Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

C486 - would love to have been sat in that BFK listening to the two 50s thrashing away to Glasgow. Might've been a bit chilly for open windows in March, but i bet you could even feel them powering up.

Being a weekend, the service may have been diverted via the S&C for WCML electrification work. In which case, it would've passed my house and I'd be most likely watching it.... ( I copped all the 50's on S&C diversion duty)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photo's of Pilmoor. All are top quality views, and show a good variety of trains. In particular, I like J1208, with a class 45 on a service, in the snow, to Newcastle in January, 1968.  Also I like photo' J1325 of the Neptune System track recording car in June, 1968. It would make a model that would be rather different.

All the best,

Market65.

J1208 is something of a mystery, as in those days all Kings Cross to Newcastle services were 1Axx.

The headcode looks like 1N09, although frustratingly the last number has not been wound up properly in the panel. All 'N' headcodes from Kings Cross were services to Yorkshire, mainly Leeds, Bradford and Hull.

In my 1967/8 WTT, 1N09 was the 1020 Kings Cross to Leeds, Bradford and Hull; this split at Doncaster.

It can't be 1A09 as that was an up service, but it could be 1A08 although as that was the 0800 Kings Cross to Edinburgh, booked for a Deltic and on 100mph timings in 1968, it hardly seems right for it to be formed of 8 Mk1s including a BG and no obvious catering vehicle(s).

• RMweb Gold

J1208 is something of a mystery, as in those days all Kings Cross to Newcastle services were 1Axx.

The headcode looks like 1N09, although frustratingly the last number has not been wound up properly in the panel. All 'N' headcodes from Kings Cross were services to Yorkshire, mainly Leeds, Bradford and Hull.

In my 1967/8 WTT, 1N09 was the 1020 Kings Cross to Leeds, Bradford and Hull; this split at Doncaster.

It can't be 1A09 as that was an up service, but it could be 1A08 although as that was the 0800 Kings Cross to Edinburgh, booked for a Deltic and on 100mph timings in 1968, it hardly seems right for it to be formed of 8 Mk1s including a BG and no obvious catering vehicle(s).

Jonny,

Many thanks for the headcode information.  This one has always puzzled me as well, though I think I have at least one more Pilmoor photo with a similar headcode (but cannot find it at the moment).

It was probably taken in the afternoon as Dad usually worked on Saturday mornings.

Edit - It could be a mis identified Liverpool to Newcastle.   I think Dad usually identified his trains from the passenger tt, so a late running train could be given wrong identification.

2 more here with N headcodes.

post-5613-0-77112100-1437241682_thumb.jpg

Pilmoor Class 47 down ex pass June 67 J0924

post-5613-0-20875200-1437241679_thumb.jpg

Pilmoor Class 45 D19 Liverpool to Newcastle June 68 J1312

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

The picture of the two 37's at Crianlarich C6896 has what looks to be a diesel fuel pump at the end of the platform. Is this correct?

The last shot is a good view of the layout of the old Fort Bill station, as it shows what the photographers were standing on when they took those views looking towards the front of the station.

And All those locos on shed, including the tender of a black five. You just don't think of Fort Bill being that busy.

Cheers

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

The picture of the two 37's at Crianlarich C6896 has what looks to be a diesel fuel pump at the end of the platform. Is this correct?

The last shot is a good view of the layout of the old Fort Bill station, as it shows what the photographers were standing on when they took those views looking towards the front of the station.

And All those locos on shed, including the tender of a black five. You just don't think of Fort Bill being that busy.

Cheers

Andy G

I don't know about the Crianlarich photo, I'd assumed it was water for train heating boiler purposes.

This is a closer photo.

post-5613-0-69684400-1437242226_thumb.jpg

Crianlarich 37259 & 37121 excursion Newcastle to Fort William onthe return journey 11th May 85 C6897

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 11

I don't know about the Crianlarich photo, I'd assumed it was water for train heating boiler purposes.

This is a closer photo.

attachicon.gifa Crianlarich 37259 & 37121 excursion Newcastle to Fort William onthe return journey 11th May 85 C6897.jpg

Crianlarich 37259 & 37121 excursion Newcastle to Fort William onthe return journey 11th May 85 C6897

David

I'd go with the idea of it being water, not so much for train-heating, as for topping up the tenders of steam-hauled workings. Even as long ago as that photo was taken, I doubt there'd be a diesel 'pump' without some sort of facilities to reduce the risk of spillage.

p.s. we were on that train as well!

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Superb photo's of the West Highland line. I particularly like the one of Corrour Signal Box - a terrific design. Then I find myself in agreement about all the loco's to be seen in photo' C6874 at Fort William - five 37's a 20 and a Stanier steam loco'. Maybe the steam loco' was 45407?

All the best,

Market65.

J0924 - On Saturdays in June 1968 1N05 was the 0820 Kings Cross to Leeds, which also conveyed a portion, detached at Doncaster, for Filey holiday camp.

I have no NE WTTs mainly because my area of interest was concentrated further south, but I wonder if all the 'N' headcodes north of York are SW-NE services which duplicate headcodes of some of the services further south, that in reality will never meet each other?

I can find a 1N70 service, but it is a fast train from Doncaster to Hull.

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Superb photo's of the West Highland line. I particularly like the one of Corrour Signal Box - a terrific design. Then I find myself in agreement about all the loco's to be seen in photo' C6874 at Fort William - five 37's a 20 and a Stanier steam loco'. Maybe the steam loco' was 45407?

All the best,

Market65.

At the time I knew which steam loco it was but didn't write it down.  Now, of course, I can't remember.

David

• RMweb Premium

but I wonder if all the 'N' headcodes north of York are SW-NE services which duplicate headcodes of some of the services further south, that in reality will never meet each other?

From what i've seen/read, the 'N' headcodes could be inter-regional services to the NE Region, when it existed (not sure when it all became just Eastern)

e.g. the Ian Allan Headcodes book gives the usual E,S,O,V and M but N is there also

So not necessarily NE-SW services, but any inter-regionals which terminate in the NER?

The northbound KX trains with an 'N' seem to be bradford/leeds etc - were these in the ER or NER?

Though presumably the individual train numbers of services were not duplicated, so there would be no doubt which was a KX or regional train

Suddenly I realize that I really know very little about the UK scene - despite growing up with it!

At least I experienced British Railways from the early fifties until the late eighties.... The memory most etched into my tiny brain is the sound of Class 40’s toiling up to Brentwood in the middle of the night. Strange that, really, oh and the sound of unfitted freight stock setting off behind inexperienced Drivers. 

Cheers, Pete.

• Like 5

From what i've seen/read, the 'N' headcodes could be inter-regional services to the NE Region, when it existed (not sure when it all became just Eastern)

e.g. the Ian Allan Headcodes book gives the usual E,S,O,V and M but N is there also

So not necessarily NE-SW services, but any inter-regionals which terminate in the NER?

The northbound KX trains with an 'N' seem to be bradford/leeds etc - were these in the ER or NER?

Though presumably the individual train numbers of services were not duplicated, so there would be no doubt which was a KX or regional train

Yes, although it was slightly more complicated than that on the ECML as we have discussed before, because the main line used the code 'A' for all inter-regional services which terminated on the ECML. This is important because it applied to both up and down services; the only difference between them were up services had odd numbers and down services had even, commencing with nought after midnight each day for the down services and about 0700 for the up, presumably so that slight errors in the windings of headcodes did not result in two seemingly identical headcodes running in both directions.

In this case, inter-regional applies to the Scottish, North Eastern and Eastern Regions.

(At least that seems to have been the theory but in the up direction, but for some reason the 0855 from Hull was 1A07).

Hence 1A00 was the 0005 Kings Cross to Newcastle, 1A01 was the 0800 Newcastle to Kings Cross, 1A02 was the 0100 Kings Cross to Newcastle. 1A03 and 1A05 did arrive at Kings Cross in sequence, but because they stopped at a number of intermediate stations to York and were overtaken by 1A01, they actually started from Newcastle earlier at 0725 and 0755 respectively.

All this was swept away around 1969, when the NER was abolished and headcodes changed.

• Like 2

Some more photos from the West Highland line today.

attachicon.gifp Mallaig Junction 11th May 85 C6876.jpg

Mallaig Junction 11th May 85 C6876

David

I have an album on flickr of this trip

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/sets/72157626979655495/

The view of the shed involved Dave, my brother in law Peter and I negotiating a field full of cows! One of us wasn't too keen and I'm not bothered by cows so it wasn't me!!!

Ernie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have an album on flickr of this trip

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/sets/72157626979655495/

The view of the shed involved Dave, my brother in law Peter and I negotiating a field full of cows! One of us wasn't too keen and I'm not bothered by cows so it wasn't me!!!

Ernie

I don't mind cows either!

David

• Like 1

The first batch for today are from the early years of  preservation at the Keighley and Worth Valley.

attachicon.gifa Keighley train in platform. Note early ticket office on right July 68 J1339.jpg

Keighley train in platform. Note early ticket office on right July 68 J1339

attachicon.gifa Keighley Keighley 41241 shunting stock to loop July 68 J1335.jpg

Keighley 41241 shunting stock to loop July 68 J1335

attachicon.gifa Keighley 41241 climbing bank, from train July 68 J1342.jpg

Keighley 41241 climbing bank, from train July 68 J1342

attachicon.gifj Oakworth 41241 leaving for Haworth July 68 J1374.jpg

Oakworth 41241 leaving for Haworth July 68 J1374

attachicon.gifs Haworth ex L&Y Pug 51218 in steam Aug 66 J603.jpg

Haworth ex L&Y Pug 51218 in steam Aug 66 J603

attachicon.gifs Haworth Fred Sept 70 C352.jpg

Haworth Fred Sept 70 C352

David

Many thanks for those as usual Dave.

They bring back memories of my first trip to the KWVR, we stayed in a B &B half way up the hill in Haworth. The bog was an Elsan!

I don't remember the Austerity in that livery, but we had the USA tank in a yellow (Stroudley?) livery with "Worth Valley" on the sides. Made a lovely noise pulling up the valley.

I also remember being fascinated by the remnants of the GNR line to Keighley, I'd no idea that such a thing existed, but was only 15 or 16 at the time.

Ed

I like the liveries that they painted the stock in,the blue and cream coach looks good anybody know why they did this?

It is mentioned earlier in the thread; something about it being a condition of sale from BR. I don't know about 'Improved Engine Green'; the USA tank reminded my of the ' First nappy after solids' used by Leyland on things like Marinas and Allegros..

• RMweb Gold

It is mentioned earlier in the thread; something about it being a condition of sale from BR. I don't know about 'Improved Engine Green'; the USA tank reminded my of the ' First nappy after solids' used by Leyland on things like Marinas and Allegros..

I've been trying to find out more about this, it may well have been a condition of sale by BR.  Also, as mentioned earlier in the thread it helped differentiate the early preserved railways from BR.

In "Worth Valley Revival", published by the Preservation Society in 1983 there is a reference on Page 38 to liveries.  In April 1965 it was decided that authentic liveries should be applied to historic locomotives and coaches but not to the remainder.  No attempt was made at the time to decided which locos and stock fitted each category, nor was there a decision on the livery to apply to non historic vehicles, that was left to the Society's Council to decide.

The Metroplitan coaches were painted Brittania Blue and Primrose Yellow, too much work was needed on the coaches to consider a teak finish at the time.  The paint was to preserve the vehicles from further deterioration.

Some vehicles (mainly coaches) ran in their original livery for some time in order not to spend money for the sake of it.

Obviously things have a changed a lot since those very early days.

David