If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Lima Diesels .. Yes or No?

Dannyboy2891

• RMweb Premium

Well I have a mix of manufacturers but I am not dumping my old Lima stuff.

The DMU is still sought after for turning into better models, I have recently made 3 sets from Lima vehicles, a 116, a 117 and a 118, I have another 116 to do and my original 117 needs a detail.

None of these are possible out of the box as Lima made a power car with indeterminate headcode boxes and no DMS, and the trailer dimensions are 1/2mm out per compartment which makes the toilet 4.5mm too short. I bought some DMS conversion panels from DC kits.

I am tempted to do a 115

I am starting on a full rebuild of the mark 2 coaches which will be an interesting challenge.

The mark 1s and 2Fs are OK if peanuts.

I personally prefer the Lima class 31 to the Hornby offering (not the railroad).

This afternoon I have been working on a Lima 31 that must be well over 20 years old.

It was long ago converted to EM using an Ultrascale wheel set.

It now has a new motor and is back to 00.

Needs flush glazing and the printed on wipers changed for Shawplan, some new pipes on the buffer beams and some new disks.

The basic shape is pretty good which renders the exercise worth the effort.

There is a 40 in the pending box that needs a similar job and that is also superior to all but Bachmann's latest incarnation.

Bernard

Just come on this thread and offer the fact that when I was exhibiting regularly I ran a couple of Lima locos converted to P4 (original wheels turned down and Gibson coach wheel tyres pressed on) using the original motor etc. and they ran fine.  However, they were well run in on a continuous layout and well lubed - and I haven't run them for a few years now so I hope they still do run OK!

Here's a photo of the Cl 37, heavily detailed as we used to do in the days before the 'modern' models appeared!

post-807-0-90687100-1400785464.jpg

As I never had many Lima diesels, the majority of my stock is newer Bachmann, Hornby and Heljan models.  The only Lima models I ever owned was a single class 08, a couple of class 47's and about 8 class 73's.

Running DCC, I found the Lima mechanisms to be less than stellar, as has been covered before, and they were quickly retired to the display shelf as I just did'nt (and still don't!) have the time to fuss about with them.  I could never bring myself to get rid of them however, as I have always been very intentional with my locomotive purchases.  Being on a budget, there have been many models that I would have liked to have, but if they did not fit into my era and region, I could never justify the extra cost when there was something else that I could use more accuracy. 

More recently however, I have started to outfit my old Lima 47's with ViTrain chassis that I've been able to pickup for cheap, and the 73's with the newer Hornby chassis.  This way I have been able to have the best of both worlds!  My favorite locomotives powered by a new, modern and powerful mechanism... well... the 47's anyway... lol 

I've since sold off, or will be selling off, the Lima chassis and corresponding ViTrain / Hornby bodies as they don't fit with what I'm modelling.  They don't sell for much, but it does help to cover the costs of the upgraded chassis.

Archived