Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of the GEML this evening. I like the trains in the landscape effect of two of the photo's.  And also I particularly like C1811 of a class 47 at Boreham in October, 1974.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi Dave,

Epic Deltic shots :sungum: .    C3888 seems very late for a Deltic to be hauling Mk 1s?

Bill

I took this is Sep 1981, and they were still hauling Mk1s

post-4474-0-01145500-1436816429_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Hi. It is interesting that Mk1's were in use on some secondary ECML services as late as 1981. It is one of those things which has always intrigued me.

With regards,

Market65.

Great to see the Talyllyn photos from 1969. J1897 shows "Cambrai" outside the museum and J1897 & J1849 show part of the Irish Peat Board's loco which John Bate eventually rebuilt into "Tom Rolt" even though in the meantime volunteers had christened it "Irish Pete"!

Edward

Edited by edward66
  • Like 1

Hi. It is interesting that Mk1's were in use on some secondary ECML services as late as 1981. It is one of those things which has always intrigued me.

With regards,

Market65.

Yes. Unfortunately I don't know which service this was.

I must admit that I was surprised when it appeared.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I also wonder if the use of Mk1's, if used in this way, would, at the time, have contributed to 'the crumbling edge of quality' of BR?

I think I remember various specials from Hull to KX being formed of mainly Mk1 stock around that time, so maybe not the regular service trains.

More information is needed about the secondary ECML service train formations in the late '70's and early '80's - it would appear to be a somewhat neglected area of interest.

Withe regards,

Market65.

• Like 1

Yes, it did seem as though certain towns were not considered as important as others on the ECML.

The York trains tended to stop at Retford, Newark and Grantham. So Lincs/Notts passengers were not considered worthy of aircon services for many years after they had arrived for passengers to other destinations.

Looks like the fourth vehicle in the 55002/Mk1 shot is one of the downrated ex Mk1 style Met-Cam Pullman Cars that were around at that period.

Possibly, could also be one of the XP64 Mk1s?

Andy.

Doesn't look like one of the XP64 coaches to me Andy.

There were still Deltics + Mk1s around after the HSTs took over, though far less common than Deltics + Mk2 air cons. Had to look through about half-a-dozen KX departures before I found this one from the summer of '79.

post-6880-0-83715200-1436858980.jpg

55013 making a vigorous departure from platform 7.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the Midland line from Gargrave to the north of Skipton. There are some rather careworn/well weathered  loco's to be seen, especially the steam loco's. Of course, this is not surprising given the period of the photo's - near the end of steam on BR.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Is that anhydrite hopper at the front of the train and two of our favourite 13-ton hoppers at the rear in J633?   What is the yellow thing to the left in C1382?

Many thanks,

Bill

I think you are probably right about the wagons.

Sadly I didn't take a photo of the track machine on the left - at the time it didn't seem important - now I wish I had.  Someone might recognise it, if we are lucky.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

This evening the photos are from the ECML north of Grantham.

The first three are taken at the site of Barkston station which was a favourite location for both Dad and I.  The other two were taken just to the north at a little used level crossing.

attachicon.giff Barkston Class 47 empty iron ore Scunthorpe to High Dyke Nov 69 C180.jpg

Barkston Class 47 empty iron ore Scunthorpe to High Dyke Nov 69 C180

attachicon.giff Barkston 40108 Kings X to York May 78 C3887.jpg

Barkston 40108 Kings X to York May 78 C3887

attachicon.giff Barkston 55002 The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry York to Kings X May 78 C3888.jpg

Barkston 55002 The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry York to Kings X May 78 C3888

David

I think this shot of 55002 is likely to be a relief from Edinburgh, or possibly Newcastle. The only Mk1s in regular use on daytime ECML services at this time were formed into 8-coach sets, like the picture of 40108 above. Certainly 55002 did work a relief from Edinburgh on 30 May '78 according to Napier Chronicles. The fourth vehicle does look to be a Met-Cam ex Pullman, probably a PSP reclassified as an FO. The first class Pullmans had just finished their East Coast service on 5th May '78 in the reversed blue livery.

• RMweb Premium

The first shot of Gargrave is a cracker. The detail in the station is wonderful, just look at that oil lamp in the station lamop in the foreground, the steps, and the platform trolley stored incorrectly so it could wander towards the track....

Hellifield is such a bleak place, considering the countryside it sits in.

Priceless images again.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some really great photo's of Darlington and Weardale. I did not realise that the class 141's got as far as Darlington as seen in photo' C8522 on May, 23rd, 1987, of 141, 55518 + 55538.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

C486 - would love to have been sat in that BFK listening to the two 50s thrashing away to Glasgow. Might've been a bit chilly for open windows in March, but i bet you could even feel them powering up.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What great photo's of Crewe. I particularly like the last one of 40 215 Aquitania on an express passenger to Bangor, on the 5th February, 1972. Very atmospheric.

All the best,

Market65.