The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

Hi Paul,

We stayed at the Blue Boar in the town whilst visiting friends in Chelmsford a year or two back. I too filmed the traditional sailing barges at the quay as we went on to explore the Blackwater basin.

Given the maze of inlets, estuaries and other waterways I wasn't surprised to see the customs clipper in attendance.

The Blue Boar has the Farmer's micro brewery attached to it and serves a mean 'full English'.

Dave

Ha, ha, small world, in the early 1980's I lived in Witham, and for extra cash I worked behind the bar at the Blue Boar some evenings, near enough next door to my day job in the machine shop at English Electric Valve. Of all the pubs I've done that in, the Blue Boar was the only one I also liked to drink in, in those days it sold Adnams ( licks lips !!?), and a group of the regulars used to organise regular drinking trips to London, usually ending up in 'Firkin' pubs. In one I met Dave Bruce then owner of the Firkin Brewery, about 25 years later I met him again, he'd sold the brewery and is running a canal boat trust hiring out canal boats, based in Great Bedwyn, that have been specially adapted to take wheelchairs, we've used them quite a few times in our capacity of carers for disabled youngsters. Sorry I'm rambling on again!!

...another vote for the BB as a drinkers pub...some nice ales! A month ago we visited the Adnams brewery in Southwold...more nice ales and a souvenir pint glass to bring home. I've previously sent their bar towels to Canadian and American friends/family to adorn their home bars.

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ok, while I'm at it, and apologies for seeming to monopolize this thread a bit at the moment. Not because part of my paternal family lives/lived in this place, and it has many happy childhood memories but it still is one of my favourites. This is a recent-ish pic of Maldon (pronounced 'Moledon') in Essex taken from about half way along the 'prom', once a thriving small sea-port, in the pic you can see about 4 or 5 old Thames barges at the old quay, when I was kid those barges would be lined up stem to stern with their flat bottoms on the mud at low tide, lined up all the way along the full length of the prom on both sides of the channel, how times have changed, but Maldon hasn't spoilt that much.

Some super photos on here and hoping for more but that one of Maldon really does it for me. Excellent composition and the sky is just wonderful. Just the sort of location that would have Mr.Rice reaching for his layout planning pad :yes:

David

• Like 2

Some super photos on here and hoping for more but that one of Maldon really does it for me. Excellent composition and the sky is just wonderful. Just the sort of location that would have Mr.Rice reaching for his layout planning pad :yes:

David

Thanks, but I have to be honest, the pic was taken by my dear sister who is a camera nut. And talking about layout planning, Maldon East must have been one of the most impressive branch line terminus buildings, a possible contender for modelling once the rtr J15 arrives, then lets hope for an F4 - then an E4, - a J68.

• Like 1

Thanks, but I have to be honest, the pic was taken by my dear sister who is a camera nut. And talking about layout planning, Maldon East must have been one of the most impressive branch line terminus buildings, a possible contender for modelling once the rtr J15 arrives, then lets hope for an F4 - then an E4, - a J68.

Just to keep this railway related see scrapbooks 59a and 81, ( NB the site is down as I post ( www.carendt.com ) for a neat, small-space layout called Maldon (Market Hill)

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Premium

Just to keep this railway related see scrapbooks 59a and 81, ( NB the site is down as I post ( www.carendt.com ) for a neat, small-space layout called Maldon (Market Hill)

The link doesn't work, I think you have to add http:// in front. You can see Maldon (Market Hill) at the Basildon show tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

Welcome (cough, cough) to Widnes. (cough, splutter, gob out phlegm) !! 

1024px-widnes_smoke.jpg

Yes it was like this in the 50's / early 60's,

Gas

....looking at this, maybe we should change the thread title to 'Days when you know why you go to the seaside!'

Dave

And go for a swim in the raw sewerage?

....looking at this, maybe we should change the thread title to 'Days when you know why you go to the seaside!'

Dave

Not so much seaside as just before sunrise, but a bit of beach in it- Saturday morning about 4.30 with Dunnet Head in the middle distance. It's lovely here in summer......

post-2642-0-16794400-1404764061_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Interesting that  the location of my pic was a hive of Industry two hundred years before the Industrial Revolution started :)

Abbeydale industrial hamlet?

Very, very nice, Dave. 

Crummock Water, Grasmoor and Hopegill Head, NW Lakes, on Sunday...

post-7247-0-29058200-1404812240_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-50058000-1404811960_thumb.jpg

..and my faithful companion...

post-7247-0-75416800-1404811935_thumb.jpg

...and yes, she'd been rolling again and so stunk to high heaven.  :rolleyes:

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Ah, Crummock Water, photo taken from Low Fell?

Had several holidays there over many years, in a house just off the left hand edge of the photo, long before all the farms were converted into holiday cottages.

Thanks for the memories,

Dave.

• Like 1

Three of my favourite locations, yes 'DLT' 2 are Cornwall, the first is the same place as your first, Boscastle, with your location on the top of the cliff in the distance, and not as many see it - with icicles !! The second is the secluded spot at Millook. But the third is 'my centre of the universe', my favourite, and home county of Dorset, Lulworth Cove is my nearest beach, 15 miles away.

post-7336-0-26629100-1404813530.jpg

post-7336-0-23950200-1404813569.jpg

post-7336-0-28118000-1404813648.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul,

Dorset is another old stamping ground, but we are more often tempted further west.  Must redress the balance!

Heres another angle on Boscastle, and nearby St Nectan's Glen.

IMG_2506_zpse3006770.jpg

IMG_2498_zpsbea0cc25.jpg

Sorry about the smudge on the lens.

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6

Continuing the Cornish theme, sunset from Trevose Head...

post-7247-0-31307100-1404818537_thumb.jpg

The Camel Estuary looking out to Pentire Point...

post-7247-0-89420900-1404818591_thumb.jpg

And finally Bedruthan Steps...

post-7247-0-12434700-1404818763_thumb.jpg

Blue skies and the Cornish coast, it doesn't get much better than that.

Proper job!

Dave

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Ooooo I see Polkerris! how lovely :)

Yes indeed, been many times.

A lovely evening walk from Par Sands, a mile along the coast path.  A swim followed by a pint in the Rashleigh Inn, and walk back along the cliffs in the dusk.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

....Bedruthan, pretty as it is, climbed higher in my estimation when we encountered a young lady on the beach a few years back. She was completely as nature intended and doing an artful dance, whilst being filmed by a chap with a camcorder.

It seemed rude not to give her more than a second glance!

Dave 

• Like 2

....Bedruthan, pretty as it is, climbed higher in my estimation when we encountered a young lady on the beach a few years back. She was completely as nature intended and doing an artful dance, whilst being filmed by a chap with a camcorder.

It seemed rude not to give her more than a second glance!

Dave 

That makes my very enjoyable visit seem a little disappointing now, Dave...

Dave