RMweb

Is there a detailing kit for 00-scale West Country?

I just managed to get a Hornby WILTON and although all of the parts seem to be intact, I feel she could do with a "spruce up".

Does anyone do a detailing kit for  West Country / Battle of Britain? I doubt I'll be running it much on my layout (if at all), and I bought it more for nostalgia's sake. Being  Bournemouth loco, it wouldn't have been a regular visitor to the Central Division! But my father was at Salisbury, and well, I just like them.

Many thanks,

John

Beaten to it by Ivan!

Genesis also do some white metal replacement pipework.

Markits have some safety valves.

Then there are Hornby's own detailing bits, available from the likes of Peter's Spares.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

Robert is now, thankfully,  the custodian of the Albert Goodall range, Alberts parts were designed primarily to improve the Airfix kit, original Margate Hornby and Wrenn Bulleids.

The China Bulleids need less work, and therefore parts, Julian has already mentioned the bogie wheels (although I am yet to change these on my fleet) but I would definitely recommend Roberts own etches for the cylinder drain pipes 4SLP006 and his lost wax castings for the front steps 4SLP030 that are not only nicer than the Hornby plastic ones but far stronger and have a additional mounting point behind the buffer beam.

• 6 months later...

Stumbled over this old thread while looking to see where I might be able to locate replacement tender ladders for a Hornby Westward Ho! Rebuilt WC loco. 

The Hornby parts, including the tender base, are nowhere to be found - nobody seems to have them.

Why don't Hornby keep a good supply of this stuff available??? This loco was only made about 5 years ago.

Anyone know where I could get them?

Alternatively, looking at the RT Models website linked to in this thread I would not know which ones I'd need to get or if they would need painting or how they would attach to the model (please excuse my complete ignorance here!)

There are 'lost wax' and 'white metal' versions....I have no idea what any of that means!!!

Are any other of the parts that RT Models supply worth getting for improving the look of both rebuilt and unrebuilt WC/BoB/MN Hornby locos? - keeping in mind my collection of them are all are post-2002 China-made models.

Any advice/suggestions most welcome!

You'd be very lucky to get any body parts from Hornby - their production process in China simply doesn't allow for that kind of thing, because keeping stocks of spare bodies would cost them money.

This is all a long way away from the heyday of pre-China Margate when every single part for every single loco was available as a spare.

You'd be very lucky to get any body parts from Hornby - their production process in China simply doesn't allow for that kind of thing, because keeping stocks of spare bodies would cost them money.

This is all a long way away from the heyday of pre-China Margate when every single part for every single loco was available as a spare.

Yeah, I can believe that - what you say about the Margate days. Something Hornby really should address.

It seems my only choice for now for replacement tender ladder steps on my Westward Ho model is to contact RT Models and get their advice on which ones to use...

Archived