Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

16 minutes ago, DaveF said:

The ECML again this morning on Stoke Bank at Swayfield.

SwayfieldClass47up11.32BradfordtoKingsXaSaturdaySept72J3110.jpg.ec3e6c91a2684f77c139b3869f9097d2.jpg

Swayfield  Class 47 up 11.32 Bradford to Kings X on a Saturday Sept 72 J3110

Many thanks!

Interesting track feature in the foreground. Presumably catch points for the bank, but if so should there not be some form of sand drag? Or do they incorporate a retarder of some sort?

I note that they only appear on one of the two down lines, perhaps removed from the other as it appears to have been recently relaid.

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Many thanks!

Interesting track feature in the foreground. Presumably catch points for the bank, but if so should there not be some form of sand drag? Or do they incorporate a retarder of some sort?

I note that they only appear on one of the two down lines, perhaps removed from the other as it appears to have been recently relaid.

They look like the normal catch point used on the ECML and on other routes.  I cannot remember if there were ever catchpoints on the down slow line.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DaveF said:

Swayfield31157downemptiesApr74J3654.jpg.57234c2081a10540fb2feb478208758c.jpg

Swayfield 31157 down empties Apr 74 J3654

Look the distant's off! I don't think we've seen it off before have we?

Andy G

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Look the distant's off! I don't think we've seen it off before have we?

Andy G

It's a 31... the signalman knew that if he stopped the train it would never get moving again with assistance.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a fantastic selection of photo’s of the ECML, on Stoke Bank at Swayfield. J3654, of 31157, on a down train of empties, in April, 1974, is a sight which has not been seen for many years, and thank for posting this excellent photo’ of your Dad’s.

The black and white photo’s of Nottingham London Road Junction are truly superb. JVol2200, of class 8F, 48517, on an up light engine movement, in c1951, is a beautifully composed photo’, and shows a typically weathered 8F.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaveF said:

They look like the normal catch point used on the ECML and on other routes.  I cannot remember if there were ever catchpoints on the down slow line.

David

Are they catch points, or are they expansion joints on an early installation of Long-Welded Rail?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Are they catch points, or are they expansion joints on an early installation of Long-Welded Rail?

I think they are Catch Points, as they have the sign next to them to indicate that they are.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

S for switch or spring?

I seem to remember on the GN some such signs were actually lettered "SWITCH".

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, 31A said:

I seem to remember on the GN some such signs were actually lettered "SWITCH".

This one was by the flat crossing at Retford.  You can see the hand point lever to hold it closed for movements in the wrong direction.

SWITCHsign1.jpeg.ae332584e422704641c9f753365c61c8.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 31A said:

This one was by the flat crossing at Retford.  You can see the hand point lever to hold it closed for movements in the wrong direction.

SWITCHsign1.jpeg.ae332584e422704641c9f753365c61c8.jpeg

Yes, that's clear with the hand lever. The one in the earlier photo didn't appear to have a lever (unless it's lying flat on the ground), hence my question.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, that's clear with the hand lever. The one in the earlier photo didn't appear to have a lever (unless it's lying flat on the ground), hence my question.

I don't know to be honest but I was under the impression that they used the same sign regardless whether or not there was a hand lever; such signs seemed to be quite normal at catch points on the GN lineside at one time!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 31A said:

I think they are Catch Points, as they have the sign next to them to indicate that they are.

Definitely Catch Points. Interesting to note that the 1971 ECML Route Book (Hitchin-Stoke) shows 10 sets of catch points on the Down Main between 90mp and 100mp (Little Bytham-Stoke section). 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DaveF said:

Some photos of the preserved Great Central Railway at Quorn in the 1970s this morning.

QuornandWoodhouseHunsletRobertNelsonNo4Mar75J4168.jpg.7d75728467345e03ee9751f2e9beb7b5.jpg

Quorn and Woodhouse Hunslet Robert Nelson No 4 Mar 75 J4168

QuornNSB377KingHaakonViiRothleytoLoughborough6thSept75C2431.jpg.ad193a6118b9b4bde8428701e50cf408.jpg

Quorn NSB 377 King Haakon Vii Rothley to Loughborough 6th Sept 75 C2431

QuornLittletonNo5RothleytoLoughborough30thMay76C2738.jpg.44d08bf0c5807745d09b804202835ca7.jpg

Quorn Littleton No 5 Rothley to Loughborough 30th May 76 C2738

QuornD11506ButlerHendersonSept76C3016.jpg.52aecf2d9c0ccb8d0c4b95dca5863b62.jpg

Quorn D11 506 Butler Henderson Sept 76 C3016

QuornClass55231Sept76C3019.jpg.301526b992064848bc4f99de93c53997.jpg

Quorn Class 5 5231 Sept 76 C3019

David

First photograph: I wonder what the person with glasses and wearing the duffle coat was planning on hitting with that lump hammer in his hand. 

• Funny 3

20 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I am fairly sure that was before the exhibition moved to the current venue, if I remember correctly it was still in a place on Sauchiehall Street.

I moved to Scotland in March 1984, but just after that year's show! So the first I attended was in 1985, IIRC still then as you say on Sauchiehall Street, in the McLellan Galleries. The show moved, briefly, to Anderston (maybe even just for one year?) before going to the Exhibition Centre (where, by coincidence, I will be at it tomorrow....)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ramrig said:

First photograph: I wonder what the person with glasses and wearing the duffle coat was planning on hitting with that lump hammer in his hand. 

That's wheeltappers's mate, four eyes Frank, he's the one ready to straighten the tension lock couplings after a hard shunt.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s of the preserved Great Central Railway at Quorn in the 1970’s. C3016, of D11, 506, Butler Henderson, in September, 1976, is a lovely portrait shot of the sole surviving D11.

The photo’s of Glasgow Queen Street on the 2nd March, 1984, are an excellent set. C6421, of 20212, on empty coaching stock, is a superb three quarter photo’ of the 20.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1