L.N.E.R. Locomotives

post-1656-0-18302100-1403128649_thumb.jpg

No prizes for guessing the identity of my latest Railroad Scotsman conversion I hope…? LNER 1947 livery to follow. Replacement cab gets grafted on from the GBL Scotsman models. In process of changing from left hand to right hand drive. Graeme King super heater headers and double chimney already in evidence. This model was second hand off eBay with a broken buffer beam. Now glued back on and worked on using Gamesworkshops green putty to seal the gaps. 

Hopefully will be finished in time for the weekend!

Indeed!

I forgot to post the change to left hand drive last night. Will do so on my return home this evening. The cab has, since posting that pocture, been shorn of moulded handrails and given proper brass ones (finished at 3am this morning during a bout of hayfever induced insomnia). These conversions are cheap, relatively straightforward and producing the models I want. Washout plugs in resin to follow this afternoon...

Simon,

Where are you sourcing your LNER resin washout plugs?

I am looking at converting my second Hornby B17/1 to a B17/6, you can probably see these may help me!!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Simon,

Where are you sourcing your LNER resin washout plugs?

I am looking at converting my second Hornby B17/1 to a B17/6, you can probably see these may help me!!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

I am making them myself. I will see how I get on and will let you know accordingly.

Smoke Deflectors ?   Didnt realise the Railroad FS had gone back to that awful moulded Motion Bracket either .

The smoke deflectors are in the process of being made. I am referring to the Insinglass drawings for Humorist.

The motion bracket is moulded onto the bodyshell but in fairness these can be cut off and the valve gear replaced with a super detail set. I choose to not do that as this is meant to be a set of budget conversions, after all, and thus far at £70 total average across my five locomotives (including sundries such as paint, handrails, and larger items such as tenders and GBL models to gain components for) it's working out quite nicely for some unique and very much individual models.

The motion bracket itself is interesting. I think it's better than Hornby's attempt previously (the old tender drive A4s for one) and I think once painted and weathered, won't be particularly noticeable. We shall see though!

post-1656-0-93657800-1403296058_thumb.jpg

So in what must be a record for me, I've managed to get no.97 nearly ready for the weekend! In less than three days over a period of just four hours, I've managed to modify one of the eBay Railroad Scotsman purchases into a left hand drive A3!

post-1656-0-31235300-1403296030_thumb.jpg

Steam pipe removed on right hand side (as per previous pictures) and a GBL Mallard's steam pipe attached to the left hand side.

post-1656-0-21806300-1403296012_thumb.jpg

Cab from a GBL Flying Scotsman has now been attached, and this has been done in a much better way than the previous model. Essentially I drilled out the bottom of the cab sides from the original cab, and slotted the replacement cab straight in. 

post-1656-0-97269100-1403296020_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, in a cost saving measure, (and with thanks to Isinglass for dispatching their drawings so swiftly!) I have modified a spare set of Graeme King's A2/3 smoke deflectors. I photocopied and then printed the Isinglass drawing, cut out the deflector, and used it as a template for modifying the Thompson originals. Turns out there's ample smoke deflector for modifying. Dimples in the deflector to be filled with humbrol filler and handrails to be fitted imminently.

post-1656-0-29621500-1403296039_thumb.jpg

In addition, I've fitted the banjo dome (another excellent Graeme King resin component) and filed the beading off the chimney (correct for no.97 prior to 1951, according to the Isinglass drawing, and matching the photograph of her in RCTS 2A).

post-1656-0-34017400-1403296049_thumb.jpg

And that's all for this evening, but what a turn around. I am confident of finishing her off (physically at least) for Sunday. I may even have the black bits painted accordingly too.

Until next time.

My recent post war Humorist  here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/943-lner-models-in-4mm/page-26 

near bottom of page. This is based on the NRM version with Brassmaster detail parts and a repaired spare GN tender.

I remember that one now. I have modified the chimney to the plain version sans the beading using a file yesterday evening.

Thanks for your interest Simon, I shall look forward to seeing how you go with the w/o plugs.

Great work with the Pacifics too! I am visiting UK in Sep./Oct. this year, hopefully the D11 with it's G.C. tender will be in the shops.

Cheers, from Oz,

Peter C.

I think I must have overlapped your posting Mick, my apologies.

Smoke deflectors now done, handrails fitted all round. Going to give it another blast over with Humbrol primer. Washout plugs to be attempted this evening.

If it goes according to plan I'll modify all my 4472 models in one batch to get the right boiler types.

It's been great fun creating a fleet of the original Gresley Pacifics, and the modifying of the cabs has proven most fruitful.

I hope everyone will forgive the stark contrast in the colour of the bogie wheels to the driving wheels in some shots. In the flesh the difference in green isn't that noticeable, nevertheless this will be something I will address in time.

So, I have not managed to get the resin washout plugs done today. I'm too tired from work this week and this morning to really do much more, however after a few shots of Humbrol primer, no.97 Humorist is looking halfway there for her trip to Little Bytham this week, together with some other members of Copley Hill's motley crew…!

So, before:

post-1656-0-71278200-1403364320.jpg

and after:

post-1656-0-28054700-1403364289.jpg

post-1656-0-25109800-1403364291.jpg

post-1656-0-53261200-1403364284_thumb.jpg

post-1656-0-56677400-1403364076_thumb.jpg

post-1656-0-24946700-1403364136_thumb.jpg

A comparison:

post-1656-0-93753900-1403364275.jpg

Things I did today: used a scalpel t remove the reverser and replaced it on the left hand side. Fitted the smoke deflectors. Did a bit of tidying up around the buffer beam area. Sprayed all over grey Humbrol primer. Lots more still to do but she is at least presentable for tomorrow.

You know, I know, everybody knows that my modelling is not perfect. It really isn't: it's flawed, sometimes rough and ready, but I strive to do better with each build and with this one, i feel there's a lot I could have done a lot better. However I had never up to this point converted a right hand drive Pacific into a left hand drive one so had no point of reference with which to work with. Therefore the results above should be indicative of a successful first conversion using the Railroad 4472 model as a starting point. Lots to do better but not bad for a first attempt.

Truly, budget modelling is going to be the way to go for me. I've already had to sell a lot of my more expensive models and take up modelling, I figure why not continue in this vein and enjoy it for what it is.

On that note, enjoy the sunshine, and until next time.

post-1656-0-95273400-1403364086_thumb.jpg

Splendid work - as others have commented, your modelling presents some nice, creative ideas. In fact, I'm considering the possibility of following suit and detailing some RailRoad Pacifics - both A1 and A4. The A4s seem like a more difficult proposition, largely due to the tender (which would probably need outright replacing), but I can certainly try...

How easy did you find it to dismantle and modify the chassis?

Splendid work - as others have commented, your modelling presents some nice, creative ideas. In fact, I'm considering the possibility of following suit and detailing some RailRoad Pacifics - both A1 and A4. The A4s seem like a more difficult proposition, largely due to the tender (which would probably need outright replacing), but I can certainly try...

How easy did you find it to dismantle and modify the chassis?

I am working on a Railroad A4 as an alternative prototype to my Silver Fox conversion. I have binned the tender but retained the wheelsets (they are the same as the standard super detail ones). I will post some pictures if you like this evening of that conversion which is currently in undercoat. I am using GBL corridor and non corridor tenders, and hopefully my own resin casts of 1935 tenders soon.

The chassis on the Railroad Scotsman is an absolute doddle, very well designed and a delight really. The A4 is much tougher. I will post pictures of that later this week if that's of interest.

I am working on a Railroad A4 as an alternative prototype to my Silver Fox conversion. I have binned the tender but retained the wheelsets (they are the same as the standard super detail ones). I will post some pictures if you like this evening of that conversion which is currently in undercoat. I am using GBL corridor and non corridor tenders, and hopefully my own resin casts of 1935 tenders soon.

The chassis on the Railroad Scotsman is an absolute doddle, very well designed and a delight really. The A4 is much tougher. I will post pictures of that later this week if that's of interest.

Thank you for the prompt response! I would certainly be interested in seeing the results of your conversion. Like you, I'm mindful of the increasing cost of superdetailed locomotives (especially the Hornby Gresley and Bachmann Peppercorn Pacifics) and am considering cheaper alternatives.

Archived