Is it worth my while going to the SVR on Monday 12th May?

JeffP

I know what your saying jeffp,I was really looking forward to my first trip to the nrm,years ago,it was the most disappointing railway thing ive ever done,I think H&s have ruined most things today in the world i live in,Hate to imagine the steam railways like the svr would be like in the future,Bridgenorth has got some atmosphere now,But they are talking about changing all that ,Think we need a time machine.

I think that we do have a "time machine" in the form of Kidderminster station, which is full of atmosphere IMHO. What spoils most preserved lines for me are new corrugated buildings and lines of tatty stock awaiting attention. The Engine House, like or loathe the architecture, and the loco's within avoids this, and the balcony is a nice place to watch trains and enjoy a cuppa.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

I agree totally that the success of lines not only the SVR, but ones like the NYMR, WSR all face the same issues that we need longer trains to cope with the number of passengers. If we only needed three or four coaches then that would unless the ticket price was very high not be commercially sustainable.

H&S and the fear of either being prosecuted or people making claims against companies either made up or real appears to make all far more risk adverse (and I'm certainly not saying that is a bad thing)

Going on from Dave47459's post, there was a suggestion a couple of years ago when the home's at Bewdley south were replaced by a temporary post that we should have put a colour light signal with route indicators for the year, just for the fun of it (gets coat and runs).

In terms of Bridgnorth there are plans for improving the facilities, the buffet was temporary over 30 years ago, the toilets are not enough on a busy day, baby changing is not up to modern standards, the pub gets too crowded on busy days and the platforms, especially platform 2 is too short.  The development of the station as many will know has been the subject of much debate. Coming out of that a Heritage Committee was set up to help ensure that moving forwards all development is sympathetic to the historical basis of all our stations. Trying to do what is needed at Bridgnorth will be no easy solution either as the initial plans and the discussion which happened showed.

Any changes at Bridgnorth will not happen without alot of consulation first with a development review board which has people from all the different bodies on the railway and then to broader consultation with working members. So while it may be more time before things happen, lots of us based at Bridgnorth want to not loose more of the appeal of the station.

• RMweb Gold

We all have a different take on what we want to get out of a visit to a preserved railway. I have been an occasional visitor to the SVR over more than 30 years, and still rate it one of the very best lines I have visited - but there are many that I haven't. My last trip, almost a year ago, was serene, easy, comfortable (in a BR Mk 1 way) and thoroughly enjoyable. True, when I first attended, I think gricing the loco shed was permitted, but that was then and this is now, and the world doesn't always move on as we might wish.

I am not a museum person - cold artefacts just don't hit the spot for me. But the SVR train, pottering along it's pretty route behind steam, is my idea of money well spent.

Agreed: the travel, the staff, the scenery and the engines all superb.

Something I would do once, personally, unless I lived next , then I'd have a yearly ticket.

But it's a 280 mile round trip for me, sadly........

• RMweb Premium

These big preserved lines are victims of their own success. The more people that visit the longer the trains get (real world parallels) leading to the locomotives being off the end of the platform. The result many enthusiasts and children don't get as close to the engines as they would like. The answer seems to be lengthening the platforms but that then runs the potential risk of destroying the 'preserved' nature of the line blurring the line between commercial venture and preserving something for future generations to enjoy as it was.

I've taken my young son and nephews to a couple of preserved lines when they were under ten and one of the most important things for them was being able to stand on the platform next to their train engine to have a look and even be invited onto the footplate. Far the most memorable thing of the day out for them and what is likely to make them want to go back. Railways taking away that possibility do so at their peril.

• RMweb Gold

Jeff

I know what you mean, I have in laws in Kent. Quite often I drop in at the KESR as I could do with some photos of the SECR P. Never running when I am there.

I enjoyed the Engine House, its the best way of preserving locos that need working on. Much better than leaving them outside. The Watercress line I believe have access to the shed now as it was part of the deal when getting funding. Last time I was in the area they had a gala day so kept well clear. I think that Peak rail have a similar thing in one of their sheds. But the days of roaming about where engines are being worked on/prepared or just waiting for their turn are well over. Pity but quite understandable

On the Mid Hants (Watercress) we have mezzanine viewing areas for the main workshop area, carriage and boiler shops. Not quite the same as being able to wander around at will, but heyho.

As for engine shed, as in engine prep. etc. area, try manky yard with a pit usually full of water, clinker and ash out in the pouring rain at stupid o'clock in the morning.

The romance of steam...

I think it's disgraceful that the SVR still uses the original platform lengths & hasn't extended them, along with yellow lines, 'braille' strips, strip lighting, electronic departure screen, keep out signs etc...  ;-)

Actually, i shouldn't really say that, no doubt a (rather appropriately dim energy saving) lightbulb has just fired into life above some eurocrats head as i speak!

Point of order your honour.... Bridgnorth platform 1 has been extended, the water column just south of the footbridge being where the original platform ended. :D

Archived