L.N.E.R. Locomotives

post-1656-0-44918100-1399229009.jpg

It's been a while since I've put anything together on RMweb as a workbench or blog of sorts, but I've had a couple of off-forum emails asking me to put all my recent work on the Great British Locomotives A4 model together in one place on RMweb. 

So here are the relevant links to the blog posts, with descriptions of the modelling I did at each stage of the build.

GBL Mallard conversion to L.N.E.R. no.17 Silver Fox

Part 1: Initial fitting onto Bachmann & Hornby RTR chassis

Part 2: Modifying the front end (including buffers) and the tender

Part 3: Painting the non-corridor tender and Hornby Railroad Chasssis

Part 4: Cutting the Valances away

Part 5: Bachmann Conversion in primer

Part 6: Silver Fox into blue

Part 7: Parabolic lining, Stainless steel lettering and numerals added

I will do more posts in future on some upcoming projects. Finishing a few Thompson Pacifics, one of the excellent 3D printed N1s and J50/3s now available, and a pair of 1948 era Gresley A3s using the Hornby Railroad A1 as a basis together with the Great British Locomotives 4472 model for certain components.

Cracking work mate. Do you have any more details about how you fixed the Flying Scotsman chassis to the body? I don't suppose you know if a tender drive variant would work as I have one of these spare?

Yes - you cut a section of the cab floor, make a box around it and it fits onto the attachment point at the cab end. At the other end, I reused the central fixing mount that needs removing and glued it next to the forward one. Put a screw in and you're done.

I'll put some pictures up tonight to further illustrate what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

Two models I will be going into more detail in later this week. Both are from the excellent AJModels range on Shapeways. The N1 is available in several versions, the J50 is not yet available but will be soon. 

These are 3D printed body shells, fitted to RTR chassis.

post-1656-0-29917900-1400622117.jpg

The N1 uses a Hornby N2 chassis, with minor modifications to the front end to fit. The result is nothing short of spectacular in my view and will really look the part once it has had the transfers and weathering applied.

post-1656-0-26305900-1400622124.jpg

The J50/3 seen here is a prototype, designed to fit on the Bachmann Pannier chassis. Andrew has done an amazing job with this one and I hope once I have the necessary parts, I can do it justice.

Thank you gents for your comments. The N1 required a few blowings over of primer and wet n dry pads before I was satisfied with it.

I just wanted to give a shout out to Lanarkshire Models and Supplies - had a set of Loco Buffers delivered this week, the correct type for the Gresley and Thompson Pacifics. To say I'm happy with them is an understatement and I will be making a repeat order soon.

post-1656-0-39837700-1401651890.jpg

They look superb and fit straight into the existing holes. Once painted and the buffer beam lined out, I'm pretty much done at the front end of 60506.

post-1656-0-47706700-1401651894.jpg

I've been doing some more lining out. Have to finish the cab soon and then add the numerals and hopefully I'll be done and dusted with A2/2…before weathering of course.

post-1656-0-39198700-1401651892.jpg

Nearly there. One of each of the four Thompson types within my grasp. Two more of classes A2/3 and one more A2/2 and I'll probably call it a day on buying and building any more Thommos for my layout.

60506 Wolf of Badenoch has been selected as one of my four locomotives I am taking to a very famous model railway layout at the end of this month.

post-1656-0-89844200-1402181660.jpg

I am quite nervous as she will still be unfinished when taken up there but she is now standard with my A2/1 build after I fitted the newest type of Bachmann's V2 valve gear. The reason for changing to the latest type is partially down to the commonality of parts between the latest V2 and the Peppercorn A2 model on which my A2/2 is based.

The valve gear of the latest V2, with a minor reduction in length of the piston rod and the end of the slide bar on each end, fits perfectly as it has the same type eye of the return crank (the one where there should be two small projections that fit into notches on the end of the long crankpin of the middle wheelset, fixing its orientation as you tighten the crank retaining screw).

post-1656-0-94049800-1402181664.jpg

This will hopefully add in reliability and also means that I have two of the three types of Thompson Pacifics built using this method with Bachmann's excellent V2 valve gear (there are two more on the go, one of A2/1 and one of A2/3). I have standardised on this for the simple reason that it has made making working models of the Thompson Pacifics easily within my grasp.

The improvement on the overall look of the front end of 60506 is enhanced both by the new, better looking valve gear, the steps now fitted and the proper spencer type buffers, properly painted.

post-1656-0-03458900-1402181667.jpg

I have just the washout plugs, numbering and front buffer beam and rear tender lining panels to add before she is ready for her trip away later this month.

She is likely to be joined on the trip away by 60508 Duke of Rothesay, no.17 Silver Fox and 60113 Great Northern, together with the J50 and N1 locomotives shown above, together with a few vehicles of interest. I am hoping they all behave themselves - particularly the Thompson Pacifics as I do not want to further the case for their untimely demises with my own poor modelling efforts…!

I was asked to put up a comparison picture of how my A2/2 first looked.

post-1656-0-07592100-1402347580.jpg

So here it is, alongside another shot in the sunshine.

post-1656-0-80696000-1402347729.jpg

There's three years in-between those two shots. One book, written, edited, illustrated and printed, two house moves, three jobs, two weddings, a funeral and an ex-girlfriend (not linked) and a complete conversion of the attic into a living space from what used to be the attic. So much changed between the start and the near-end of this project.

Reminded me that time is fleeting in a way, but your modelling projects will always be there waiting to be picked up when you need them again. It's not just a hobby sometimes; something more wholesome and wonderful than that. The research, the friendship and the quiet enjoyment and pride when something you've put together works to your own expectations. 

I really like the N1 project and would buy one. However, attempts to get onto the website to enquire the price, it is "stopped". The link to the instructions is OK as are the other links, but it would be nice to know the cost of the body shell. Does anyone know please, assuming it is available?

Tod

I really like the N1 project and would buy one. However, attempts to get onto the website to enquire the price, it is "stopped". The link to the instructions is OK as are the other links, but it would be nice to know the cost of the body shell. Does anyone know please, assuming it is available?

Tod

The prices are on this link - in euros mind.

Thanks, but still "stopped". I get an almost empty page with the word SHOP in red, DESIGN and SELL in black. to the far right is JOIN and SIGN IN. I'm avoiding the latter, not wishing to receive unwanted  commercial advertising. All too difficult, so I'll seek an alternative. I may just scratch build instead.

Tod

Thanks, but still "stopped". I get an almost empty page with the word SHOP in red, DESIGN and SELL in black. to the far right is JOIN and SIGN IN. I'm avoiding the latter, not wishing to receive unwanted  commercial advertising. All too difficult, so I'll seek an alternative. I may just scratch build instead.

Tod

I'm sure if you were to contact Andrew (he's on this forum - thread here) he'd be able to assist in some way. I can 100% recommend the N1 model, as I've built my own from his excellent 3D printed model.

post-1656-0-38841100-1402428660.jpg

post-1656-0-19629500-1402436688.jpg

One model I am enjoying building is this model of Thompson's lone B3/3. 

post-1656-0-49092700-1402436684.jpg

As you can see, it's built from a large number of RTR bits and bobs!

post-1656-0-50135000-1402436686.jpg

This model has been on the boil for nearly two years now. Started in what feels like a completely different life, I've now got around to shortening the B1 chassis at the front end, cutting and re-shaping the running plate (needed to be deeper) and adding the GCR swivel hook on the buffer beam.

On the Isinglass drawings, the depth of the running plate is very similar to the B1, whereas period photographs show the depth of the running plate to be much deeper. I pondered over this for some time, before realising the pitch of the boiler matches that of the original GCR boiler, which means that the standard fittings, though still all within 13ft high, makes the B3/3 slightly taller in a lot of areas compared to Thompson's standard B1 type.

This is perhaps best seen in a side on view. The steps are the correct length and pitched at the right height, but they do not match up to the steps of the GCR tender, unsurprisingly. The handrails have been fitted to the cab - notice the handrails on the front of the cab, one way of recognising the B3/3 aside from the as yet to be modelled splashers, or the larger 6ft 9in wheels (which are Hornby Royal Scot drivers, suitably modified with new balance weights).

Also note the replacement, larger bogie wheels fitted to a Thompson L1 bogie. I am hoping once the guard irons are removed, and a set of separate fittings are attached to the front buffer beam, that the model will look much improved in this area next time out.

Until next time.

Tod

Hi Tod,

Thanks for the interest. Not sure why you're having difficulties but I've PM'd you with some additional info.

Regards

post-1656-0-40810600-1402524381.jpg

Ingredients: Railroad Scotsman (2012 edition), GBL A4 tender, GBL 4472 cab, resin smokebox door, plastic Hornby chimney, whitemetal buffers, replacement driving wheels, cylinders and front bogie and superheater headers to source.

Result: one physically accurate portrayal of no.103 Flying Scotsman as she was in 1947, post war. Handrails to fit, primer to paint and superheater headers to fit at a later date.

post-1656-0-95131600-1402525829.jpg

post-1656-0-74774500-1402525952.jpg

More here.

post-1656-0-74887600-1402859286.jpg

Hornby's Railroad Flying Scotsman. Retooled and then re-released in 2012, complete with an excellent new chassis incorporating a flywheel motor and die cast cartazzi. The heavier chassis runs very well and, in my experience, with a number of them the performance model to model is closer than the sometimes unforgiving super detail chassis.

However, we must remember that this new chassis - which only has pickups on the six driving wheels - is derived from the super detail chassis. There are some significant changes, not least the excellent flywheel mechanism, the reversion to a three pole motor (although this does not seem to affect the running, which is on a par for the excellent Tornado model from the same stable).

post-1656-0-41880200-1402859277.jpg

I did a review when the model came out in March 2013 and that can be found here, with a brief overview and potted history of Hornby's 4472 models to date. I think it would be fair to say that I have mellowed since that review came out, and that with some careful modelling and mixing and matching of components, the Railroad 4472 has provided some great modelling entertainment for me over the last few months and will in future be providing the backbone of my fleet of Gresley Pacifics. 

post-1656-0-50336200-1402859263.jpg

I currently have five of these models in my modelling pile. Four have been picked up with various bits of damage off eBay (two in a week found for £30 and £35 respectively - if you're looking for a perfect as new model, expect to pay between £65 and £80 at the moment) and will in due course be heading for the painting booth once I've finished all of the modifications required.

post-1656-0-91727900-1402859280.jpg

This one is destined to be the only one of the five models to retain its name: it will become Flying Scotsman as she was in 1948, one of the last remaining "A10s" (that's a Gresley A1 with a 180lb boiler fitted), but there are a number of bits and pieces that have had to be changed.

So, in no particular order:

• Tall chimney replaced with post 1928 shorter chimney.

• Smokebox door replaced with a resin cast of Hornby's super detail type.

• The entire cab was cut off using a combination of drilled holes, a scalpel and a set of pliers, and replaced with a Great British Locomotives 4472 cab. This gives us the correct higher cab cut out, cab glazing, sight screens.

• All moulded handrails replaced with wire ones with brass knobs. The moulded ones were carved off with a scalpel and the cab filed/sanded down to be smooth.

• Replaced the driving wheels with fully lined out X9323G type.

• Replaced the front bogie (which is a Thompson type, and with smaller driving wheels) for a X5086G type with fully lined out wheels.

• Replaced the unlined cylinders with the lined out and burnished X9561 type.

• Resin superheater washout plugs from Graeme King's range will be added to the smokebox on this example. I have currently run out and am waiting on supplies. The other 4472 model sports these currently. They are excellent additions.

• The tender has been totally replaced with a set of Hornby super detail frames, and one of the Great British Locomotives Mallard tender body shells. Moulded handrails all round removed with a scalpel, holes redrilled out and handrails fitted as per the modifications to the body.

• Lanarkshire Model & Supplies whitemetal buffers fitted to the front buffer beam by chopping off the originals and filing down the buffer beam. Holes then drilled out and the buffers glued in place. Buy them here. No link to the business just a very satisfied customer.

The one major thing I won't be changing is the boiler type, which for 4472 (as no.103) in 1948 was still the original 180lb boiler. Therefore the washout plugs will remain untouched on this example.

post-1656-0-10152200-1402859260.jpg

I have done some work on another of these models previously, back in October of last year, and you can see the difference in approach to the problematic cab area. On the older project, I added an extra piece to make the cab cut outs the right height. I will on all future models take the approach on the newer project, by replacing the cab altogether. For £9 each, the Great British Locomotives 4472 models have given me an excellent supply of cabs and tenders suitable for my A4 Pacific conversions.

Notice how I have managed to change the coupling to be on the locomotive rather than on the tender on the model in the background. This works much better than the coupling being on the tender and allows a variety of tenders to be attached to the locomotive.

post-1656-0-42014500-1402859270.jpg

On the previous project (which is destined to become no.60110 Robert the Devil) I replaced the original washout plugs to change the boiler type to the round domed A3 type. 

post-1656-0-57015800-1402859266.jpg

These can be seen quite clearly in this close up of the firebox area. Note also the replacement handrails. 

post-1656-0-90038200-1402859274.jpg

The change to the face of the front end is quite clear in this view with the replacement smokebox door, chimney and Graeme King superheater headers. The whitemetal buffers also add to the improvements, and the coupling (from a Hornby L1 super detail pack) is also a pleasing touch. Additions that I could make at this stage are the grab handles on the curved sections of running plate and the middle cylinder cover (one I think I need to experiment with to make a resin cast for a uniform look across the A3/A10 fleet). 

post-1656-0-18246300-1402859283.jpg

So for the moment, that's it on the Gresley A3 fleet. All are left hand drive, I must add, except for one which I hope I will be able to start and finish the physical modelling over the course of this week before I go up north for a running session at the end of this coming week. I may well have no.103 in tow with me as I'm quite proud of how she's turning out. Certainly I am enjoying the modelling a lot. It's giving me the locomotives I want and I'm learning new skills and gaining new ideas all the time. It's been a great exercise.

So on that basis, I owe Hornby a small apology. The Railroad 4472 is still overpriced as is, but second hand and with some ingenuity, you really can turn these into rather convincing models I think. A better modeller will produce something far better than I, I suspect, but for now I am enjoying the journey.

One last thing before I call it a night. The locomotives I am modelling are as follows: no.60 The Tetrach (LNER livery), no.97 Humorist (LNER livery), no.103 Flying Scotsman (LNER livery), no. 60110 Robert the Devil (BR branded LNER livery) and no.60112 St.Simon (BR branded LNER livery).

All apple green, all very different in a number of details and one in particular a slightly more difficult build than the others (Humorist will require changing from left hand to right hand drive and a few other details swapped too). 

Until next time. 

I had a few attempts - would you like me to post some pictures David? I won't say it was entirely successful because it wasn't. I concluded that, in the end, my two hoarded GNR tenders were probably all I needed.

I had a few attempts - would you like me to post some pictures David? I won't say it was entirely successful because it wasn't. I concluded that, in the end, my two hoarded GNR tenders were probably all I needed.

Archived