The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

• RMweb Premium
On 14/08/2019 at 17:49, NorthBrit said:

Meccano

There was more Meccano at the Mid Suffolk Light Railway yesterday, and the show continues today. Most enjoyable.

I saw a model train, a sort of traction engine (in steam), and a radio-controlled jeep hauling a trailing with a radio-controlled duck. Surely, only in the British isles!

- Richard.

P1010126.jpg.67096e2c7dba60f8263c10e2bb978765.jpg

P1010140.jpg.a06717ee1bbce5b0125ae6ddd29bce91.jpg

P1010133.jpg.f1dc4b4ba86cfc5ca13b63605255cb73.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Always good to find a deserted beach on a sunny August bank holiday.

Crosby Beach, which is part of the Merseyside coastline north of Liverpool, on 26th August 2019...

560535298_CrosbyBeach260820191-RMweb.jpg.666cd9dd14a9699ee0834f6cd5bd124b.jpg 

...deserted except for the Another Place sculptures by Antony Gormley, to which nature and the elements are slowly adding their own meaning.

1784597987_AnotherPlaceSculptureCrosbyBeach260820192-RMweb.jpg.7d2753b9599e3bd31e2ba0c3cb74cc5f.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Neil said:

The average banana republic at least has better weather.

But surely today's weather is the very best? Bright sunshine, pleasant breeze, exceedingly pleasant and comfortable, with well planned rain expected overnight. And we have  His Paramount Magnificence Boris the Blond grasping the handlebars of power and outraging liberal opinion. Such auspicious combinations are very infrequent.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

And we have  His Paramount Magnificence Boris the Blond grasping the handlebars of power and outraging liberal opinion. Such auspicious combinations are very infrequent.

He's a git.

• Like 4
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

But surely today's weather is the very best? Bright sunshine, pleasant breeze, exceedingly pleasant and comfortable, with well planned rain expected overnight.

Yes plenty of rain overnight and the garden got its watering. After work (I work from home) I fell asleep in a sun lounger. I woke an hour+ later when a drop of water landed on my nose and I realised it was raining again. I'll admit, the radio and TV aren't allowed in the garden (chill space) but it was a lovely day in Essex.

- Richard.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

But surely today's weather is the very best? Bright sunshine, pleasant breeze, exceedingly pleasant and comfortable, with well planned rain expected overnight. And we have  His Paramount Magnificence Boris the Blond grasping the handlebars of power and outraging liberal opinion. Such auspicious combinations are very infrequent.

I've been watching Boris' antics with great interest. He always struck me as a much shrewder operator than Our Man Dave, and you never do yourself any harm at the polls in England by offending the French. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/08/2019 at 12:11, rockershovel said:

I've been watching Boris' antics with great interest. He always struck me as a much shrewder operator than Our Man Dave, .....

My 88 year old mothers comment on the situation in the UK this morning, 'it's like being the passenger in a car driven by an idiot'.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6

Days when I know why I live in the British Isles?

Well when you're on your way home from club night, and you call in at Morrisons to 'have a look' at the reduced counter, and half of Redditch has the same idea, resulting in a crowd waiting for the items to be reduced....

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Well when you're on your way home from club night, and you call in at Morrisons to 'have a look' at the reduced counter, and half of Redditch has the same idea, resulting in a crowd waiting for the items to be reduced....

You know you can only get away with that while you are an impoverished student Mr Kane?

• Funny 3

12 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

You know you can only get away with that while you are an impoverished student Mr Kane?

I do indeed Phil, but it's usually with my dad. It's amazing what you can pick up - the other day we got some smoked salmon taramasalata for 7p! ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SVRlad said:

It beats feeding time at the zoo for entertainment.

• Funny 4

6 hours ago, Neil said:

My 88 year old mothers comment on the situation in the UK this morning, 'it's like being the passenger in a car driven by an idiot'.

Actually with all respect to your mother it's nothing like as good as that. Whatever the driver he or she has no effective controls, and there are no roads, no map, no owners manual, and no signposts to the petrol station. It's rather wonderful really.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

I'm just home from a week in Snowdonia, the perfect holiday destination. People at work think I'm being wilfully contrarian (something I'll admit to being guilty of at times....) when I say that if given free choice to go anywhere for a holiday I'd go to North Wales (followed by Cumbria) but I'm being completely sincere. North Wales has everything I enjoy, stunning scenery, great walking, castles, steam trains, lovely beaches, bonkers zip lines (try Velocity 2.....), cheese on toast and lovely people. And you avoid that whole nightmare of flying. It really is the most wonderful place, beautiful. The Welsh Highland Railway is glorious, and gives you the opportunity to bash Beyer-Garratt kettles in the most wonderful of settings, how can you beat that?!!

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 8
  • Agree 5

9 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I'm just home from a week in Snowdonia, the perfect holiday destination. People at work think I'm being wilfully contrarian (something I'll admit to being guilty of at times....) when I say that if given free choice to go anywhere for a holiday I'd go to North Wales (followed by Cumbria) but I'm being completely sincere. North Wales has everything I enjoy, stunning scenery, great walking, castles, steam trains, lovely beaches, bonkers zip lines (try Velocity 2.....), cheese on toast and lovely people. And you avoid that whole nightmare of flying. It really is the most wonderful place, beautiful. The Welsh Highland Railway is glorious, and gives you the opportunity to bash Beyer-Garratt kettles in the most wonderful of settings, how can you beat that?!!

I don’t know N Wales well (my principal memories there are of a trek to the Dragon Rally, long ago on a 600cc Panther and sidecar, which I slept in, and the Pen-y-Gwrd hotel with all the climbers’ signatures on the ceiling) but I’ve had a couple of good trips there. 

Cumbria, absolutely. 

I spent two years working on a pipeline contract which introduced me to the whole South Wales / Brecon area, from Monmouth across to Carmarthenshire and The Gower Peninsula, and that was an eye-opener. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Actually with all respect to your mother it's nothing like as good as that. Whatever the driver he or she has no effective controls, and there are no roads, no map, no owners manual, and no signposts to the petrol station. It's rather wonderful really.

It’s an interesting time to be living in, for sure. We seem to be passing through an existential crisis in which many of the ideological and economic orthodoxies of the past fifty years are seen to be played out. Political parties seem incapable of governing themselves, let alone the nation; the press have abandoned themselves to hysterical posturing, while the electorate have become mutinous and vote “none of the above” whenever they have the opportunity. 

FWIW, I’m rather glad to be living in the UK at such a time. Our sometimes sclerotic, often passive Parliament has done us the notable service of voting down BOTH sides of a highly dubious binary choice, presented by the two principal factions. The Opposition seem to be increasingly given to revolutionary zeal; well, we did that before and seem to have survived the experience. 

It all seems rather reminiscent of the “War of Laws” which marked the last stage of the Soviet Union. However one thing about our famously uncodified constitution, is that it got that way by a process of evolution and like most such things, is remarkably robust in its own way, with a strong tendency to stabilise itself. 

If we MUST pass through such a period, and there seems to be no viable option, I can think of much worse places to pass through it. 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

... People at work think I'm being wilfully contrarian (something I'll admit to being guilty of at times....) when I say that if given free choice to go anywhere for a holiday I'd go to North Wales (followed by Cumbria) but I'm being completely sincere...

In their various ways I feel this to be true of all the wilder parts of this archipelago, which are mostly on the Western side. Haven't felt any yen for going abroad in seventeen years now, we just lurch off, usually West, and have a wonderful time...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

In their various ways I feel this to be true of all the wilder parts of this archipelago, which are mostly on the Western side. Haven't felt any yen for going abroad in seventeen years now, we just lurch off, usually West, and have a wonderful time...

Left to myself this would also be my preference for the most part, however we do go to Indonesia to visit my wife's family. North Yorkshire and Northumberland are also lovely. I would like to spend more time in Devon and Cornwall too. I spend a lot of time flying to different places and at the risk of sounding small minded the whole rigmarole of flying puts me off. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

...I spend a lot of time flying to different places and at the risk of sounding small minded the whole rigmarole of flying puts me off. 

You are not alone. Most of my career involved an appreciable percentage of my work life travelling the world, and I will be happy never to see the inside of an airport or aircraft ever again.

3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

It’s an interesting time to be living in, for sure. We seem to be passing through an existential crisis...

The artists got there first in appreciating this. For me it's a close run thing between Mischa Spoliansky and Kurt Weill (honourable mention, Friedrich Hollaender) when it comes to elegant expression of the presenting disaster. So that's Alles Schwindel ahead of Salomon's Song...

• Like 1

On 28/08/2019 at 15:19, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

His Paramount Magnificence Boris the Blond grasping the handlebars of power and outraging liberal opinion. Such auspicious combinations are very infrequent.

On 28/08/2019 at 15:34, Captain Kernow said:

He's a git.

I'd call him a tinpot dictator but its the sidekick, Cummings you've got to watch out for - he's the dangerous one!

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1