Link, MJT (Dart Castings) or Mainly Trains (there may be others) which one should I be choosing?

You should add Masokits to the list. If it were my engine, these are the ones I'd choose ( I have a few of these etches in stock). Mike only does snail mail. I'd avoid the Mainly Trains etches as these are definitely over scale.

I believe a current price list is downloadable from the Scalefour website under traders.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

If you want an extremely economical method get a packet of the finer gauge straight florists wire - comes in packs of numerous lengths about 6 inches long.  This is smashing stuff to work as it is soft iron and is simple to hammer flat on an anvil but because it is round you can put bends into it in and direction as you go and thus make bunker back irons.  The other advantage is that, again because it is round, you simply drill a hole of about the same diameter the make a fixing point on the loco body.  And it can be used as it comes to make those protective bars on the back of GW tank engine cabs.

All quite solid once beaten flat and trimmed to length.

Another vote for Masokits. To scale while being more or less bomb proof. They told up with a pin for mounting and a double laminate for strength. So long as you read Mike Clarke's instructions on how to order and can find your chequebook there are none better.

Adam

By way of a PS, I;ve found a clear shot of a vehicle fitted with the Masokits irons, a tender for a Standard 4 (the loco bit is very much a work in progress though the tender is complete).

post-256-0-92075400-1397567332.gif

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Got to agree about the Masokits recommendations, John, although it's equally possible to fabricate your own using 0.75mm brass strip from Eileens. It's not that difficult to bend and solder them up, with a bit of 0.5mm wire added, so that you can drill a small hole in the back of your 14XX bunker and glue them in that way.

Archived