Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

That last 105 photo shows 2 units, the first a 105 and the second appears to have a 100 powercar and a.n.other trailer at the far end. It does seem that these mix and match 100 units were popular in Anglia in the late 70's.

Thanks Dave

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Such lovely photos of the GEML today. So atmospheric in C3088, with the low sun glinting off the class 47.

The four car DMU in the last photo is indeed a two car 105, then a class 100 DMBS, you can tell the difference from the depth of the solebar, body-side windows, and the roof vents. The last car is a Cravens DTSL.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

So good to see 37’s and 47’s on the GEML!!!!!

Am I right in thinking that the 37/ Type 3 ran it’s first revenue earning service on that route? I remember green ones being everywhere when I was a kid in Shenfield.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

So good to see 37’s and 47’s on the GEML!!!!!

Am I right in thinking that the 37/ Type 3 ran it’s first revenue earning service on that route? I remember green ones being everywhere when I was a kid in Shenfield.

Best, Pete.

The first 30 of the class worked from Stratford, March or Norwich when new. Some of the allocations were probably only for crew training as by October 1961 they had all been concentrated on Stratford for maintenance.

I remember going down to Cambridge station in the evening, about 7.20pm I think, to see the Down Parcels arrive. Copped many of the new EE 3's on that, seemed to be one of their 1st runs in traffic. They soon migrated to the Kings Lynn-Liverpool Street expresses, 9 coaches with a buffet car in the middle. A former IC route (though now diverted to Kings Cross), which is now served by class 365 commuter trains, 4 cars only for most trains north of Cambridge.....isn't progress wonderful....

Stewart

• Like 1

Guest B Exam

Great pictures of the GCR, thanks.

Do you have any photos in your collection of the Midland line from Nottingham to Melton in West Bridgford, after closure, during demolition? That is something I have never seen.

ROB

That is something I'd like to see as its on my doorstep! Never seen any photos of the bridges over Radcliffe, Bridgford, Melton and Rectory Roads!

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Great pictures of the GCR, thanks.

Do you have any photos in your collection of the Midland line from Nottingham to Melton in West Bridgford, after closure, during demolition? That is something I have never seen.

ROB

Rob,

I'm sorry it's taken a while for me to reply.  I've had a quick look at both Dad's and my index of places and I haven't found any - yet.

I think it may be a section of railway we both missed

David

Edited by DaveF

David,

Reverting to C3399 earlier (sorry - I've been away all week) I'm reconsidering my opinion on the Deltic. I've realised that it can't be 13 because it carries a crest above the nameplate, which "The Black Watch" certainly didn't have in 1977 and, after discussions with colleagues, I understand that it was never carried in blue livery. I still contend that it's not 55 004, due the to shortness of the nameplate (unless the angle of the shot is making the plate look shorter), and it's not 55 022 by virtue of the footstep above the bufferbeam. Therefore, it would most likely be 55 016. I think that the dirt on the nameplate probably drew me (erroneously) to the conclusion that it had a three-word name.

Apologies for misdirecting you!

Edited by 35A

Guest B Exam
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. They are all so excellent. The photo's give a valuable historic record of the railway from all those years ago. That last one of the class 20 hauled coke train is a good example. I am so pleased that you posted it, we would have been much poorer without it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Guest B Exam

Never realised there used to be a signalbox at Aslockton. Strange location for it at the Nottingham end of the platform with Aslockton having a level crossing at the Grantham end.

As usual more quality photos! Keep 'em coming Dave!

Edited by B Exam

• RMweb Premium

J1499 seems to have a bit of a red tinge, though I guess you have removed most of it. I assume though that those Class 20s were actually some kind of green? Or is the main livery colour Precision Paints dirt?

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

J1499 seems to have a bit of a red tinge, though I guess you have removed most of it. I assume though that those Class 20s were actually some kind of green? Or is the main livery colour Precision Paints dirt?

Jonathan

Mainly dirt but with green underneath.  Looking at the photo I suspect it was taken towards the end of a December afternoon, possibly on Dad's way home from somewhere.  Hence the warm tones.

The leading loco has a red bufferbeam which indicates green livery, at that time blue 20s had black bufferbeams. The second loco is carrying the BR crest on the bonnet just in front of the cab so again must be in green.

David

Some photos taken on the Great Northern line between Grantham and Nottingham for today.

Edited to add "for" in the above sentence - I didn't really take the photos today.

Would that that were possible... :-)

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some excellent photo's of Didcot, and also from Scotland.

The one from Portobello, C8926, shows that those DMU trailer cars are actually 'Calder valley' TSL's, class 110, and I wonder what was going on there? We're they about to be scrapped?

With warmest regards,

Rob.