Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

Just back from a week in Connemara. (yes, all of Ireland is technically in the British Isles). Great weather out on the Islands but a bit wet inland! These shots are on Inishboffin.

post-7952-0-07528900-1408347284_thumb.jpg

Then, of course, there are the sheep to get to market!

post-7952-0-50864600-1408347291_thumb.jpg

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 15

Just back from a week in Connemara. (yes, all of Ireland is technically in the British Isles). Great weather out on the Islands but a bit wet inland! These shots are on Inishboffin.

attachicon.gif06 Trip to Inishboffin 16w.jpg

Then, of course, there are the sheep to get to market!

attachicon.gif06 Trip to Inishboffin 25w.jpg

That brings back some very happy memories. A friend and I went cycle touring around Connemara some years ago. We spent a couple of days on Inishboffin with our tent perched on a cliff top above a beautiful sandy beach all to ourselves. We even had some decent weather.

Thanks for posting!

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

A few piccies from our trip to sunny West Cornwall this summer...

Godrevy Point from Gwithian beach..

post-7247-0-68354300-1408350057_thumb.jpg

Sunset from Gwithian beach...

post-7247-0-24496800-1408350083_thumb.jpg

Kynance Cove...

post-7247-0-52380900-1408350111_thumb.jpg

Boats at Mousehole...

post-7247-0-42029600-1408350712_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 12

That brings back some very happy memories. A friend and I went cycle touring around Connemara some years ago. We spent a couple of days on Inishboffin with our tent perched on a cliff top above a beautiful sandy beach all to ourselves. We even had some decent weather.

Thanks for posting!

Cheers

Dave

I know the very spot!!

John

• Like 1

Derbyshire Well Dressing and distinctly British subject matter.

post-9751-0-76997100-1408397598.jpg

Unfortunately slightly (weather) battered by the time it was photographed some 6 weeks after dedication - not unlike the R.A.F. on this very day 74 years ago, which was the "Hardest Day" of the Battle of Britain, with the R.A.F and the Luftwaffe each suffering over 100 planes destroyed or damaged during that day.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I hope these come out OK

trebah2c.jpg

mp0001.jpg

hp004.jpg

creek4.jpg

gwk001.jpg

mat1.jpg

Edited due to a muckup in the editor

Hi Martin,

South Cornwall, Helford River?  The last photo is Trelowarren Quay isnt it?

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin,

South Cornwall, Helford River?  The last photo is Trelowarren Quay isnt it?

Dave.

Most are Helford River except for the second picture

Aft'noon all,

A few scenes from our recent Staffs Moorlands...Ironbridge...Bridgnorth..Cleobury Mortimer...Bromfield...Colwall...Great Malvern...Upton-on-Severn..Pershore..Stratford-on-Avon..Burton-on-Trent day out. Mainly around Great Malvern.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 3

Aft'noon all,

A few scenes from our July sunshine chasing trip to North Norfolk...Tansor...Burnham Overy Mill...Burnham windmill...The Pheasant, Kelling....Kelling land & seascape...Cley & windpump...Morston quay...Heacham lavender farm. Approx 75% of the journey on B roads & side roads via Asfordby on the hill, Twyford, Somerby, Harringworth, Kings Cliffe, Ramsey, Outwell, Wiggenhall St Germans, Heacham, Burnham & Blakeney.

The Pheasant is a great place to stay...superb food/beer, comfortable rooms and booked the day before our arrival.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Glad you liked North Norfolk, as I chose to live here!

Sat in the garden Saturday, a robin came alongside me, less than a foot away, it didn't fly off even though I was manoeuvring about a 6ft plack of wood and marking it up for some complicated cutting.the robin came back later when I returned with the next piece of marking up. Sadly I didn't have the camera available.

Hi Q,

Have to admit that the weather forecast decided the destination but we thoroughly enjoy a short break around Blakeney every now and then...no other part of the UK is quite like it. You are fortunate to live there but you must have some long journey's to reach certain parts of the UK.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi Q,

Have to admit that the weather forecast decided the destination but we thoroughly enjoy a short break around Blakeney every now and then...no other part of the UK is quite like it. You are fortunate to live there but you must have some long journey's to reach certain parts of the UK.

Dave

Don't I know it, I spent January to June travelling up and down the A47,A17 A1, to visit SWMBOs Uncle in Rotherham who was seriously ill and the last trip to clear his house after he died.

SWMBOs family are Rotherham and Manchester,

Mine are Wiltshire and Around the Firth of forth!

After the RAF posted me here in 1979 I fell in love with the place, I was posted away in 1983, and only by getting a job in Saudi for 6 years did I afford to move back in 1999.(cos the wages round here are c##p so I had to pay off the mortgage first).

Now I live within sight of the beach and the Broads. But high enough to not worry about flooding or going over the cliff!!! And also not quite being in the broads park meant I had no problems building a big shed for a model railway except that of high winds!!

TheQ

• Like 1

A couple of Autumnal views from Monsal Head:

post-9751-0-35392800-1409159334_thumb.jpg

Looking North towards Cressbrook and Millers Dale with Netherdale Farm and it's noisy geese down below.

post-9751-0-00350700-1409159284_thumb.jpg

Looking East West down Monsal Dale towards Finn Wood with the Monsal Trail and Viaduct in the centre of the picture.

Edit: Can't tell the difference between East and West :this:

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 10