Model Rail Limited editions

dibber25

I don't know about that - all but 2 of the Rail Exclusive 47s have sold out incredibly quickly.

To be honest I think part of the problem isn't people spending less, rather it's people now have to pay full price for a standard range item on release rather than picking it up cheaper down the line.

Basically, I suspect that the standard range now also feels limited and 'special' as nothing is standard about it anymore. As a result, the 'limited editions' don't carry the same value as they once did, compared to the standard range.

An exception I can think of is the Hornby Royal 67 - although having said that all but one 67 model has ended up reduced (67001) so perhaps it just isn't as popular a prototype.

Does that make sense?

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it also the case that Hornby are selling direct and haven't been known as a source of limited edition models ( the King through Locomotion seems to be an exception, presumably because of the Kohler connection) and Bachmann are probably prohibitively expensive, with production capacity 4 years down the line. I would think that makes commissioning Ltd editions tricky.  I  suppose that leaves Dapol, DJ Models and Heljan, but none of these seem blessed with production capacity either. Oxford offers potential but probably want to concentrate on developing their own range first . And as has been pointed out , each new mainstream release sort of feels like a limited edition now . So overall I understand why there is not much on the go at the moment

Was there not suggestions of doing a flush-fronted Bachmann Class 45/46 peak at one point? Would that not be a good seller? They always seem to be in demand when they rarely come up on Ebay

There was, but nothing came of it. I can't now remember the reason but I seem to think it was because the current 45/46 tool was not designed to accept alternative ends.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

There was, but nothing came of it. I can't now remember the reason but I seem to think it was because the current 45/46 tool was not designed to accept alternative ends.

CHRIS LEIGH

I'm surprised Bachmann would have been that shortsighted and would imply that the current offerings - split boxes or centre headcode - are separate body tooling. A shame but would explain why we haven't seen a flush front as a standard release.

I'm surprised Bachmann would have been that shortsighted and would imply that the current offerings - split boxes or centre headcode - are separate body tooling. A shame but would explain why we haven't seen a flush front as a standard release.

it certainly does sound odd when there are 3 different options for ends have either appeared already or are on their way soon - split boxes, centre headcode and the split centre headcode

Not shortsighted. It depends on ho wmany other details have to be changed as well. Sometimes its less expensive to make a complete separate tool than to make a complex tool with interchangeable slides. But then, the separate tool may not be available for limited editions if it is not being run for the main production run.

Not shortsighted. It depends on ho wmany other details have to be changed as well. Sometimes its less expensive to make a complete separate tool than to make a complex tool with interchangeable slides.

Indeed, I think by the time the 45s received flush front ends that various roof panels and side steps had been plated over, so there would be changes required to the body too I would have thought?  Nevertheless, it does seem odd that Bachmann haven't produced the flush-fronted model, as I would have estimated it might have been the most popular variant of the lot?

Indeed, I think by the time the 45s received flush front ends that various roof panels and side steps had been plated over, so there would be changes required to the body too I would have thought?  Nevertheless, it does seem odd that Bachmann haven't produced the flush-fronted model, as I would have estimated it might have been the most popular variant of the lot?

the side steps up to the boiler filler? They've certainly been plated over on some of the releases that have come out.

The flush-fronted model is certainly the one I'm looking forward to, although I've still bought a split headcode one

I have enjoyed reading the replies over limited editions. Perhaps they are less special now because of the price.... I am not convinced though as I adore my limited edition models.

But certainly does seem that there are less and less opportunities to make a limited edition which 'stands out' enough to sell 500 within a limited market.

Though, GBRf have a super range of specials, but I have noted GBRf does not seem to sell fast...I still hold sure on anything DRS, Network Rail and would welcome a Bachmann choice of WCR and Riviera. But I utterly understand perhaps only myself and five other potential customers would buy.

If I might make a suggestion...

... can you have a chat with Hornby about producing a southern region 08/09 with high level pipes in blue. A kind of follow up to the USA tank.

Griff

Unfortunately, Hornby is no longer able to supply limited editions below 1,000 pieces and even then, the last time we asked for a run of 1,000 (the Remembrance Class 91) we were turned down. While delivery dates remain so unpredictable, there is very little incentive to order limited editions as, by the time they are delivered much of the interest that was generated in them has waned.

CHRIS LEIGH

Can you split the 1000 pieces over 2 numbers? so if the models are identical other than printed number?

I'm just wondering whether it could be easier for you to make multiple sales to the same interested customers if there is more than one number on offer

Can you split the 1000 pieces over 2 numbers? so if the models are identical other than printed number?

I'm just wondering whether it could be easier for you to make multiple sales to the same interested customers if there is more than one number on offer

Committing to take 1,000 of a locomotive requires a substantial capital investment. Before we commission a Limited edition we have to be very confident that we can sell them within an agreed timescale. We can be pretty confident with most runs of 500 and the occasional run of 1,000 such as the BBMF Class 91, but we consider many projects which are dropped because we cannot muster sufficient confidence about the potential sales.

CHRIS LEIGH

Not shortsighted. It depends on ho wmany other details have to be changed as well. Sometimes its less expensive to make a complete separate tool than to make a complex tool with interchangeable slides. But then, the separate tool may not be available for limited editions if it is not being run for the main production run.

I'm sorry Chris, but in this instance I beg to differ. 

Although I have never owned one, Bachmann has already produced The Royal Marines with the flush front. 

As has been mentioned, blanking plates are already fitted/supplied to the split box machines that I have, so I do see it as an oversight not producing the Peaks with a separate end and any additional roof detail.

Surely it can't be beyond the wit of man!

These were all split box 053s or 120s with the lights still using the original LEDs.

(Edited for missed information.)

post-18670-0-05061000-1437432561_thumb.jpg

post-18670-0-38368300-1437432748.jpg

I'm sorry Chris, but in this instance I beg to differ. 

Although I have never owned one, Bachmann has already produced The Royal Marines with the flush front. 

As has been mentioned, blanking plates are already fitted/supplied to the split box machines that I have, so I do see it as an oversight not producing the Peaks with a separate end and any additional roof detail.

Surely it can't be beyond the wit of man!

These were all split box 053s or 120s with the lights still using the original LEDs.

(Edited for missed information.)

I'm sorry, I don't now remember the details and I wasn't directly involved in the negotiations with Bachmann. The person who might remember no longer works for Model Rail. I know that, at the time, Bachmann gave us sound reasons why they were not able to produce this model for us. Limited editions are ALWAYS bolt-ons to the end of a standard production run. If, for whatever reason, the manufacturer decides that he can't run that particular model, there's nothing we can do about it. From memory - and it's a long time ago - it would have been necessary for Model Rail to finance partial new tooling and we were not in a position to do that. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Grainflow should fill a nice gap in quite a few people's loco fleet- I look forward to seeing pictures of the model when it's released.

I am curious though, if as stated, limited editions are always bolt-ons to the end of a standard production run- what run were these 'bolted' onto?

The last Bachmann 37/0 that I remember was 37034, but that has a different roof arrangement, so you couldn't just swap the noses.

And none of the announced class 37 models on Bachmann's website fit the bill either...

I don't mean to nit-pick or pick holes, and I hope this sells as well as it deserves to, but I'm genuinely curious.

Grainflow should fill a nice gap in quite a few people's loco fleet- I look forward to seeing pictures of the model when it's released.

I am curious though, if as stated, limited editions are always bolt-ons to the end of a standard production run- what run were these 'bolted' onto?

The last Bachmann 37/0 that I remember was 37034, but that has a different roof arrangement, so you couldn't just swap the noses.

And none of the announced class 37 models on Bachmann's website fit the bill either...

I don't mean to nit-pick or pick holes, and I hope this sells as well as it deserves to, but I'm genuinely curious.

It was offered to us by Bachmann as an add-on to the run of Class 37s for the standard range, whatever those are. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Will it not be the Dutch 37254 and the Mainline liveried one that it'll have been added onto? Both 37/0s even if they're centre-headcode (cant remember the number of the mainline one off the top of my head)

Err. No.

There's the small matter of the horns to consider for a start!

Then there are also the roof ribs...

(edit for the roof ribs- I always forget the roof ribs!)

Err. No.

There's the small matter of the horns to consider for a start!

Then there are also the roof ribs...

(edit for the roof ribs- I always forget the roof ribs!)

Err Yes! They're still Class 37/0's which are due around the same time so they'll have the tooling out in all variations (split / centre headcode, boiler ports, roof horns or not etc)

The other models are 37242 in Mainline blue and 37174 in EWS. Doesn't look like there's another Split headcode 37/0 in this batch

Err Yes! They're still Class 37/0's which are due around the same time so they'll have the tooling out in all variations (split / centre headcode, boiler ports, roof horns or not etc)

The other models are 37242 in Mainline blue and 37174 in EWS. Doesn't look like there's another Split headcode 37/0 in this batch

Pardon?? I'm sorry, I fail to follow your logic there.

Just because Bachmann have announced 3 class 37/0s (all centre headcode machines at that) how on earth do you conclude that Bachmann will also 'have the tooling out in all variations' as well?

As Chris stated, all limited editions are 'bolt-ons' to a production run. 

Therefore, I can't see Bachmann dusting off the split box tooling just for a limited edition because they happen to be producing the centre box version again.

Do you know something that no-one else does, or are you speculating?

Archived