RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great random set of photo’s. The first photo’ at Hexham, with a Class 156, on a service to Newcatle, on the 23rd January, 2013, is a delightful wintry scene, with the train framed perfectly by the girders supporting the signalbox.

The black and white photo’s of Cambridge, in 1947, 1948, and 1949, are a superb and historic selection. JVol1443, of a Q1 on a breakdown train, in 1947, is the first time I have seen a photo’ of one of the class in any kind of use. Thank you for posting it. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

I had to look up what a Q1 was. 

J

A colour plate illustration was used in the 1960 edition of the Observer's Book of Railway Locomotives* to indicate all the "Points to look for when identifying locomotives' For many years I thought it was a made up loco, the penny dropped eventually when I discovered that it was the Thompson rebuild of a GC 0-8-0.

*It was a favourite bedtime read - I was about 4 and steam was just about to disappear from Kent.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

Great photos! I like the almost ex-works CCT with brown underframe.

And in the container train, is that a gunpowder van just in front of the Peak's nose?

Mail van on the platform too, the sorting office was just out of shot to the right, behind the Midland Hotel.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

the sorting office was just out of shot to the right, behind the Midland Hotel.

Very close to the former Rutland Arms, a Hardys & Hansons house. Very popular with BR/BREL and GPO staff.

• Like 2

C576, a nice short freight. Looking closely at the brake van - not something I've done much before - I did not see the side lamps at first as they blend in, were side lamps always black bodied? Showing white light to front and rear? Sorry, showing my ignorance of basic railway operation here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artless Bodger said:

C576, a nice short freight. Looking closely at the brake van - not something I've done much before - I did not see the side lamps at first as they blend in, were side lamps always black bodied? Showing white light to front and rear? Sorry, showing my ignorance of basic railway operation here.

The "tail" lamp is white, the "sidelights" are black. (Red to the rear, white to the front). If put in loop, the sidelight red shade is removed to show white to rear, nearest to the running line. Guards who do not remember to do this can give you a bit of a start as you approach I can tell you!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

3 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Great photos! I like the almost ex-works CCT with brown underframe.

And in the container train, is that a gunpowder van just in front of the Peak's nose?

Mail van on the platform too, the sorting office was just out of shot to the right, behind the Midland Hotel.

When I painted some model underframes in that purple, I used Caledonian coaching stock purple; some 45 years later, I still have a can.

You're correct about the Gunpowder van at the head of the container train.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of Derby. The last one of a Class 120, on a Crewe to Nottingham service, on the 28th April, 1984, is an excellent photo’, and the trailer car is a class 101 TSL. 

The photo’s from around Aisgill in 1973 and 1974, are a superb and atmospheric selection. J3816, of Class 40, 40046, on a down freight, in July, 1974, is a well composed photo’ of a class 40 hauled freight train. A sight which is long gone.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You and your father must have kept fit getting to some of the spots from where you took photos.

The last lot are great. My only complaint is that they shout out to be modelled but are of course absolutely impossible to reproduce in anything less than an aircraft hanger.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, DaveF said:

DerbyJune69J1768.jpg.267086040e93316e1e4929328228e3e2.jpg

Derby June 69 J1768

As has been noted, almost textbook (well, Corporate Manual) application of blue livery with brown undercarriage. Note, too, that despite the provision of two 'chalkboards' for the purpose, staff still wrote the destination on the bodyside!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland at Southside. C5161, of a Class 45, on an up service, in August, 1980, is a well composed shot of the train, and it can be seen that there is just one first class carriage. 

The photo’s of the Newcastle to Carlisle line at Warden level crossing, west of Hexham, on the 9th June, 1984, are a superb selection. C6506, of a Class 101, on a Newcastle to Carlisle service, is an excellent photo’, and you have captured a view of the signalbox very well. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

C5160 is either 55002 or 55005 based on the nameplate. The weathering looks more like other photos of 55005.

It's 55 005. 2 had single windscreen wipers by August, whilst 5 still had twin wipers. Also, the distance between the edge of the nameplate and the lettering on the top line matches 5 moreso than 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

PeascliffeTunnelClass47upApril77C3278.jpg.de5e47b36485712d2a8403e5f1df5311.jpg

Peascliffe Tunnel Class 47 down April 77 C3278

Great pic of a '+8' set, one of the more modellable ECML expresses (except perhaps for the Mk2d BFK).

This could be a number of services to Newcastle/Bradford/Leeds/Harrogate, some of them named as 'The xxxxx Executive'. Note the high catering provision: RU (mainly for 1st Class meals) and RB as well (extra meals and Buffet counter).

I think these trains were usually Deltic turns. Obviously 47s were used, maybe easier for them to keep time with only 8 coaches (and possibly limited stop?).

• Like 6