The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

Thanks Paul,

Dorset is another old stamping ground, but we are more often tempted further west. 

Dave.

Nice ones Dave, we in Dorset are always thankful to Devon, and Cornwall - for taking most of the rain out of the prevailing winds in winter, but don't tell everyone or they'll all want to live 'ere. :-)

• Like 1

Yes, very nice - but me, again I'm just looking forward to taking the dogs in the van, just 15 miles from home, to a nice spot on the Purbecks, and walking in some of England's finest countryside, and ending up at  the pub with the excellent outlook as below ( the pub in my 'signature'). Yes that's the sea in the misty distance (1 & 1/2 miles away). :sungum:

Not been there for a while I used to live five minute walk away in the village.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Or moving up to Devon, this is Lundy Island, in the Bristol Channel

IMG_6173_zps09ea73bf.jpg

IMG_5624_zpsae58e5a1.jpg

And a Dipper, feeding on the River Teign at Fingle Bridge.

P1000895crop_zpsf4e15a61.jpg

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 9

Ah, what a coincidence the BBC programme now on ' Escape To The Country' is centred on our area. :sungum:  Now do I dig out some pics of Devon, like Woolacombe, Clovelly, Hartland, Combe Martin & Lynton/Lynmouth ??

Or moving up to Devon, this is Lundy Island, in the Bristol Channel

IMG_6173_zps09ea73bf.jpg

IMG_5624_zpsae58e5a1.jpg

And a Dipper, feeding on the River Teign at Fingle Bridge.

P1000895crop_zpsf4e15a61.jpg

Dave.

Lundy Island probably my favorite place in the world. I have seen some lovely places but I just love the feel and solitude of the island.

• Like 2

Definitely!

OK, first 3. Woolacombe, my favourite dog walking beach, 5 miles or so to Putsborough beach at the other end, relax at the café, and walk back, sorry about the quality of the pic but the beach is shrouded in sea spray whipped up by a westerly wind.

Clovelly, pretty village, but tries the muscles on the back of yer legs, and Hartland, to copy the lead set by Dave (Waverley West), our Merlin posing in front of the rugged coastline leading to Hartland Point.

post-7336-0-90979500-1404833307.jpg

post-7336-0-95046500-1404833386.jpg

post-7336-0-73534700-1404833523.jpg

• Like 10

Yes, very nice - but me, again I'm just looking forward to taking the dogs in the van, just 15 miles from home, to a nice spot on the Purbecks, and walking in some of England's finest countryside, and ending up at  the pub with the excellent outlook as below ( the pub in my 'signature'). Yes that's the sea in the misty distance (1 & 1/2 miles away). :sungum:

As we will be in Dorset in a weeks time, it seems to me that the pub in your signature would be the perfect spot to end a day. Thanks for the pointer!

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

Taken a few weeks ago now, a view from the back of our house (my workshop is in the front):

RushymeadeHeader.jpg

David

Taken a few weeks ago now, a view from the back of our house (my workshop is in the front):

RushymeadeHeader.jpg

David

My workshop is also on the 'wrong side' of the house. Otherwise I would spend too much time looking at the view!

post-7952-0-12874200-1404891580_thumb.jpg

Yes, I know it's not the UK!

John

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

RushymeadeHeader.jpg

David

Looking south to the eastern Chilterns I presume, roughly where from? I grew up in Ampthill and used to cycle all over that area, but about 50 years ago.

Pete

Guest Isambarduk

Looking south to the eastern Chilterns I presume ..."

Correct! I have sent you a PM.

David

• RMweb Premium

Lundy Island probably my favorite place in the world. I have seen some lovely places but I just love the feel and solitude of the island.

A fellow Lundy-ite; thats great to hear Peter.  I've been going there on regular Field trips for many years, wonderful spot.

Don't get me started though, I can bore for Britain on the subject of Lundy....

So for now here's a bit more Cornwall, Mousehole this time.

Cornwall09Dave069_zps9272d69b.jpg

Dave.

• Like 8

A fellow Lundy-ite; thats great to hear Peter.  I've been going there on regular Field trips for many years, wonderful spot.

Don't get me started though, I can bore for Britain on the subject of Lundy....

So for now here's a bit more Cornwall, Mousehole this time.

Cornwall09Dave069_zps9272d69b.jpg

Dave.

We went every year for about ten years, unfortunately 2008 was my last visit, we always tried to stay in the castle keep. The kids always enjoyed the letter boxing. Maybe over Christmas we may get a few days there, my wife really wants to visit as I spent one week there chatting every night to her in while we were dating. Many good nights spent in the marisco tavern. In the early visits it always seemed to be the last one out turned the geny off.

Cracking photo of Mousehole. The wife likes it there.

• RMweb Gold

When I visit the parents I always try to get out into the Peak District for a walk, short or long. I miss having scenery like this on the doorstep:

IMG_3039_zps2bee093e.jpg

IMG_3156_zps4f66b2a7.jpg

Tom. 

• Like 10