If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Lima Diesels .. Yes or No?

Dannyboy2891

Maybe horses for courses here...

Personally i'd much prefer to spend my money on one loco with a nice mech, than spend about the same on 3 old Lima or Hornby examples with poor mechs.

I agree they can be detailed, re-meched, or whatever...I also agree that in some (but definately not all) circumstances the old shells are better scale models than the modern equivalent. But just be careful that by the time you've done all that work you haven't ended up with something that's cost you just as much as a modern loco in parts, but is still not a patch on it operationally!

FWIW - Being a British modern image modeller in the late 80s/early 90s and being frustrated with Lima's inability to build a decent mech **inability to provide their quality mechanisms to the UK market is the reason I'm now a contented modeller of North American trains!

YMMV - and all that.

(**edit for accuracy)

I've got a couple of Lima diesels, and once converted to EM gauge with Ultrascale conversions and added pick ups so all wheels collect current, they run very well and generally look good too (as these pictures show)

Phil

post-5925-0-09472000-1397645717_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-81528000-1397645717_thumb.jpg

Good luck with your layout and as many have pointed out Lima models can be good runners.

However don't dismiss Bachmann as being expensive. I have bought several Bachmann class 20's and 25's on ebay for less than £35 within the last 18 months or so!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Cheers for your post, I think with all the positive comments I have received over past couple of days I am going ahead with what I had originally planned. Thanks for the insight on the Bachmann bargains to which you were able to get .. maybe burning the midnite oil to get those??. But in fairness if I am able to get the more luxury models .. then I sure will :good: 

Many Thanks

Dan

I've just remembered there was a review some years back of a replacement motor, made in Australia I think, for Lima models.  I gather it was extremely simple to fit - remove commutator (and magnet, or maybe not?) and slot in the new motor. Maybe this is the model torque motor that Black Rat is referring to?  

Hi Steve22,

Thanks for your post about replacement motors .. will surely look into that, always handy to have few spares :good: 

Best wishes

Dan

Others have said on here that the motors are basic. Well yes they are compaired with modern models. However they are reliable motors. Most of my lima locos had not run in years due to the lack of a layout. I took them down to my model railway club and gave them a run most of them ran without any problem the rest just needed the wheels cleaned and a little oil.

They will benefit from detailing and flush glazing but they are great models I will be keeping all of mine.

Hi Darrel,

Cheers for your post, must agree that before I started this blog my diesels have been in storage .. much like you I took them up to my club and after a light service and a little running time .. they were running sweetly. I am all for learning the detailing aspects and in time will hope to be as up to date or modelling at a good level.

Many Thanks

Dan

Lima yes or no?

Yes for their reliability as already stated. Yes for the models themsleves, despite their age they look good. Yes for their haulage. 

No for some of the silly secondhand prices some dealers are asking. For a few quid more you can pick up Bachmann locos that are better all round.

I must agree with certain dealers at exhibitions are charging a little above what the stock is actually worth .. Thank goodness for ebay or classifieds :good:

Great post cheers :thankyou:

When I returned to the hobby I had a few Lima locos from my early days. I weighed up the pros and cons and my decision was that I was better off selling the Lima stock and starting again. In my case (with the added expense of EM conversion) the rewheel, re-motor, detail and re-paint costs meant it didn't make sense to use the old Lima stuff.

Personally if slow running is important to you, I would go for something from the current crop of RTR locos instead. Depending on what you are looking for you can pick up Bachmann class 20s and 25s (for example) for less than £50. I'd go down that route but settle on having fewer locos if cost is an issue.

When I returned to the hobby I had a few Lima locos from my early days. I weighed up the pros and cons and my decision was that I was better off selling the Lima stock and starting again. In my case (with the added expense of EM conversion) the rewheel, re-motor, detail and re-paint costs meant it didn't make sense to use the old Lima stuff.

Personally if slow running is important to you, I would go for something from the current crop of RTR locos instead. Depending on what you are looking for you can pick up Bachmann class 20s and 25s (for example) for less than £50. I'd go down that route but settle on having fewer locos if cost is an issue.

Hi Mark,

Cheers for your post and it's great hear about other modellers experiences :good:  Certainly food for thought in what your saying, I do like the EM gauge and its always very well received whenever or wherever its on exhibition, must say that its a bit to far out of my reach and my modelling is Not that advanced.. maybe one day when kids left home .. or not so much family commitment. 

What I am hoping to achieve is just to build a Tmd at home and enjoy it, then maybe share it .. if I am happy to on here or at exhibitions .. My overall aspect is to show that Dc operations are still around and should not be hidden away because of the all the other Dcc or Dcc sound modern layouts out there. I mean No offence what so ever to dcc modellers or sound layouts .. as they do deserve all due credit.

But why should analogue/Dc operated layouts be a thing of the past??

Many Thanks

Dan  

Hiya Guys,

Just wanted to take this opportunity to say a HUGE Thank You to you all for all your kind comments and advice, I have tried to reply to you all as I do believe its good manners and as my folks (like yours) Always said "Manners don't cost anything". If I have missed anybody then I am Very sorry and will try harder in the future.

So what is next for me ..?. Well after digesting all the info provided by your kind selves I am going to go ahead with the Tmd modelled with Lima diesels running on it, but as a few have mentioned that Bachmann bargains are out there, so in future and cash permitting then Bachmann loco's will be features also. I have also been slowly converted by all the positive comments regarding the fondness for the dmu's .. so I have now acquired two second hand Network southeast dmu units this evening (one being a 2 car unit and the 2nd being a three car unit) both look great although both would benefit from a good service and populating, but getting both dmu's for £40 that's well worth a dabble   :imsohappy:  

Which now changes my overall plan on my layout, instead of just having a portable layout to house my Tmd .. I am now with consent from My Wonderful partner going to build a continuous loop around the garage we have (Though the cost for that deed is a hefty to do list around the house). But nevertheless it is worth the list for my overall gain. So now decided that a smallish station on one side of the layout and on another side will feature a slightly bigger Tmd than originally planned.. Bonus. which then leaves just one more small side for something else.. all in good time I guess?.

Anyways back on point, I would still be Very Much Greatful for any further modelling advice or suggestions/input?.  Now off to watch a few feeds I was messaged to checkout on youtube regarding diesel modelling 1. Glebe Road Junction

2. Everard Junction 

3. Dean Park Station.

Once again Thanks to you all and I hope to talk to you all again  soon :good: 

Kind Regards

Dan 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've got one of two Lima locos, but myself having a large fleet of the most recent and new stock - I like to detail mine so they fit in. To say the least it does take allot of time, work and effort but after all that's what the hobby is all about and I believe it's worth it. I've always had a slight belief that taking it out the pack and plonking it on the track is not railway modelling... in my opinion.

More a picky thing myself, sort of look around the given model and think well it doesn't have one of those or this, that or the other etc... things that the prototype has and the subject doesn't. Working on the prototype I tend to notice the things that are missing.
Keeps me occupied for a few hours/evenings/days/weeks.

Allot of the ones I have done have had their mechanisms improved in some way or completely replaced with something more modern.

Lima Class 121 DMU:

1392426_569200399795500_298383838_n.jpg

1392097_569200346462172_1832919002_n.jpg

Lima Class 37 in this case 37207 William Cookworthy.

993966_544854068896800_1598149358_n.jpg

Lima Class 117

252300_512359412146266_1563851038_n.jpg

I've also got a Lima 50149 which I'm about half way through. My first loco was a Lima BR blue Class 31 (with grey roof) one day maybe I'll spruce that one up too!

But Lima diesel locos are still pretty good in my opinion, nice and cheap too! On a down note, I wouldn't bother doing a 37 again though - Bachmann engine is much nicer. But the 31, 50 and all the DMUs will always have a place in my stock box as they look good along side the modern offerings in my fleet :)

Cheers, Reece

Hi Danny, I am echoing a lot of previous posts and the previous one by Reece, the Lima DMU's are a good base model for detailing, yes I have the Bachmann 105, 108's etc and the Heljan 128's, but when handling the Lima / Hornby items the underslung bits don't come off if you handle them a bit clumsily.....it's ok having all this super detailing, that is until the sausage fingers start bumbling around...like many us on here have.

Go for it get yourself a couple of models, and have some "proper modelling" fun and satisfaction in doing some modelling, converting & detailing as well.

Happy Modelling

Craig.

May I ask what you model and do you have any pics?.

Many Thanks

Dan :good:

Your welcome!

After being in the hobby for 30+ years I have a motley collection of stuff, both UK OO gauge and North American HO gauge. However I prefer to model rail blue and VIA Rail Canada.  I am currently in the process of photographing my models but as most of it is currently several thousand miles away its going to take some time!

I can only echo the sentiments of most of the posters here. My father's layout has half a dozen or so Lima locos (20, 33, 52, 55, 60, 67, 73, 92) and I have a Lima 94XX. All decent runners, though the 20 is rather quick! (Began to wonder if the "DRS" written on the side stood for "Drag Reduction System"!). No, they're not as finely detailed or as good runners as the modern stuff but they look the part and will keep on running. 

As for haulage capacity, an RSME member once brought along a Western he'd put a second motor bogie in. We never found out how many coaches would stall it as when we put the 32nd coach on the train, its tail lamp was only about 4 inches ahead of the loco on the oval! At that the loco wasn't showing any signs of slipping.

I have to agree - old Lima locos aren't as sophisticated as today's offerings but if you want to try your hand at any kind of modifications, they are the ideal starting point.  The picture is a Lima Deltic, fitted with Lima 37 bogies (much more to scale than the original Deltic ones), which is over 25 years old now.  Still going strong, fitted with directional lighting, smoke unit, all easy to fit with the basic engineering inside, and plenty of space!

post-18779-0-57281100-1398515441_thumb.jpg

I have to agree - old Lima locos aren't as sophisticated as today's offerings but if you want to try your hand at any kind of modifications, they are the ideal starting point.  The picture is a Lima Deltic, fitted with Lima 37 bogies (much more to scale than the original Deltic ones), which is over 25 years old now.  Still going strong, fitted with directional lighting, smoke unit, all easy to fit with the basic engineering inside, and plenty of space!

How does it perform at low speed?

I could get some of my Lima locos to really crawl along. Also any chance of video showing smoke unit operation?

We used a lot of Lima diesels on the MRC's New Annington layout. they usually performed without fault BUT the main problem was the pizza cutter wheels on fine scale rail. They ran along the ballast and caused bad running. We done an experiment and turned the flanges down in a lathe and problem solved. Providing you want to detail them and remove the awful big couplers, there's nothing wrong with them (except the Deltic is far too short) .

• RMweb Premium

We used a lot of Lima diesels on the MRC's New Annington layout. they usually performed without fault BUT the main problem was the pizza cutter wheels on fine scale rail. They ran along the ballast and caused bad running. We done an experiment and turned the flanges down in a lathe and problem solved. Providing you want to detail them and remove the awful big couplers, there's nothing wrong with them (except the Deltic is far too short) .

Hi Roy

How to slove the problem. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62561-rough-engineering-made-easy-converting-diesels/?p=1040520

Hi Reece,

Soz for the delayed reply have got caught up with few other little bits. Anyways Thank you for posting and may I say you have achieved an Awesome result with the detailing of your loco's and Dmu's. Its becoming very apparent from lots of different modellers that the dmu's are some of the best .. Which is good news.

Many Thanks & Kind Regards

Hi Danny, I am echoing a lot of previous posts and the previous one by Reece, the Lima DMU's are a good base model for detailing, yes I have the Bachmann 105, 108's etc and the Heljan 128's, but when handling the Lima / Hornby items the underslung bits don't come off if you handle them a bit clumsily.....it's ok having all this super detailing, that is until the sausage fingers start bumbling around...like many us on here have.

Go for it get yourself a couple of models, and have some "proper modelling" fun and satisfaction in doing some modelling, converting & detailing as well.

Happy Modelling

Craig.

Hi Craig :) 

Many Thanks for your post, I must admit that if I did have the budget then I would go for the nicely detailed and superb running Bachmann loco's .. but as a family man funds are somewhat slim pickings, But that aside it never stops me from enjoying this Great hobby and from getting a bargain off ebay and bringing it back to life .. Always a fulfilling sense of achievement.

I have recently bought 2 Network Southeast Dmu's .. to which I am Very happy with .. now jus wishing I had more time to start building the new layout.

Best Wishes

Dan :thankyou: 

I can only echo the sentiments of most of the posters here. My father's layout has half a dozen or so Lima locos (20, 33, 52, 55, 60, 67, 73, 92) and I have a Lima 94XX. All decent runners, though the 20 is rather quick! (Began to wonder if the "DRS" written on the side stood for "Drag Reduction System"!). No, they're not as finely detailed or as good runners as the modern stuff but they look the part and will keep on running. 

As for haulage capacity, an RSME member once brought along a Western he'd put a second motor bogie in. We never found out how many coaches would stall it as when we put the 32nd coach on the train, its tail lamp was only about 4 inches ahead of the loco on the oval! At that the loco wasn't showing any signs of slipping.

Hi RJS1977

Cheers for your post, yeh there are many different and somewhat mixed feelings about Lima models. But I just wanted to get some advice and then go ahead and just enjoy running what I had chosen to model.

I must admit also that at my railway club there is a nice chap who hasspent a lot of time and money on converting his Lima diesels not just to dcc but he also has finely detailed them and weathered them. And on nights he brings something to run on the club layout .. all of his stock I have seen so far has Never slipped or had any problems whatsoever .. but like most post on here say " just the luck of the draw or just good models in general". I Always like to do all my upkeeps/servicing myself and pride my stocks as being Good Clean runners.

Kind Regards

Hi D9016,

Thanks for your post, Must agree with Lima being a good starting point :good:  I am really enjoying my current stocks, but only get the chance to run them at my club .. As no layout as yet and if only had the time.  That's a fine picture of your loco and interesting how you got a smoke unit in there .. Very Nicely done :thankyou: 

Kind Regards

Dan

Hi roythebus,

Cheers for your post, I don't run on finescale/code 75 so I hope I do not come across the same problem with my code 100. But Thanks for the heads up :good: 

Kind Regards

• RMweb Gold

Well, just to add my 2p, I've a 31, a 37, a 47, and a cl117 dmu that I'm going to convert into a cl 114 at some point. They all needed cleaning up before running, but that was no hardship. The 47 was remotored with one from http://www.intercitymodels.com, and the 37 had real problems. The issue turned out that the hole in the middle of two of the gears was too small so a quick go with a round file freed them up and it runs well now. The cl117 has just arrived, and runs ok, but I've not had a chance to clean it. If I can keep the motor when I convert it to a cl114 I will. The models have been great for getting my hands dirty, and for getting me to try new techniques without ruining an expensive loco. I like them.

Well, just to add my 2p, I've a 31, a 37, a 47, and a cl117 dmu that I'm going to convert into a cl 114 at some point. They all needed cleaning up before running, but that was no hardship. The 47 was remotored with one from http://www.intercitymodels.com, and the 37 had real problems. The issue turned out that the hole in the middle of two of the gears was too small so a quick go with a round file freed them up and it runs well now. The cl117 has just arrived, and runs ok, but I've not had a chance to clean it. If I can keep the motor when I convert it to a cl114 I will. The models have been great for getting my hands dirty, and for getting me to try new techniques without ruining an expensive loco. I like them.

Hi Jcl,

Many Thanks for your post and thank you for sharing your experiences .. must admit I do like a nice little tale to which leads to reviving a lame runner or giving a good facelift to a loco by doing all the detailing. I hope to one day detail my stocks .. but I am still Very much in the learning stages of detailing models .. All good things come to those that hath patience .. Or so I am told? :) 

Kind Regards

Archived