Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Trains at Peascliffe Tunnel, just north of Grantham for today.

For some reason I have very few photos taken here on sunny days.  

Some geographically challenged folk, might say that's cos it's 'Grim up Norf'.......

Off and runnin' :mosking:

• Like 1

1E01 was the 08:00 Edinburgh-KX

J2469 would have been the 11:00 KX-Newcastle

1L13 was the 11:30 KX-Harrogate. The formation indicates it's the Saturday train (2 extra TSO's at the front).

Isn't C3278 a down train? If not, it is running in reverse order.

• RMweb Gold

1E01 was the 08:00 Edinburgh-KX

J2469 would have been the 11:00 KX-Newcastle

1L13 was the 11:30 KX-Harrogate. The formation indicates it's the Saturday train (2 extra TSO's at the front).

Isn't C3278 a down train? If not, it is running in reverse order.

Thanks again Mark.

C3278 is a down train, I just captioned it incorrectly, doing it too quickly as usual with Copy and Paste and no thought.

The December 1970 photos would have been taken on a Saturday.

David

Some geographically challenged folk, might say that's cos it's 'Grim up Norf'.......

Off and runnin' :mosking:

You should try living down sarf! Force ten gales this week, found someones tv aerial outside our garage and we all have each others food waste bins again!

Edited by mullie

Photos of trains at Abbot's Ripton and Peterborough for today.

As always just the everyday trains which happened to pass while I was there with a camera.

attachicon.gifp Peterborough 31219 and ano Skegness to Kings Cross 27th July 74 C1712.jpg

Peterborough 31219 and ano Skegness to Kings Cross 27th July 74 C1712

attachicon.gifp Peterborough 31101 pass to Skegness 27th July 74 C1717.jpg

Peterborough 31101 pass to Skegness 27th July 74 C1717

attachicon.gifp Peterborough Class 105 Norwich to Peterborough 27th July 74 C1726.jpg

Peterborough Class 105 Norwich to Peterborough 27th July 74 C1726

attachicon.gifm Abbots Ripton Class 47 up ecs July 75 C2192.jpg

Abbots Ripton Class 47 up ecs July 75 C2192

attachicon.gifm Abbots Ripton Class 47 Leeds to Kings X July 75 C2195.jpg

Abbots Ripton Class 47 08.50  York to Kings X July 75 C2195

David

The pic of 31 101 on the down working, assuming it is the Skegness train, would suggest that as this was an out and back working for a Finsbury Park loco, the later shot of the up train with 31 219 and AN other would also be 31 101. It would be unusual for it to have acquired another loco along the way unless there was a failure, in which case 31 101 would have been trailing the second loco and not leading.

It suggests that at least one of those trains isn't the Skeggy train.

• RMweb Gold

After I passed out as a relief driver at Kings Cross, the first loco I did a conversion on was the Class 31's. The week after I learnt them I was booked as the D/A on KX turn 112/212 SO, 0015 on to work 1N00, 01.00 to Leeds. This was a solid class 31 turn at that time, so I was on the ball with them. Good job as out of the 4 days I worked the job, we failed 3 times, all with 31's and all of the failures were not in the "Faults & failures for 31's manual". One was fault lights wired up wrong so they couldn't show a fault when one existed. Another was water header tank sight glass isolated with the handles put on the wrong way so you didn't notice it unless you really looked carefully. The remaining failure was a split lub oil pipe to the Woodward governor on the engine. The didn't show up with the engine idling, but as soon as you  went to power up, they oil pressure forced open the split and oil pi**ed out. You only spotted it when stood in the engine room whilst power was applied. This last failure happened at Abbots Ripton (I got there in the end), and I had to walk forward to lay down detonator protection, and then go on to meet the assisting engine. By the time it arrived I'd got as far as Wood Walton, and almost to Connington. I can attest to how windy and cold that length of track could be, even on a June morning.

With regards to the Freightliner restrictions, I believe it was to do with the fact that under some of the bridges between Sandy and Huntingdon, when the geometry of the fast lines was altered to get 125 MPH running, the clearances for the boxy containers was not considered adequate. I can't remember if the 8'6" containers had also started to appear around that time. On the down I think it was the skew overbridge just after St Neots station, the B4103 Huntingdon Road, that caused the problem there. In the Up direction I believe it was a couple of the bridges just north of Sandy that caused the problems on the Up Fast. Most of these would have been rebuilt for when electrification came. As well as these restrictions, there were other freightliner restrictions for individual bridges, something that got even worse when the 8'6"x 8'6" containers came into being and even worse with 9' containers, although the last had to have special wagons to carry them. Even to this day there are a few restrictions on certain lines, and when i retired in 2010, loaded freightliner wagons were not permitted to run between Shrewsbury and Wrexham, except those strange low tarpaulin covered coil carrying containers used for a while by EWS.

With regards to trains being slowed down by the wind, I experienced it a couple of times between Newport and Cardiff, whilst working a Class 108 power and trailer B9xx set. They had a notorious reputation among Hereford drivers for being under powered and poorly maintained, and with a good westerly wind against you, you would struggle to get the unit into 4th gear/above 40MPH on the level between Newport and Cardiff. We were not sorry to see the back of them.

Paul J.

I once worked a 3-car class 120 set to Bristol from Cardiff, with all four engines working, that could barely manage 40mph on the Gwent levels, and the driver had to keep changing down to third and back up to fourth all the time.  It struggled in third on the climb out of the Severn Tunnel. and had no hope of timing the train.  This was the 05.20 am first Bristol, with hardly any passengers and mostly traincrew returning on the cushions, so not heavily loaded either.  I had little experience of 31s, which were only beginning to turn up in South Wales towards the end of my railway career, but managed to fail twice with them, one tripping out as soon as pawer was applied on a train of empty bogie bolsters heading for Cardiff Tidal that was a back working from Gloucester; it was abandoned at Severn Tunnel and replaced with a 37, and one that ran out of fuel at Nantyderry between Abergavenny and Pontypool road, with a Hereford driver.  This gave me a long walk back to the box to protect; fortunately it was a fine summer morning with the sun just coming up, and not unpleasant!  But it coloured my opinion of 31s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of Peascliffe Tunnel. A lovely selection of views, and it is great to see Deltics at work on express passenger trains just as they were designed for. The first photo of 9021 is particularly good, and is a classic view of a Deltic hauled train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Gold

You should try living down sarf! Force ten gales this week, found someones tv aerial outside our garage and we all have each others food waste bins again!

In our street, the wheelie bins all make a bid for freedom when it's windy, and, as I'm in the house at the bottom end, I get the lot.  Most of the houses are in flats, so there are anything up to half a dozen wheelies to each house...  my neighbour's dog was out in it's garden running up and down barking like a lunatic at the wind in the trees, when a tree got fed up with it and threw a branch at it.  It ran and fetched it, and waited for some time for the tree to throw it again.  Little things like that really cheer me up!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

J2468:  According to the Chronicles of Napier, 9021 worked 1E01 on Saturday 5th December 1970. Nothing recorded for 12th December. On 19th it worked 1S84, a King's Cross - Edinburgh relief, and on 26th it worked 1E07, 10:10 Edinburgh - King's Cross.

J2471:  No record of 9008 working 1L13 during December 1970 (there's only actually seven workings recorded that whole month) and on Saturday 5th December it was recorded as working 1E17 10:30 Aberdeen - King's Cross, from Edinburgh. Nothing for 12th or 19th. On Saturday 26th it worked 1E11, 12:00 Edinburgh - King's Cross.

If both of those photos were taken on the same day, then it can't be 5th or 26th. Possibly 12th or, depending upon what time 1S84 ran north, it could be 19th, after 9021 had arrived on 1E01 and been serviced and fuelled. I've checked my notes and have no sighting of either on those dates, so I can't shed any more light on which it might be, I'm afraid.

• RMweb Gold

J2468:  According to the Chronicles of Napier, 9021 worked 1E01 on Saturday 5th December 1970. Nothing recorded for 12th December. On 19th it worked 1S84, a King's Cross - Edinburgh relief, and on 26th it worked 1E07, 10:10 Edinburgh - King's Cross.

J2471:  No record of 9008 working 1L13 during December 1970 (there's only actually seven workings recorded that whole month) and on Saturday 5th December it was recorded as working 1E17 10:30 Aberdeen - King's Cross, from Edinburgh. Nothing for 12th or 19th. On Saturday 26th it worked 1E11, 12:00 Edinburgh - King's Cross.

If both of those photos were taken on the same day, then it can't be 5th or 26th. Possibly 12th or, depending upon what time 1S84 ran north, it could be 19th, after 9021 had arrived on 1E01 and been serviced and fuelled. I've checked my notes and have no sighting of either on those dates, so I can't shed any more light on which it might be, I'm afraid.

It was probably the twelfth as I have some photos of the same trains, so must have been back at home from University.  It seems to have been the first weekend Dad that took photos that month, so probably not the 19th.

David

• RMweb Gold

Conversely, I found that the sun usually shone at High Dyke.................................... :scratchhead:

It wasn't too hard for me to get photos in sunshine there, I lived a few minutes away and drove under the bridge twice a day.

David

• RMweb Gold

I don't think that one is 528 as there is no sign of any eth equipment.  The number looks like it might be either 472xx or 473xx.

You could well be right, I have lost my original notes for the period so I'm not sure if I wrote down the numbers at the time or worked them out from the original slides as I catalogued them.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Kent and East Sussex photos. It's interesting to see the railway in its relatively early days.

What lovely photos of Swayfield. It's interesting to see three 31's running LE in the last photo. And, again, it's good to see the Deltics doing what they were designed for - working on express passenger trains.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

1A14 was the 09:25SX Leeds or 08:53SO Bradford to Kings Cross. Rear 3 coaches were 08:30 Halifax portion

1S42 was the 16:00 KX-Edinburgh - The Talisman. The extra TSO at the front suggests the Saturday train.

1L34 was the 17:30 KX-Bradford. Rear 3 coaches were Halifax portion. Usually Deltic hauled.

1E17 was the 10:35 Aberdeen-KX - The Aberdonian. It would normally have Deltic haulage. The formation suggests the SX train.

1A14 was the 09:25SX Leeds or 08:53SO Bradford to Kings Cross. Rear 3 coaches were 08:30 Halifax portion

1S42 was the 16:00 KX-Edinburgh - The Talisman. The extra TSO at the front suggests the Saturday train.

1L34 was the 17:30 KX-Bradford. Rear 3 coaches were Halifax portion. Usually Deltic hauled.

1E17 was the 10:35 Aberdeen-KX - The Aberdonian. It would normally have Deltic haulage. The formation suggests the SX train.

Hello Mark,

As a aside, sorry Dave, do you know what loco's would be used on the Halifax portions?

I'm assuming they split/joined at Bradford, and therefore most likely Sulzer type 2?

Rgds,

• RMweb Gold

J2953.

You've got at least 2 of the Brush 2's wrongly numbered Dave.

Mike.

Where the second digit was 7 it should be 5, now amended - my typing yet again.

David

Staying on the ECML for another day we'll make a quick visit to Swayfield to see what was running on various dates in 1972.

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 47 1775 up Jan 72 J2811.jpg

Swayfield Class 47 1775 up Jan 72 J2811

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 55 9012 down May 72 J2918.jpg

Swayfield Class 55 9012 down May 72 J2918

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 46 190 downJune 72 J2951.jpg

Swayfield Class 46  190 down June 72 J2951

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 47 1508 up June 72 J2952.jpg

Swayfield Class 47 1508 up June 72 J2952

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 31s 5777 5626 5787 down le June 72 J2953.jpg

Swayfield Class 31s 5577 5626 5587 down le June 72 J2953

David

Wonderful ECML photos today, thanks for sharing.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mark,

As a aside, sorry Dave, do you know what loco's would be used on the Halifax portions?

I'm assuming they split/joined at Bradford, and therefore most likely Sulzer type 2?

Rgds,

post-5471-0-22308300-1497211775_thumb.jpg

5112. 2L57. Doncaster. 12.4.71.

Not sure if this is the same portion of the same train, but it's the end bit of a KX - WY train which split at Doncaster.

Mike.

• Like 18