RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

In the second photo there are the remains of track coming in on the left , what were they and how different the yard looks today.

I think it was originally part of the yard, but I only ever saw it in that stae.  Just to the west was the coal mine at Millerhill. named Monktonhall.  It closed fully in 1997.

David

I love the LYR map - it acknowledges the LNWR and the Midland to get to London whilst at the same time ignores the fact there are other ways to get across the Pennines or to Liverpool.

Passenger at Victoria station to ticket office "I'd like to go to Stalybridge", "Where?" they reply "Never heard of it".

Would love to have seen the LNWR have their own in Exchange omitting much of the LYR.

When was the map put up, there must have been a point where the LYR and LNWR had stopped expanding, I assume when was put up the LNWR Leeds line was open.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, keefer said:

I thought more like an RB, so maybe M1643?

The corridor side of an RKB had pairs of windows between the doors:

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/Coaches/CS0201.jpg

Tbh, I was going purely off the number and I hesitated as to whether it was 1543 or 1643.

The reason I went with 1543 over 1643 was that I thought the Glasgow trains usually had a full kitchen RKB, that lasted until replaced by Mk3 RFB in the 80s together with the increase in running speed from 100 to 110mph, which required an all-Mk3 set (bar brake van).

If it is indeed an RB, then my apologies, but I hope you can appreciate my reasoning - flawed as it may be!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Bit ate to the party on this one.

C4208 - the DEMU is passing Filston Lane OB just south of Polhill Tunnel southern portal between Dunton Green & Knockholt.

Used to be  a good shot until NR's poor vegetation management have allowed the bushes on that corner of the bridge to spring up. Good pub just down the road 👍

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I must apologise about missing yesterday, but I went down with a bad migraine - I tend to get a few of them at this time of year.

So, to catch up on yesterday’s photo’s first. That’s a lovely set of photo’s of Church Lane crossing. The last photo’ of a Class 47, on a Liverpool St. to Norwich service, in July, 1979, in a superb composition of a typical GE express of that era.

Now, the photo’s from Scotland, with some general views at Millerhill, and one at Markinch, are a fascinating selection. C7914, at Millerhill, looking north, on the 21st August, 1986, being particularly superb showing how big it all was there.

The photo’s of Crewe in 1971 and 1972, are truly superb. In C0807, with Class 86, E3146, on a Liverpool Lime St. to Euston service, at 11.14 a.m., on Saturday, 5th February , 1972, being an excellent shot of the locomotive.

Finally, for yesterday’s photo’s, the photo’s of Fenny Compton and Four Oaks, are a remarkable set. In J2724, at Fenny Compton, with a  Class 47, 1720, on up train of Ford cars, in July, 1971, your Dad has taken a great photo’ and it is powerful, scene with the exhaust from the 47.

Now onto today’s photo’s, and that’s a tremendous selection of the Blyth and Tyne at Freeman's crossing, Cambois and North Blyth in November and December 2016. In BSC_2131, at Freemans crossing, with 66712, on the 15th November, 2016, on a train of empties to Blyth harbour, you have taken a delightful shot as the 66 edges past box and crossing.

That is a lovely set of photo’s of Lancaster in 1972, plus various dates at Manchester Victoria. In C11707, at Manchester Victoria, with 142008, on the 18th March, 1989, you have quite a contrast between the 142 and the old station. 

The assortment of black and white photo’s, of the Southern, LMS and Great Western in London, and one from Exeter, are simply excellent. In JVol3123, at London Victoria, of a Victoria to Dover boat train leaving, in c1952, your Dad has taken a delightful photo’, and captured a woman waving to someone as the train departs.

So, finally, for today, the photo’s of Newark, on the ECML and Midland lines are a superb set. In the last one of a Swindon Class 120, on a Lincoln to Crewe service, in October, 1977, you have a well composed shot of the unit passing over the bridge.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 01/10/2023 at 16:03, DaveF said:

CreweClass86E3181upRoyalScot13thMarch71C492.jpg.f14217645daf43fc936cadee422b804e.jpg

Crewe Class 86 E3181 up Royal Scot 13th March 71 C492

1 hour ago, hexagon789 said:

The reason I went with 1543 over 1643 was that I thought the Glasgow trains usually had a full kitchen RKB, that lasted until replaced by Mk3 RFB in the 80s together with the increase in running speed from 100 to 110mph, which required an all-Mk3 set (bar brake van)

I hadn't really paid attention to the fact that it's a WCML train, never mind the fact it's The Royal Scot!

That made me think of alternatives and I was mistaken. It's not an RB but an RB(K) - similar to an RB but converted from the dia.17 RF coaches that the LMR insisted on having. 

I was remembering the RB were numbered in the 16xx/17xx range however the RB(K) were also in this range.

While typing this, found my copy of Parkin - M1643 was a dia.28 RB(K).

The dia.28 conversions from RF started in 1970 and 1643 had been done by the date of the pic.

The main visual difference from an RB (which you can't see here) is there are 4 full-size saloon windows and end vestibule doors, the RF was unique in this respect. RB/ RU had blank 'emergency' saloon doors and unevenly spaced/sized windows.

The corridor side 'kitchen' windows were slightly different from RB - RB(K) shown in this pic:

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Coaches/Mk1-Coaching-Stock/Mk1-RF-Restaurant-First/i-d7RPSNX/A

(note the two 3' windows between the two kitchen doors).

So we were both incorrect but got there in the end!🙂

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

57 minutes ago, keefer said:

I hadn't really paid attention to the fact that it's a WCML train, never mind the fact it's The Royal Scot!

That made me think of alternatives and I was mistaken. It's not an RB but an RB(K) - similar to an RB but converted from the dia.17 RF coaches that the LMR insisted on having. 

I was remembering the RB were numbered in the 16xx/17xx range however the RB(K) were also in this range.

While typing this, found my copy of Parkin - M1643 was a dia.28 RB(K).

The dia.28 conversions from RF started in 1970 and 1643 had been done by the date of the pic.

The main visual difference from an RB (which you can't see here) is there are 4 full-size saloon windows and end vestibule doors, the RF was unique in this respect. RB/ RU had blank 'emergency' saloon doors and unevenly spaced/sized windows.

The corridor side 'kitchen' windows were slightly different from RB - RB(K) shown in this pic:

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Coaches/Mk1-Coaching-Stock/Mk1-RF-Restaurant-First/i-d7RPSNX/A

(note the two 3' windows between the two kitchen doors).

So we were both incorrect but got there in the end!🙂

Thank you very much @keefer, interesting and enlightening! The explanation of the differences shows how little I knew of the visual differences.

I can cope with RMB vs restaurant or full buffet car but not with the various minutiae of all the range of original types and then the alterations and conversions performed later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Lancaster training wagon 17th May 72 C1388

Catfish in Gulf Red

Paul

I think the lettering on the wagon is Hopper Train No.6 rather than Training. I’ve seen other photos of ballast hoppers being lettered as part of numbered hopper trains.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, 50A55B said:

I think the lettering on the wagon is Hopper Train No.6 rather than Training. I’ve seen other photos of ballast hoppers being lettered as part of numbered hopper trains.

Well spotted, here is a Catfish in Hopper Train no. 6 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcatfishzev/e786cbc9  and another https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcatfishzev/e8aa6b23

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 13/09/2023 at 09:23, DaveF said:

The Talyllyn Railway with one photo from 1969 and the rest from 1979.

bTywynPendreNo2DolgochAug69J1894.jpg.8cabbf2339b447d95b6688a302563007.jpg

Tywyn Pendre?  No 2 Dolgoch Aug 69 J1894

AbergynolwynFletcherJennings1Talyllyn10thAug79C4780.jpg.0aecdbb79bcd7024dec60a769783170e.jpg

Abergynolwyn Fletcher Jennings 1 Talyllyn 10th Aug 79 C4780

AbergynolwynFletcherJennings1Talyllyn10thAug79C4782.jpg.d18769c8d5241254bd212023d8cf370b.jpg

Abergynolwyn Fletcher Jennings 1 Talyllyn 10th Aug 79 C4782

NantGwernolFletcherJennings1Talyllyn10thAug79C4778.jpg.480c2a2031fb5815d4f6cc9226c0353a.jpg

Nant Gwernol Fletcher Jennings 1 Talyllyn 10th Aug 79 C4778

NantGwernolFletcherJennings1Talyllyn10thAug79C4779.jpg.7680d3739a1ab26ccfe9d99da402dff5.jpg

Nant Gwernol Fletcher Jennings 1 Talyllyn 10th Aug 79 C4779

NantGwernolHughes3SirHaydn10thAug79C4784.jpg.b8c4ec14ceb87a169a577cf85549ea9c.jpg

Nant Gwernol Hughes 3 Sir Haydn 10th Aug 79 C4784

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 45655 said:

Oops!  What I meant to say was, J1894 is definitely Pendre, with the loco yard turnout on the right.  1969 was the first year that passenger trains crossed at Pendre.

That's another location that's barely recognisable now.  There's a housing estate behind the fence and the bank has been dug out to provide additional siding space.

(Sorry I'm a bit late to the party: I've been away and am only now catching up.)

Keith

Alton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1