Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

great stuff - i like how they retained the named platform lights, presumably only changed the cover.

As I remember, they were complete replacements - albeit with similar lanterns (there's probably not a lot that you can do with a fluorescent strip!). IIRC, the concrete post variant used to have the station name in capitals, whereas the later steel column variant had the names in rail alphabet.

There is another unit behind the 114, don't suppose anyone wants to tell us what it is?....

Dave

The body profile looks different to the 114, and as it looks like a 2 car, I'd hazard a guess at a Cravens.

Great pictures (as always) of Grantham. Reminds of the time in summer 1976 when, on an East Midlands Railrover, me and a friend had a break in the station buffet at Grantham. In those days smoking was acceptable in such places, and my friend went to knock the ash of his cigarette into the ash tray.  However he was distracted and used my (open) bag of crisps instead ! I was not happy.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's of Troon and Stranraer Harbour. In the second photo', I've found myself admiring the cars, and thinking that they don't make them like that anymore. And the last photo' has quite a bit of detail in it which might be useful for modelling.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Great photos, always provoking questions... 

J3840: what was the story with the class 126 (an under-photographed type of DMU) with some of them having a corridor end and some looking like a Swindon cross-country unit?

J3034: interesting angled water gauges.  The fireman must be careful how he swings his shovel...  

Bill

AberdeenBill, the first examples of the Swindon InterCity set [not strictly 126s but identical to them] ran between Birmingham and Swansea with one unit not running beyond Cardiff.  The thinking appears to have been that passengers in the whole train could access the buffet car but six cars were not necessary for the whole run.  There must have been occasions when the two non-gangwayed ends were marshalled together in the middle of the train.  By 1959 the Inter-City sets had been transferred to Scotland.  They and the 126s proper were the only units to have the white circle coupling code.

Chris 

Today has been quite a busy day, soon my loft will be tidy without any junk.

The photos for today are from Scotland on the Glasgow and South Western. They were taken mainly in 1974 in Troon and at Stranraer Harbour.

attachicon.gifTroon Class 126 Glasgow C to Ayr July 74 J3840.jpg

Troon Class 126 Glasgow C to Ayr July 74 J3840

attachicon.gifTroon harbour branch bridge over B674 July 74 J3938.jpg

Troon harbour branch bridge over B674 July 74 J3938

attachicon.gifStranraer harbour Class 27 April 70 C211.jpg

Stranraer harbour Class 27 April 70 C211

attachicon.gifStranraer Harbour July 74 J3833.jpg

Stranraer Harbour July 74 J3833

attachicon.gifStranraer Harbour July 74 J3834.jpg

Stranraer Harbour July 74 J3834

David

Thanks for sharing the Troon Photographs with us, Troon is a bit of a home from home from me as I have a caravan at Prestwick.  The Harbour branch has been completely obliterated and without some historical knowledge would be hard to trace.  Here is the view today, only the gable end of the tenement gives the point of reference.

post-188-0-28780100-1504461234_thumb.jpg

Would love to see more if you have them

Jim

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing the Troon Photographs with us, Troon is a bit of a home from home from me as I have a caravan at Prestwick.  The Harbour branch has been completely obliterated and without some historical knowledge would be hard to trace.  Here is the view today, only the gable end of the tenement gives the point of reference.

attachicon.giftroontoday.JPG

Would love to see more if you have them

Jim

It's certainly changed a bit!

I do have a few more photos of Troon but cannot remember exactly what they show.

They are still in the queue to get photoshopped and captioned as they were (if my memory is right) taken in the later 1980s.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ffestiniog photos. Such a great little line. So well captured in the photos.

The GEML photos are such gems. A lovely set of level crossing gates to be seen in the first photo at Church Lane LC. And I'm not quite sure what the 37 is doing in C3687 - it looks like steam is bursting forth from the rear bogie. And in the last photo it is interesting to see all those piles of sand.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

The Ffestiniog in August 1970; I was there!  In fact, I am very probably serving in the little shop at Dduallt just out of frame to the right of C 242.  The previous shot, J3034, definitely features General Manager Alan Garraway in the driver's seat; Linda was 'his' engine.

A real treat the last couple of days, with those evocative Troon shots, the Festiniog and then back on the GE!

An observation, to correct your records, David:  C4599 is 37 107 (not 109).

Thanks, as always, for sharing yours and your dad's wonderful pictures.

• Like 1

Now we have some photos on the Great Eastern main line in the 1970s.

attachicon.gifBoreham Class 37 down parcels Oct 74 J4068.jpg

Boreham Class 37 down parcels Oct 74 J4068

David

Looks as though the sand train from Marks Tey to London had come to grief approaching the loop. From the mid-1960s, for about a decade, freight train derailments were relatively frequent on Britain's railways; it was fairly common to see wagons abandoned at the foot of embankments or, as in this photo, their loads scattered over the lineside.

• RMweb Gold

Great photos, always provoking questions... 

J3840: what was the story with the class 126 (an under-photographed type of DMU) with some of them having a corridor end and some looking like a Swindon cross-country unit?

J3034: interesting angled water gauges.  The fireman must be careful how he swings his shovel...  

Bill

Judging by the firebox door I have the strong impression that a shovel wouldn't have been of much use to the Fireman on that engine ;)

• RMweb Premium

J3840 class 126 vehicles were: DMBS (full width cab at outer end and brake van at the inner end), TC and DMS (with end gangway).

The b/g vehicle is one of the original 79xxx 'intermediate' DMBS with a gangway and brake van at the outer end

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Radcliffe on Trent photos. I can't help but notice that someone has scraped out the wording 'Big Ben' on the snow covered platform, and that in the second photo, the snow is already thawing away quite quickly. Also, in the second photo, the class 114 DTCL has oval buffer faces.

With warmest regards,

Rob.