Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, JeffP said:

There always seemed to be either a 26 or a 27 stabled beside that wall at Carlisle.

Since they all worked out of Scotland, does anyone know why they were there?

I think there were Glasgow Central-Carlisle stoppers via the GSW route.

Maybe also trip goods or parcels?

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, keefer said:

Also in the late 80s to the end, DMU replacement services, an occasional Carlisle-Preston parcels, and some local freight and departmental workings.  A 26 was also frequently used on the Maxwelltown trip (26041's job for while in 1991/1992 at least: https://6lda.wordpress.com/test-history/26041d5341/ ) and some local MoD work.

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, keefer said:

I can't recall when regular Class 26/27 working ceased on the GSW route - perhaps the very early 80s - but I don't think locos on those turns would normally have stabled along the wall. They arrived in the northbound bays and were shunt released by an 08, heading back north on the next train.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
On 19/06/2023 at 16:29, Fat Controller said:

Was it all more-or-less at the same location? In which case, I would say it's part of a gas works. There are some interesting hoppers visible in some of the photos as well; are they former Liverpool Corporation wagone?

I can't see any in that set of hoppers. At this date most if not all the Liverpool, and the similar Manchester, Corporation hoppers were still doing their power station circuits, although post-war the trains were likely to have LNER and later BR hoppers mixed in. There is a Michael Delamar thread on here on these, but most of the photos are missing sadly. Some photos remain on this page though: 

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Lastly today photos from visits to Hellifield in 1966 and 1973.

mHellifieldBRClass44-6-075019upgoodsSept66J634.jpg.1ccd837389c7e4386cb411b0e912e842.jpg

Hellifield BR Class 4 4-6-0 75019 up goods Sept 66 J634

mHellifieldBRClass44-6-075019upgoodsSept66J636.jpg.b61145664cb696090f32b8fd39ea58fb.jpg

Hellifield BR Class 4 4-6-0 75019 up goods Sept 66 J636

David

The first wagon is one of the Iron ore hoppers converted to Clinker traffic, diag 1/175 that worked to Workington. A couple of 13ton hoppers at the end. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I can't recall when regular Class 26/27 working ceased on the GSW route - perhaps the very early 80s - but I don't think locos on those turns would normally have stabled along the wall. They arrived in the northbound bays and were shunt released by an 08, heading back north on the next train.

Thanks - I have to admit I didn't know the workings in any detail, just that it might have been a reason for the locos being there!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful set of photo’s of Carlisle, from the 1980’s. In C6622, of 27023, on the 23rd October, you have taken an excellent portrait shot of the locomotive.

The photo’s of where the line from Ely to March crosses the New Bedford River (or Hundred Foot Drain), plus the photo’ of Sharpness Docks are an excellent selection. In the last photo’ at Sharpness docks, in April, 1973, you have a fascinating view, and that’s a most interesting signal on the left, plus the intriguing Fire Station. I don’t recall seeing a Fire Station like that before.

That’s a superb set of photo’s of Drei Annen Hohne, on the Harzquerbahn, in Germany, in August, 1992. In the first photo’ of 99 7244, adding coaches to the Wernigerode to Nordhausen train, on the 6th August, 1992, that is a splendid three quarter shot of the locomotive. 

Finally, the photo’s of Hellifield in 1966 and 1973, are a splendid selection. In J638, of BR Class 4, 4-6-0, 75042, on an up breakdown train, in September, 1966, it is great shot of the locomotive running tender first. Again, these 1966 photo’s show how steam was being rundown by then. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Tsk. C1037. Sloppy headcode setting (unless it had slipped, through vibration). Should be 1B13 outward and 1C15 on the return at that time - although they did later change to 1B69 and 1C18.

Lovely images, as always - you've got me trying to identify the aircraft in C1038, now.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DaveF said:

NewBedfordRiverClass376756HarwichtoPeterboroughAug72C1038.jpg.a7e7d60185e9a4a54acba548a43b3f8e.jpg

New Bedford River Class 37 6756 Harwich to Peterborough Aug 72 C1038

Wondering what the aircraft is in this one - looks like a Vickers Varsity or Viking to me, is that possible in 1972? Were they still in service then?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

I'm sure they were flying from RAF Oakington, for years beyond that date. Saw them every day when living in Cambridge and St.Ivs.

Thanks Stewart - I didn't move to Cambridgeshire until the early 90s, so I missed Alconbury, Oakington and Wyton in their full glory. An Oakington Varsity (if that's what is is) would make sense for where the photo was taken - thanks for the info!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

I'm sure they were flying from RAF Oakington, for years beyond that date. Saw them every day when living in Cambridge and St.Ives.

49 minutes ago, billy_anorak59 said:

Thanks Stewart - I didn't move to Cambridgeshire until the early 90s, so I missed Alconbury, Oakington and Wyton in their full glory. An Oakington Varsity (if that's what is is) would make sense for where the photo was taken - thanks for the info!

My first ever flight, in anything, was in a Varsity at Oakington on a CCF field day in late 1970.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Actually, that looks like a spiffing diorama cameo layout.....

Model it on a Sunday and ten pairs of 20s wouldn't be amiss - with a few 56s thrown in for good measure. In the middle of nowhere, nobody around, walk where you like...

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Model it on a Sunday and ten pairs of 20s wouldn't be amiss - with a few 56s thrown in for good measure. In the middle of nowhere, nobody around, walk where you like...

Sunday day's out - Tinsley, Healey Mills, Westhouses (maybe not in that order) - of course Healey Mills was not one to sneak around so it was binoculars out on the hill and Tinsley was binoculars one side and avoid the horses on the other.

Sneaking a look around the wall a Penistone for any 76s, mooching around Reddish and walking to the hut at Guide Bridge for the list of engines.  I do remember looking around Longsight diesel, I am sure my dad got permission before we wandered amongst the DMUs.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I do remember looking around Longsight diesel, I am sure my dad got permission before we wandered amongst the DMUs.

Those were the days... One depot that was supposedly always difficult if not impossible to get permission for was Crewe Diesel. A friend and I tried one day, going straight to the foreman's office and expecting to note only what we saw before being thrown out. But he said yes to us... then saw another couple of lads who had clearly sneaked in and immediately threw them out! 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1