Bachmann Class 37 DCC Sound

sulzer201

Hi all,

I have come across a Bachmann 37 (BR blue model with switches for cab lights underneath fuel tank), it's DCC and factory fitted sound.  The price of it, here in Ireland is 150e and I was tempted by it.  The shop assistant gave a demo but he was using a short piece of track and a Hornby Elite controller.  What struck me immediately was the fact that the volume seemed so low on the model, and I thought the lowness of the sound very disappointing.  I believe the volume can be adjusted but as I'm only using the basic dynamis dcc system, I suspect I would not be in a position to alter volume settings on this loco?  Can anyone offer advice, thoughts etc on this factory sound fitted model - and what type of chip and speaker is it using?  Thanks in advance.

Regards, Tommy

I'm not sure if the one you refer to will use an ESU LokSound v3.5 or LokSound v4. Either way, you can adjust the overall volume using CV63 - maximum value on v3.5 is 64, and on v4 is 192.

The speaker is a rectangular one (100 ohm on v3.5, 4 ohm on v4) but in Bachmann's standard installation has no sealed enclosure. The quickest tweak to improve both volume and sound quality is to seal an enclosure under the speaker - Blu-tack or similar works wonders here and is quick and easy to apply. Better still, replace the speaker with a bass enhanced one, or even better still, install a bass reflex speaker in the fuel tanks, but that last one means dismantling the model.

On my own v3.5 versions, I added a second small round 100 ohm speaker in parallel in one of the noses of each locomotive. For v 4 versions, a second 4 or 8 ohm speaker can be added but you will have to work out whether to wire in parallel or series, depending on what combination of impedances you use (2 x 4 ohm, wire in series; 2 x 8 ohm, wire in parallel; 1 x 4 ohm and 1 x 8 ohm, wire in series).

EDITED to correct the last recommendation.

Edited by SRman

The only answer to this is fitting a 100 ohm bass reflex speaker into the fuel tanks -  if its a v3.5 chip. Or a Alan Butcher bass  speaker into the tanks if its a V4.0 chip - either way a complete strip down is required, it is easy but certainly well worth it.

Sealing the speaker will give you a slight improvement in sound - but nowhere near to fitting either of the above speakers - especially the AB speaker!

For v 4 versions, a second 4 or 8 ohm speaker can be added but you will have to work out whether to wire in parallel or series, depending on what combination of impedances you use (2 x 4 ohm, wire in series; 2 x 8 ohm, wire in parallel; 1 x 4 ohm and 1 x 8 ohm, could be done either way).

Not recommended.

1 x 4 ohm and 1 x 8 ohm used together MUST be wired in series to give 12ohms total. If you wire this combination in parallel you will get a total inpedence of around 2.7 ohms, dangerously below the 4 ohms minimum required for Lok V4.0.

Kind regards,

Paul

Well the temptation was too much and I bought the 37 today.  As a first step, temporary adjustment, I have sealed around the speaker (located under fan grill) with blue tack as per SRman's advice  and in the future I will definitely take on the other suggestions and make the more effective sound improvements. The loco is the split head-code model with the 3.5 chip.  Many thanks to all of you for being so helpful.

Regards, Tommy

• Like 1

One other thing with the v3.5: if you fit two speakers, don't run them with the volume set at more than 50.

ESU didn't officially support two speakers with the v3.5 but did tacitly support it, even releasing a model themselves with two speakers fitted.

• RMweb Gold

The factory default sound from Bachmann was dissapointing to say the least, if your not changing the speaker setup the howse sounds will give a lot more volume, i have a NON enclosed 20x40 speaker on a 3.5 which is very loud, if you are going to change the speaker setup then legomanbiffo's sounds are very good.

Obviously worth noting changes to the speaker will void the Bachmann warranty, not sure about a reblow though.

i would say save your money and buy a better controller first off even if something just to help you set up cv values i started with a dymis and as good is it is to have a wireless controller i soon had to shell out again for a power cab now with the help of a usb interface i think i have a pretty good system . . .. 

cheers ian 

i would say save your money and buy a better controller first off even if something just to help you set up cv values i started with a dymis and as good is it is to have a wireless controller i soon had to shell out again for a power cab now with the help of a usb interface i think i have a pretty good system . . .. 

cheers ian

Exactly the same for me, I got the Dynamis set and pro box as a starter set up but ended up selling it to get a Lenz 100, best thing I could have done!

Michael

• RMweb Gold

thats a howse 3.5 decoder with NO modifications to the speaker, its a standard 20x40 attached to the chassis, no baffle of anything....a bit tinny but im not going to tinker with it......

im all for volume....the more the better!

Edited by pheaton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ver_LoEf8egThanks Pheaton for loading the video and I have inserted a video of the 37 I purchased with the straight factory fitted sound from Bachmann.  The only adjustment being per the advice offered to fit some bluetac or similar to make a surround baffle for the speaker.  For a novice like myself that is enough for the time being and I might have a go at fitting a better speaker into the fuel tank or get the chip re-blown in the future.  

Regards, Tommy.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

A loudspeaker needs to be in airtight box for best results. Whilst you can craft these out of plasticard this is often tricky in Bachmann locos as sound is something of an afterthought for them. This is where blu-tac comes into its own; just use it to help you form an airtight chamber behind the speaker cone using the recess in the top of the Bachmann chassis. The bigger you can make the chamber the better. Don't obstruct the free movement of the cone and make sure no wires can touch it or they will rattle and sound awful. You'll gain 40-50% in volume and it will sound a lot less tinny if you get it right.

Volume control (CV63) is minimum 0, maximum 64 on the v3.5, but maximum 192 on the v4. That is one easy way to tell which chip you have; set the volume to 64 and listen, then set to 192 and listen again. If it gets louder it's a v4. If it stays the same it's a v3.5. Another way is to see what's written on the speaker. If you can see 100 it's probably a v3.5, whereas 4 is likely to be a v4.

Bif

If it is a V3.5 RTR model - forget the blu tak enclosure on the chassis, fit a bass reflex 100 ohm speaker into the fuel tanks.

It will go alot louder and will add bass  your 37 will growl! - This is the only way to improve the RTR V3.5 model for increase loudness

If its a V4 chip get youself the Alan Butcher speaker fitted into the fuel tanks - this is a serious growl on a 37!

• Like 1

On the chassis there are stacks of wires running over the recess. Is this where the blu tak goes?

If it is a V3.5 RTR model - forget the blu tak enclosure on the chassis, fit a bass reflex 100 ohm speaker into the fuel tanks.

It will go alot louder and will add bass  your 37 will growl! - This is the only way to improve the RTR V3.5 model for increase loudness

If its a V4 chip get youself the Alan Butcher speaker fitted into the fuel tanks - this is a serious growl on a 37!

And this shows you how to go about it - a really good guide

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/34482-bass-reflex-speakers-now-updated/