The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the videos Dave, we havent made it to Skomer or Ramsey Island yet, but I guess by late August the Puffins will have gone.

Thanks Two-Tone.  I missed out on Porthgain, the rest of the party walked there and had a pint, but I stayed on the beach with the children.

Might have to obtain one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Railways-Porthgain-Abereiddi-Locomotion-Papers/dp/0853613400/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405324271&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=the+railways+of+porthgain+and+abereidy  but not at that price!

• RMweb Gold

Hello DLT, nice pictures of my home area

The beach you mention near Abereiddy is known locally as Barry Island after the near by farm.

The walk from Abereiddy via the Blue Lagoon to the beach is fantastic. Keep going and on to Porthgain to see all the old industrial working and what was a complex narrow gauge railway and tram system. Quite a bit if the earth works survive along with some remains if the railwY building.

The harbour is very interesting and the food and beer in the Sloope Inn very good.

Aft'noon all,

Porthgain & Abereiddi - A Century of Industry by Peter B. S. Davies ISBN 0953698238 is also an excellent read about the local industries and their railways.

Dave

Hello,

If you have not been to Abereiddi since before Xmas and going to visit again then be prepared for a shock. The whole beach has been re-profiled by the very bad winter storms.

The sea wall, concrete ramp etc has all gone. Just a slope down onto the beach now and its well back into the car park which is a lot smaller.

...we took some American friends last year...Winter ended on the last day of May and Summer was starting as we travelled towards West Wales on the second day of June. The riot of wildflowers all blooming together then was outstanding inc. the road/bankside approach to Abereiddi. I'll look out a few scenes...

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

If you have not been to Abereiddi since before Xmas and going to visit again then be prepared for a shock. The whole beach has been re-profiled by the very bad winter storms.

The sea wall, concrete ramp etc has all gone. Just a slope down onto the beach now and its well back into the car park which is a lot smaller.

Hi Two-tone,

I'm not suprised, it looked pretty decrepit last summer, as if it would only take one good storm to take it all away. 

We also noted the huge fenced-off pile of boulders, presumably destined to shore up the sea wall, that judging by the amount of shrubbery covering it had been there for a long time.  A case of "who is responsible/who pays" perhaps?

Cheers,

Dave.

I remember going to Abereiddi Bay in 1972, on a hunt for graptolite fossils in the Cambrian strata exposed near the beach. Graptolites were small creatures, whose fossil remains appear to be pencil marks in the rock, and are quite hard to spot. I must have been engrossed in things; when I lifted my head, I realised there was a young seal watching me from an adjacent rock a few feet away..

• Like 2

Aft'noon all,

Summer colour and industrial past in this one, from early June 2013....industrial scenes at Porthgain...the wildflowers approaching Abereddi...Solva harbour entrance in the early morning....Broad Haven South beach.....Freshwater West via the military road....wildflowers at St Justinian....Marloes beach....bluebells and red campion on Skomer

The building with the large sloping roof in the foreground of the view of Porthgain harbour is 'The Shed'....one of the best seafood restauraunts in the UK...we book a table as soon as we start to  plan the holiday to make sure that we get to eat there at least once during our stay.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 3

Nice scenes Dave. Makes me home sick and I live there and get it as much as I want.

Solva is where my boating takes place. Great for setting off on long trips or just messing around in the pool at the harbour entrance. Great crabbing for the kids off the harbour wall when the tide is in.

Dobby from Harry Potter is buried near the cross in one of your photos which is above Fresh West. The Shell House was built on the beach there.

Not the same place in winter and the trap visitors fall into when they try to move to the area and see their nice slatted wooden fence disappear over the horizon along with their not fixed down garden shed.

Oh, TV aerials are another one. Reception in summer perfect. Winter no TV due to no aerial any more. Better get a loft version.

• Like 1

...certainly TTG...we stay in one of the 6 berth caravans at Caerfai bay most times when we're there so we won't be far from you.

Looking forward to it

Dave

P.S. I'm with you on the weather aspect...we were staying there one summer when a storm set in in the early evening and was rocking our van on its anchor points for most of the night. The sight & sound of frightened campers hurredly dismantling their tents around midnight and throwing the whole lot in the boot of their car before driving inland sticks in the memory. The campsite was deserted next morning save for the static vans. The waves had been spraying over the cliff onto the site and you know how high they are there.

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Here are a few from me continuing the Abereiddi subject.

Afternoon tea, great place to have it.

post-6682-0-41796500-1405441113_thumb.jpg

The Blue Lagoon.

post-6682-0-50074200-1405441106_thumb.jpg

Sunset.

post-6682-0-45440900-1405441109_thumb.jpg

Rollers.

post-6682-0-38869200-1405441102_thumb.jpg

Some poor souls who bought Dapol's SR brake van  and then read Adrian BS review and decided they had done wrong.

post-6682-0-74153700-1405441097_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

'The waves had been spraying over the cliff onto the site and you know how high they are there',

Only spraying, that's just mild breeze causing that. You know its bad when the waves are breaking over the cliffs which does happen and the tide does not go out due to so much water being pushed into the bay by the storms.

We watch the weather forecast for the eastern seaboard of the USA and add a bit of time and that's what we can expect. August is a windy month, look across the Atlantic for the reason why. 

You may find the beach a bit more rough than in your photo due to the beach dropping in height due to storm erosion.

Whitesands Beach near St. Davids has dropped and revealed lots of interesting things.

The rock tappers, sorry geologists are having a great time with all the new stuff revealed down west.