If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Lima Diesels .. Yes or No?

Dannyboy2891

Glad to hear that you may in future model a Tmd, will keep my eyes peeled in future for that.

So what is your current model ..Any pictures?.

Many Thanks

Dan :good:     

Nothing to shout about, I'm afraid, link is in my signature - it's only a 6ft scenic section. I seem to be a serial small layout builder whilst dreaming of a double garage or usable loft space. Maybe this one will actually get finished! Again, good luck with yours, Pete.

It's your layout - do what you want and run what you want.

Lima models are fine. The running can be mixed - I've seen good ones and duff ones - but if you get a good 'un then it will be fine. If not, look at servicing etc.

As far as the bodies go, check the Craftsman Models and Shawplan ranges. When Lima was all we had, cottage industries appeared offering etched and cast detailing parts and they are still available.

Learning detailing, painting and servicing on Lima models is a really great idea. If you get them cheap then if it all goes wrong, you don't worry about it.

It's worth looking at old mags from the 1990s as there will be detailing articles in there. I know the L&WMRS layout Walford Town was full of detailed Lima and it still stands up to scrutiny today.

WalfordDMU.jpg

Guest 40-something

Im a fan of Lima diesels

To my mind the 101 DMU is the best of them, indeed I have a 3-car one to be detailed up and painted.

The 31 I think is better than anything thats been offered since, the 40 held its own until Bachmann's recent retool and the 47 is only slightly eclipsed by the Bachmann & ViTrains models, and the 60 & 73 are great models too.

True, some can be rough runners, but a good service and with the wheels and picks ups (and track!) kept clean, the loco's will run very well 

Even if you're not on a budget, they shouldnt be overlooked!

I agree with the sentiments here - go for it! I picked up a Lima Warship effectively new in box for £15 at the weekend - OK, it's a basic model but at that price it makes modelling accessible in so many ways that an £100 loco doesn't...(I also picked up a Hornby 91 for £8 as a non-runner, a quick strip down and clean sorted that).    

• RMweb Gold

My most recent modelling projects have been "budget diesels"

Putting new power units under old cherished Lima bodies

post-6925-0-62545500-1397586236_thumb.jpg

First is a number of Lima 40 bodies with Shawplan bits put over Bachmann 40 power units. Just a small bit of fettling required to the front of the Bachmann chassis.

Second is Lima HST bodies which are more or less a straight fit to the new Hornby HST chassis, it needs anchoring in some way but a brilliant fit! Edit -Lima model at back, Hornby new tooling at front.

post-6925-0-40803200-1397586351_thumb.jpg

Sure they aren't as super detailed as Fresh out of the box new releases, but these are less than half the price of them and added plus of doing a bit of modelling.

Also ongoing lima 47 body onto a Heljan chassis on a diet, and Mainline 56 onto Hornby 56 chassis! Really good fun.

Neil

Just brought down my lima class 40, 40 052 from the layout where it has been in a cabinet, but it does run ok. Price label on box says I bought it in Hadley Hobbies in Middlesex st just round from Liverpool Street station, for £32.50. Must have been late 1980s. Also bought a 47 at the same time, they were pretty well at the end of Lima production, I think, but the paint, detail decoration and mechs seemed to have the edge on earlier models. I wonder if they were made to a better spec, perhaps gears etc were moulded to better tolerances?  Maybe I was just lucky.  More recent much heavier diesel models with a big central motor driving both bogies without needing traction tyres seem to have the edge though.  But the 47 is sitting on layout with some more recent 47s and fits in rather well. So Lima ain't bad, really.

edit due to typo, Liverpool street station isn't Liverpool station.....

Hi 37114

Must start of by saying Very cool handle for your profile :sungum:  The class 37 is one of my all time favourite loco's. Cheers for your post and for being yet Another yes to go ahead and enjoy your diesels :good: Interesting that you say that the dmu's run very nicely .. as a fellow club member has just offered me 2 Nse dmu's one 2 car unit and 1 three car unit .. so mite just take him up on those.  

Many Thanks to you Kind sir

Best wishes

Dan

Thanks Dan, if you look on my Pallet lane thread page 6 shows what can be done with a Lima 31.

Changing to a model torque motor takes a few moments and the difference is huge. Well worth it.

Some people have swapped the Lima motors with motors taken from things like cd drives and they work very well indeed.

I have also turned the wheels down on a cpl of flying bananas, by removing the wheels, placing them in a drill church and attacking with a file.

Not one for the purists but they run very well on code 75, it's easy to get bent out of shape with wheel standards so don't worry to much.

There's a ton of detailing extras to, so go for it!

I have a fleet of nearly 30 Lima diesels, of all types and all run very well, some noisy, some quieter, and I have not had a repair to any of them in well over 20 years of use, other than to replace a few traction tyres that are still available. I have not repowered any of them either. A simple mechanism but strong and reliable.

47's, 40's Deltics 52's etc will all pull 12 coach plus on my loft layout - with no problems.

Keep the current collecting wheels bright and clean, apply just a spot of electrolube (from a pen dispenser) on both motor central bearings together with a drop on the gears. That's it, away they go with a realistic growl, especially the Deltics at high speed !!

Yes they may not be as super detailed as the present stuff, but are to me very acceptable and useful. Lima DMU's also run well. Lima steam locos a bit iffy though.

I even bought a second hand D400 from Hereford Models last year for £30 - a nice model that again runs well with a growl.

You don't need sound chips with Lima diesels. Buy 'em, run 'em, enjoy 'em.

Brit15

I've just remembered there was a review some years back of a replacement motor, made in Australia I think, for Lima models.  I gather it was extremely simple to fit - remove commutator (and magnet, or maybe not?) and slot in the new motor. Maybe this is the model torque motor that Black Rat is referring to?  

Others have said on here that the motors are basic. Well yes they are compaired with modern models. However they are reliable motors. Most of my lima locos had not run in years due to the lack of a layout. I took them down to my model railway club and gave them a run most of them ran without any problem the rest just needed the wheels cleaned and a little oil.

They will benefit from detailing and flush glazing but they are great models I will be keeping all of mine.

• RMweb Premium

I've just remembered there was a review some years back of a replacement motor, made in Australia I think, for Lima models.  I gather it was extremely simple to fit - remove commutator (and magnet, or maybe not?) and slot in the new motor. Maybe this is the model torque motor that Black Rat is referring to?  

Correct.  ModelTorque made motors specifically to repower Lima locos.  The proprietor has since passed away and I don't known what has become of his products.

I refitted one Lima 47 with a ModelTorque unit.  It is an easy swap if you can solder.  Just a couple of spots are required.  It takes five minutes.  The new motor improves performance but not the whine as that comes from the gears.  It made no difference to pulling power.

• RMweb Premium

Lima yes or no?

Yes for their reliability as already stated. Yes for the models themsleves, despite their age they look good. Yes for their haulage. 

No for some of the silly secondhand prices some dealers are asking. For a few quid more you can pick up Bachmann locos that are better all round.

• RMweb Premium

When I returned to the hobby I had a few Lima locos from my early days. I weighed up the pros and cons and my decision was that I was better off selling the Lima stock and starting again. In my case (with the added expense of EM conversion) the rewheel, re-motor, detail and re-paint costs meant it didn't make sense to use the old Lima stuff.

Personally if slow running is important to you, I would go for something from the current crop of RTR locos instead. Depending on what you are looking for you can pick up Bachmann class 20s and 25s (for example) for less than £50. I'd go down that route but settle on having fewer locos if cost is an issue.

Well as with all choices there is compromise. There is absolutely nothing wrong with many Lima locos once they have had a little attention. The bodies lend themselves to detailing, as others have said, IMHO the mechanism needs some work (wheel change although this may not be necessary if using code 100 track) and the running qualities of the motor can be improved by using DCC. Which brings me to my point. If your planning a TMD then running qualities are going to be important, or you will end up tearing you hair out, so as I see it here's your choice DC with current state of the art mechanisms, with Lima upgrades, or go DCC.

... That's what I'd do. Whatever you do have fun.

Hi griffgriff,

Many Thanks for your post, nice to see another who is pro Lima .. Indeed they are nice base starters and  when I do find or can find detailing parts for them .. am looking forward to my first steps in doing so. I am afraid that Dcc is a long way off as I cannot afford the cost at this time, although I have looked into Dcc controllers and I must admit that the gaugemaster prodigy certainly appealed to me A lot. But maybe if a decent job comes my way or a average lotto win .. then mite be possible.

Thanks for your advice and if you or anybody out there knows where I could get detailing items for my diesels.. would be much appreciated :good: 

What do you model sir and any further advice for a newbie?.

Best Wishes

Dan  

Lima models are fine. The running can be mixed - I've seen good ones and duff ones - but if you get a good 'un then it will be fine. If not, look at servicing etc.

As far as the bodies go, check the Craftsman Models and Shawplan ranges. When Lima was all we had, cottage industries appeared offering etched and cast detailing parts and they are still available.

Learning detailing, painting and servicing on Lima models is a really great idea. If you get them cheap then if it all goes wrong, you don't worry about it.

It's worth looking at old mags from the 1990s as there will be detailing articles in there. I know the L&WMRS layout Walford Town was full of detailed Lima and it still stands up to scrutiny today.

attachicon.gifWalfordDMU.jpg

attachicon.gifWalfordDMU.jpg

Hi Phil,

Cheers for your post and for the encouragement in going forward with what I want :good:  I have always believed in modelling what appeals to me, but it never hurts to get some guidance or advice in the rite direction from experienced modellers or even those that work on the real ones.

That is a fine picture of the Nse dmu .. mite try to look up that layout, sure looks the part. May I ask what do you model and do you have your layout/pics on here?.

I was wondering where I could obtain detailing parts from, nice one  :good:  I think with the internet as a good source of pictures of diesel and a good friend of mine a couple of doors down from me is a Huge diesel fan and has an interesting catalogue of books/pictures of all kinds. 

Many Thanks to you :thankyou: 

Kind Regards

Dan  

Im a fan of Lima diesels

To my mind the 101 DMU is the best of them, indeed I have a 3-car one to be detailed up and painted.

The 31 I think is better than anything thats been offered since, the 40 held its own until Bachmann's recent retool and the 47 is only slightly eclipsed by the Bachmann & ViTrains models, and the 60 & 73 are great models too.

True, some can be rough runners, but a good service and with the wheels and picks ups (and track!) kept clean, the loco's will run very well 

Even if you're not on a budget, they shouldnt be overlooked!

Hi 40-Something,

Cheers for your post, again another pro Lima fan .. Awesome. I am certainly going to continue with my project as planned, but all con's will surely be noted and looked out for. Since I started this post I have been slowly and increasingly made aware just how good the dmu's are .. Cool :sungum: cheers again.

Think I might have to widen my Tmd to accommodate a little Dmu servicing aspects, I have been offered two dmu's just recently ..so mite just jump onto those and increase my potentials.

I could not agree more with your last statement. May I ask what you prefer to model and do you have any layouts or new projects in the pipeline?.

Many Thanks to you,

Dan

I agree with the sentiments here - go for it! I picked up a Lima Warship effectively new in box for £15 at the weekend - OK, it's a basic model but at that price it makes modelling accessible in so many ways that an £100 loco doesn't...(I also picked up a Hornby 91 for £8 as a non-runner, a quick strip down and clean sorted that).    

Hi Andyman7,

Cheers for your post, sounds like you had a great weekend and I take my hat off to you for the bargains to which you obtained .. I am never shy of picking up the odd good condition non runner, nothing quite like a good revival project.  

Very true about lima prices at the moment, they are very reasonable and for me a great way to operate and collect for my Tmd. May I ask what is your modelling preference and do you have a layout/pic's on here?.

Many thanks

Dan

Nothing wrong with Lima, when i was younger I would pick a Lima model over any other. Even recently I picked up a second hand class 27 from Hattons and this runs great.

To be honest I wish Lima was still around...

Hi jsp3970,

Cheers for your post and what a Very interesting point about if Lima were still about today .. Maybe all the diesel fans out there would not have to rely on Hornby or Bachmann for the stocks they want??. I know that's a Very bold statement .. but how many of us have seen a loco or wagon we Really want in the catalogue and then have to wait a further 2to3 years before it eventually is realised .. or make that 3to4 years for Bachmann. I mean no offence by these comments but it just based upon my own experiences with the two manufacturers. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy the products When I get them and in some rare cases I may have uttered the words it was worth the wait.

May I ask what you model and do you have any pics?.

Many Thanks

Dan :good:

My most recent modelling projects have been "budget diesels"

Putting new power units under old cherished Lima bodies

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

First is a number of Lima 40 bodies with Shawplan bits put over Bachmann 40 power units. Just a small bit of fettling required to the front of the Bachmann chassis.

Second is Lima HST bodies which are more or less a straight fit to the new Hornby HST chassis, it needs anchoring in some way but a brilliant fit! Edit -Lima model at back, Hornby new tooling at front.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Sure they aren't as super detailed as Fresh out of the box new releases, but these are less than half the price of them and added plus of doing a bit of modelling.

Also ongoing lima 47 body onto a Heljan chassis on a diet, and Mainline 56 onto Hornby 56 chassis! Really good fun.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Wow thanks for your pic's .. they are awesome :thankyou: I bet your well proud of them, I sure would be. May I add to that your an inspiration to all with the insight to which you have gone about your latest projects .. swapping chassis is very clever.

Many Thanks

Dan

Just brought down my lima class 40, 40 052 from the layout where it has been in a cabinet, but it does run ok. Price label on box says I bought it in Hadley Hobbies in Middlesex st just round from Liverpool Street station, for £32.50. Must have been late 1980s. Also bought a 47 at the same time, they were pretty well at the end of Lima production, I think, but the paint, detail decoration and mechs seemed to have the edge on earlier models. I wonder if they were made to a better spec, perhaps gears etc were moulded to better tolerances?  Maybe I was just lucky.  More recent much heavier diesel models with a big central motor driving both bogies without needing traction tyres seem to have the edge though.  But the 47 is sitting on layout with some more recent 47s and fits in rather well. So Lima ain't bad, really.

edit due to typo, Liverpool street station isn't Liverpool station.....

Hi Railroadbill,

Cheers for your post, indeed I must agree. I myself have 5 loco's and like you I am More than happy with how they look .. but buffer detailing would certainly add that finished look, until I am brave enough to attempt weathering. 

Best wishes

Dan

I have a fleet of nearly 30 Lima diesels, of all types and all run very well, some noisy, some quieter, and I have not had a repair to any of them in well over 20 years of use, other than to replace a few traction tyres that are still available. I have not repowered any of them either. A simple mechanism but strong and reliable.

47's, 40's Deltics 52's etc will all pull 12 coach plus on my loft layout - with no problems.

Keep the current collecting wheels bright and clean, apply just a spot of electrolube (from a pen dispenser) on both motor central bearings together with a drop on the gears. That's it, away they go with a realistic growl, especially the Deltics at high speed !!

Yes they may not be as super detailed as the present stuff, but are to me very acceptable and useful. Lima DMU's also run well. Lima steam locos a bit iffy though.

I even bought a second hand D400 from Hereford Models last year for £30 - a nice model that again runs well with a growl.

You don't need sound chips with Lima diesels. Buy 'em, run 'em, enjoy 'em.

Brit15

Hi Apollo,

What a great post and indeed a good testament to the true pleasure of owning Lima models.

Many Thanks to you :thankyou: 

Best wishes

Dan

Archived