If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Lima Diesels .. Yes or No?

Dannyboy2891

Just picked up three more Lima 31's at the Stowmarket show. One was DCC fitted, which took about two minutes to remove with a soldering iron. All three went on the rolling road and performed perfectly.

Hi Baby Deltic,

It's always good to hear that great Lima bargains are still out there, and I take my hat off to you for buying them :thankyou: Are they for anything specific or could this be for a new project?.

Cheers  :good: 

Dan  

Lima class 33 at Corfe Viaduct layout at 21:05 at the Isle of Purbeck Model Railway Group meeting at Furzebrook Village Hall. This locomotive is about 40 years old and has received some rough treatment when operating on the Swanage Railway layout at Swanage Station in the 1970s. It still runs well on my layout which is a simple 8' x 4' oval with 19" curves and 17" points. I started renumbering it to represent a Swanage Railway locomotive but never got round to finishing it. I took some other Lima locomotives to the meeting. They ran well but the couplings were at a different height and not compatible with the new Bachmann coaches. It is the sort of engine that you can run at exhibitions without worrying about derailments or about getting damaged or stolen because it is cheap to replace. Lima also made an excellent 0 gauge class 33 which brought 0 gauge within reach of the masses.

post-17621-0-98548200-1398937035_thumb.jpg

Hi Baby Deltic,

May I just ask (as a newbie diesel modeller) what is GSYP and GFYE?. Do you have your exhibition layout on here?.

Many Thanks :thankyou:   

Green Small Yellow Panel and Green Full Yellow End

See the link in my signature below for my exhibition layout.

I attach a picture of my Lima diesel shunter.  This was considerably more realistic than the Hornby shunter when it was made. I have had my model for about 28 years. It cost about £7 when I bought it at Qainton Road. I have subsequently repainted it and renumbered it to look like one on the Swanage Railway. I tested it last night with a number of other diesels and found it would pull 15 Lima coaches. This is the same as other contemporary Mainline and Hornby Diesels.

post-17621-0-32964300-1399153881_thumb.jpg

Lima models are good for basic detailing and can be much cheaper than newer Bachmann and Hornby releases. As already mentioned the 31 is one of their best, and to me their 92. However both mechanisms on my examples have all been replaced as the Lima pancake itself is bit too noisy, and doesn't have the pulling power as newer centrally mounted drive mechanisms. A typical example/s are of 47816 (£35) and 47628 (£42) both are ok in detail, and the only major think IMHO is the lip below the windscreens is a bit too curved, resulting in the "sad face" look. A bit of sanding down and the front lip is now more subtle, and for the chunky looking cab side windows, Shawplan do replacements [of which I must remind myself to get at some point!]. For the 47 in particular James Wells has put up on his blog on his website and on here about his work with the 47, and repowering the 31.

NL

A Lima Class 20 would only pull eight Lima coaches but this would be adequate for most layouts.  The Lima class 20 went into production in 1984 but the black Waterman version appeared in 1996. I bought it a few years later at Pecorama where it looked like it had remained in their display cabinet for a long time at the full recommended retail price.

post-17621-0-04202300-1399188997_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys :good: 

Thanks for all your kind comments and advice. It has been quite a pleasure talking with you and sharing all those bargain stories and all those revamp projects.

I have recently decided to shelve the idea of doing a Tmd layout as .. due to working for the local cooperative our business is suffering quite a bit .. and the threat of being redundant is a possibility :sadclear: 

So these are fragile times for me over the coming weeks.

Instead I have decided to commit to building a micro/small steam/diesel operated layout "Cove Abbey" (which I have started a new thread in the micro and boxfile forum). Cove Abbey is a very simple layout to which I can satisfy my shunting and modelling needs track plans are included.

All the best with your projects guys and I hope to one day soon I shall be back with my new ventures in Diesel modelling once more. 

Best Wishes & Kind Regards

Dan

A Lima Class 20 would only pull eight Lima coaches but this would be adequate for most layouts.  The Lima class 20 went into production in 1984 but the black Waterman version appeared in 1996. I bought it a few years later at Pecorama where it looked like it had remained in their display cabinet for a long time at the full recommended retail price.

Hi Robin,

That is quite an impressive class 20 in the Pete waterman livery .. did you buy it or did you take a picture as they were still running it at Peco?. If you did buy it then fair play to you and I hope your enjoying running it at home ..  

Many Thanks

Dan

I have a large fleet of Lima locos most of which have been sitting in their boxes for years. A few I have re-motored the new armatures from Inter City Models and these run better. I fitted a DCC chip to Lima Class 20 and it does not work well at all and this put move off doing this to any more Lima locos plus I also use Code75track now so re wheeling will be required so not worth doing really.

XF

Reading through lots of the Bachmann Price Rise Thread I can see Lima diesels should be starting to go Up in value as people realise that they can be made to look very good with a small amount of the modelling thing :)

Hi Mickey,

Thanks for your post.. and a very interesting point to all lima fans out there. It would seem that both Bachmann and Hornby are suffering from the ever increasing demands from Chinese manufacturing and wage demands too ... Guess who picks up the tab for those increases - that's us the customers. I think its about time Bachmann and Hornby said enough is enough to the Chinese demands and brought the manufacturing back to Europe or Better the uk.

I know by that statement I am placing myself at risk and I Truly mean No offence by it whatsoever. but I am sure I am not the only modeller out there who thinks this??.

Cheers and Best Wishes

Dan

• RMweb Premium

I can't really add much more to the information already given, I've had the same experience with my Lima locos, some of which are excellent runners, right down to a reasonably slow speed, and others are appalling, yet sometimes this seems to have little to do with luck - no matter how clean the wheels, how well adjusted the pick-ups, some just always seem better than others.  If I were doing a purely depot layout, I'm not sure I'd rely on an entire fleet of Lima locos - as has been said already, for slow speed, you can't beat modern models, the Hornby 60 being the one I'm most impressed with so far, though by no means the only one. 

I'd certainly agree with the advice above, make sure they're well serviced and maintained, and keep your track as clean as possible.  A final thought - how about using some Lima locos as dummy locos, running with more modern ones if your budget allows?  Something like a Bachmann 25 (not something I've looked for but someone mentioned they're available quite cheaply) and a Lima 47?  Obviously, the two don't have to be multiple working compatible, just one hauling another to/from the shed.  Its easy to convert a Lima loco into a dummy and still have it in a state where it can be made to run again, I have a couple on which I've just removed the gears between the motor and each drive wheel, and de-soldered the wire(s) from the trailing bogie, taping the wires and gears to the chassis inside for safe keeping.

• RMweb Premium

I think it depends on your budget and how much detail you want, a secondary question being are you up for providing high detail by applying your own modelling skills? If you are on a budget and either don't mind the models having a good shape but basic details or are happy to put the effort in to make a Lima model better then buying s/h Lima is a very good option. They may be basic but the shape was generally good and they can be detailed up to look superb. On the other hand if you want a super detailed model out of the box which will also have a better mechanism then you're better off buying the newer models from Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan. They'll cost a lot more but they are a lot nicer out of the box and do run better IMO. Ultimately the best thing to do is look at the types you want and compare the old Lima models with modern equivalents, if you're happy with the Lima models or like the idea of super detailing projects then go with Lima, otherwise buy new. This will be your layout so if you are happy with Lima models then that is all that really matters, on the other hand if you feel that you'd be happier with more modern models then I'd go that route, it'll be more expensive but if you're happy with the models then there is the old "buy once and buy right" argument that it'll be cheaper in the long run.

At the Corfe Viaduct trials last Friday the best performer was a Heljan Class 47 which could easily haul 15 Lima coaches and 4 Lima tank wagons. We ran out of space on the 8' x 4' layout. The motor was much quieter than the Lima diesels. The ability of Lima diesels to haul between 8 and 15 coaches is more than adequate for most layouts.

post-17621-0-83534600-1399227814_thumb.jpg

It's so easy today to forget what a revelation Lima (and Palitoy/Mainline and Airfix) were when then appeared on the scene in the late 1970s. Such a change from the plain diet that Tri-ang Hornby were providing at the time. The Cl.08 was light years ahead of the Tri-ang version; its outside cranks and smooth running were a delight.

post-6880-0-70064300-1399229356.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys :good: 

Thanks for all your kind comments and advice. It has been quite a pleasure talking with you and sharing all those bargain stories and all those revamp projects.

I have recently decided to shelve the idea of doing a Tmd layout as .. due to working for the local cooperative our business is suffering quite a bit .. and the threat of being redundant is a possibility :sadclear: 

So these are fragile times for me over the coming weeks.

Instead I have decided to commit to building a micro/small steam/diesel operated layout "Cove Abbey" (which I have started a new thread in the micro and boxfile forum). Cove Abbey is a very simple layout to which I can satisfy my shunting and modelling needs track plans are included.

All the best with your projects guys and I hope to one day soon I shall be back with my new ventures in Diesel modelling once more. 

Best Wishes & Kind Regards

Dan

Hi DannyBoy, although I'm in Canada, I've read about this on the news. I hope that the organisation gets sorted and that your situation turns around.

Good luck

Jason

Hi DannyBoy, although I'm in Canada, I've read about this on the news. I hope that the organisation gets sorted and that your situation turns around.

Good luck

Jason

Hi Jason :good: 

Yeh tough times ahead, but just got to hang in there I guess - going to keep smiling and working hard, Real horrid part is both me and my missus work in the store .. so potentially it could be both of us for the chop.

Just hope all our good years of faithful service count for something. Thanks buddy Appreciate the good luck :thankyou: 

Kind Regards

Dan :good:   

It's so easy today to forget what a revelation Lima (and Palitoy/Mainline and Airfix) were when then appeared on the scene in the late 1970s. Such a change from the plain diet that Tri-ang Hornby were providing at the time. The Cl.08 was light years ahead of the Tri-ang version; its outside cranks and smooth running were a delight.

Hi Western Sunset

What a Superb picture, Great to see a hard working gronk :locomotive: 

Awesome Thank you :good: 

Best Wishes

Dan

At the Corfe Viaduct trials last Friday the best performer was a Heljan Class 47 which could easily haul 15 Lima coaches and 4 Lima tank wagons. We ran out of space on the 8' x 4' layout. The motor was much quieter than the Lima diesels. The ability of Lima diesels to haul between 8 and 15 coaches is more than adequate for most layouts.

Hi Robin :good: 

That is a fine layout you have of the Swanage viaduct .. Must admit that the Swanage is a firm favourite of mine as well as my local on island preserved line. Have you modelled any of the stations for prototype running .. some real cracking stations with plenty of potential??. Congrats on your class 20 .. Fair play to you :locomotive: 

Kind Regards

Dan :thankyou:   

I have a large fleet of Lima locos most of which have been sitting in their boxes for years. A few I have re-motored the new armatures from Inter City Models and these run better. I fitted a DCC chip to Lima Class 20 and it does not work well at all and this put move off doing this to any more Lima locos plus I also use Code75track now so re wheeling will be required so not worth doing really.

XF

I wouldn't be too sure about needing re-wheeling. There are conflicting views on this and I suspect this may be determined by whose Code 75 track you use - mine is Peco and I've had no problem with my Lima locos. Suggest you try it and see before making the judgement.

John.

Hi Mickey,

Thanks for your post.. and a very interesting point to all lima fans out there. It would seem that both Bachmann and Hornby are suffering from the ever increasing demands from Chinese manufacturing and wage demands too ... Guess who picks up the tab for those increases - that's us the customers. I think its about time Bachmann and Hornby said enough is enough to the Chinese demands and brought the manufacturing back to Europe or Better the uk.

I know by that statement I am placing myself at risk and I Truly mean No offence by it whatsoever. but I am sure I am not the only modeller out there who thinks this??.

Cheers and Best Wishes

Dan

Hi Dan,

Whilst I'm sure many would love to see this happen and share your sentiments, I'd suggest you read the summary and analysis of Bachmann's statement by Andy (the moderator) to understand why it simply doesn't fly.

John, my snaps at www.flickr.com/photos/51265696@N03

Archived