Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

I'm a bit behind this week but, looking at Wednesday's images, one thing that struck me was how ancient the motor vehicles in C12117 look, considering that it's a 1989 shot. My memory mis-remembers, thinking that we were much more modern by then. 😄

Edited by 35A
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, DaveF said:

Now for a quick look at the Braintree branch which runs from Witham on the GE main line to Braintree.  As you will see from the last two photos it is now electrified.

271593726_nWhiteNotleydmuBraintreetoWithamDestinationWoolwichtaillampatfrontApril75C1964.jpg.ef0766309eac33b4b0c27d15e4794057.jpg

White Notley dmu Braintree to Witham Destination Woolwich tail lamp at front April 75 C1964

702694552_nWhiteNotleyBraintreetoWithamApril75C1965.jpg.0f69f2735001cb75dbddab8f8b8d2929.jpg

White Notley Braintree to Witham April 75 C1965

607911390_pCressingdmuWithamtoBraintreenotedestinationDEPOTApril75C1962.jpg.b2a843225237881402fc10d76ba22ae4.jpg

Cressing dmu Witham to Braintree note destination DEPOT April 75 C1962

1465336313_pCressingdmuWithamtoBraintreeApril75C1963.jpg.edad611f950f3c91c210b95833fbcc93.jpg

Cressing dmu Witham to Braintree April 75 C1963

1708707582_qBraintree3050515arrivingSept78C4134.jpg.d15b21ff212b81070ae30088e64decc1.jpg

Braintree 3050515 arriving Sept 78 C4134

2057717140_qBraintreeStationMay79C4569.jpg.fc92ea37a46f094ac2dd25b7eccaf374.jpg

Braintree Station May 79 C4569

David

Hello,

Great photo's as ever, thanks for all your effort in providing us all with such great shots. Out of interest, what's the light blue coloured box for on the pole in C1964 for, does anyone know please ?

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, bmb5dnp1 said:

.... Out of interest, what's the light blue coloured box for on the pole in C1964 for, does anyone know please ?

Dave

My guess is the box houses 'block repeaters' to show when a train is "on line", probably for a gateman to see that the line is "clear" so the gates can be opened.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

C9238 isn’t 37428; the 37/4s were all in large logo blue from refurbishment. 37248 perhaps? The right numbers but not necessarily in the right order? (with apologies to Eric Morecambe). 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, The Pilotman said:

C9238 isn’t 37428; the 37/4s were all in large logo blue from refurbishment. 37248 perhaps? The right numbers but not necessarily in the right order? (with apologies to Eric Morecambe). 

Many thanks.

Definitely an Eric Morecambe moment!

David

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Carlisle from the 1980’s. The first photo’ of 86258, Talyllyn, on a Glasgow to Euston service, on the 23rd October, 1984, is a superb portrait shot of the locomotive.

The photo’s of the WCML, at Standon Bridge, in June, 1976, are a superb selection, and in the last photo’ of 304 038, on a down passenger service, is an excellent shot, and about all the door drop lights are lowered showing just how hot the weather was. 

In the photo’s of Cramlington, which are a delightful set, the first photo’ of Cramlington South, with a two car class 101, on a Newcastle to Morpeth service, in August, 1980, is an excellent shot which shows that transitional period between the white refurbished livery to the blue and grey livery of those units that received the refurbishment work. 

Finally, the photo’s of Edinburgh, of Princes Street Gardens, with two taken from a train passing Haymarket shed, are an atmospheric set. C7431, at Princes Street Gardens, with 37033, on a down excursion train, on the 12th April, 1986, shows a superb view of the 37 in the classic surroundings. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, iands said:

My guess is the box houses 'block repeaters' to show when a train is "on line", probably for a gateman to see that the line is "clear" so the gates can be opened.

Hello 

Thanks for the reply and Information. I thought it might have been something like that for PW staff etc but I've not seen anything like it before. 

Thanks

Dave

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Davexoc said:

There's just something about this one that really I like..........

I thought that too! Perhaps it's the photo's composition, with the rails below and wires above emphasising the speed. It could be an advertising image.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, bmb5dnp1 said:

Hello,

Great photo's as ever, thanks for all your effort in providing us all with such great shots. Out of interest, what's the light blue coloured box for on the pole in C1964 for, does anyone know please ?

Dave

5 hours ago, bmb5dnp1 said:

Hello 

Thanks for the reply and Information. I thought it might have been something like that for PW staff etc but I've not seen anything like it before. 

Thanks

Dave

I've had a long about these indicators at level crossings.  I think I've also seen them on the Norringham - Grantham - Skegness line and possibly on the Harrogate - York line - but it would have been back in the early to mid 1960s.

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, iands said:

I certainly recall exactly that at Brockham Crossing, between Betchworth and Deepdene. Very useful also for pedestrians using the crossing, which had gates normally across the road. 

There must have been similar facilities at Pevensey Sluice Crossing, on the Eastbourne-Hastings line. During preparatory work for conversion to AHB a colleague (Rules & Signalling Section) had made a site visit. He came in the next day and discussed the road layout, etc. He also noted that the crossing-keeper "insisted on showing me his indicators." The Head of Section asked "Did you show him your indicators, John?" John, like our host here, was a great railway photographer, and his collection is now held by the Bluebell. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, bmb5dnp1 said:

Hello 

Thanks

Dave

You're welcome. At the risk of hijacking Dave Fs thread and risking drifting off topic, there were several other examples at the crossings on the stretch of line between Spalding and Sleaford. As well as the previously mentioned York-Harrogate line, Burn Lane (on the former section of ECML between Selby-Templehirst) had a set of block repeater indicators but used in a slightly different way. The crossing had a 'permanent' crossing keeper (the lady of the house) who lived in the house adjacent to the crossing. On her days off, a relief crossing keeper would be ensconced in the gate hut, but when she was on duty she worked the crossing "from the house" (the concept of working from home is not so new after all). Anyone wanting to cross over the line, pushed a plunger that rang a loud sounding bell (an official description) on back wall of the house by the back door, below which was a pair of block indicators similar to what is in Dave's photo above, which saved her time walking to the gate hut to view the indicators there.

Thinking about it, they must have been numerous examples all over the country in rural areas, just not something that warranted photographing if at all noticed by railway photographers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 62613 said:

Trying to remember what headcode 82 on the Kent Coast line was; I can remember them at Dartford.

Anything with a leading 8 on that route would be via Greenwich, although not necessarily stopping there. 7x would be via the Bexleyheath line, 6x would be via Woolwich and Lewisham ("The North Kent") and 4x and 5x were via Sidcup. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4